The Book Thread

Amay

15 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

You are really making good use of being at home :thumbsup: , I hardly get time to read a book, even for 10-15 mins.  Any idea on how to put aside some time for reading on a regular basis ?

Honestly, just start. I feel that if you can get hands on a book that is just fantastic and you just wanna keep going and find out, you'll make time on your own. 

Get an engrossing book that will make you wanna read. Probably fiction at first.

I have a similar routine, I read before bed, been reading since 16 years now and nowadays I listen to audiobooks/podcasts if I go for a walk.

20 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

I thought this franchise was over

Its back and I'm damn excited lol 

I just find Edward wayy more interesting than Bella. Plus I wanna read his family dynamic.

Its just the first book, same story but from Edward's perspective.

22 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

You are really making good use of being at home :thumbsup: , I hardly get time to read a book, even for 10-15 mins.  Any idea on how to put aside some time for reading on a regular basis ?

Well if you want to read fiction or fantasy you could join a book club over on discord. I do that sometimes if there's a particular book I wanna read with other people. Could help reduce friction a lot.

I can provide links if anyone's interested, its a pretty nice community and quite a few books being read. I warn you though, plenty of general chatter in there as well lol

I don't count books, but I think I've read 30 books or so since quarantine started so going good so far, thanks a lot! :) 

1 minute ago, Chirag2001 said:

Well if you want to read fiction or fantasy you could join a book club over on discord. I do that sometimes if there's a particular book I wanna read with other people. Could help reduce friction a lot.

I can provide links if anyone's interested, its a pretty nice community and quite a few books being read. I warn you though, plenty of general chatter in there as well lol

I don't count books, but I think I've read 30 books or so since quarantine started so going good so far, thanks a lot! :) 

Awesome ?

Something like this. Got into the Falling Kingdoms Saga and I was engrossed. Need to know what happens next. 

Couldn't stop reading, look at the purchase dates lol.

e88715f496c43bb015c7b8c3f2409e40.jpg

Edited by Chirag2001

17 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Something like this. Got into the Falling Kingdoms Saga and I was engrossed. Need to know what happens next. 

Couldn't stop reading, look at the purchase dates lol.

e88715f496c43bb015c7b8c3f2409e40.jpg

Finished the fallen kingdom saga. Thanks for the recco man..was really good but a bit of young adult types... Really itching for a good fantasy series. Any suggestions..leave the obvious aside..

On 6/20/2020 at 8:31 PM, Chirag2001 said:

I haven't read Wheel of Time either. Only the first book. I'm gonna read the whole series later this year, will start again from Book 1.

If you haven't read Brandon Sanderson for some reason, easy recommendation. Mistborn, Stormlight Archive, Warbreaker. All are fantastic, a little long perhaps but its fantasy at the highest level.

Other than Sanderson's works,  will recommend-

• The Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemisin. Won lots of awards, very well respected.
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Just such a merry band of misfits. This one does the flashbacks-current events timeline switching though, in case you're not a fan of that. The trilogy is called the Gentlemen Bastards Sequence.
  • The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. The best bromance I've ever read, and its such a jolly good time. Pure entertainment. Also a trilogy.
  • The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The best in Grim Dark. Also a trilogy, but there are more books connected to the plot.
  • The Falling Kingdoms Saga by Morgan Rhodes. If you like Game of Thrones, ask no more. Betrayals, murders, politics, plot twists and incest.  6 books. but short.
  • Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennet. Currently ongoing, Shorefall the sequel just came out.
  • The Prince of Fools Trilogy/Red Sister Trilogy by Mark Lawrence, but I haven't read this myself.

If you like traditional fantasy, I'd pick number 3, Riyria Revelations. Sadly Amazon does not have the paperbacks.

And my personal favourite, The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Only book I'll rate better than Sanderson. Only 2 books out right now, but a third should be out soon, ending the trilogy (we've been waiting 7 years for this though)

Did not mention the obvious- Lord of the Rings, and A Song of Ice and Fire (will read once GRR gives me the next book)

@Madmage Yeah FK is Young Adult. Some people call it Game of Thrones for teens lol.

Anyway I listed some of my recs above ^^

Do tell what you pick up and read next :) 

36 minutes ago, Madmage said:

Read everything in the list except broken earth trilogy and foundry side.. broken earth looks good.. Will give it a shot...thanks

Yeah read the first two books of stormlight, when Is the new one out.

Read the third one, the fourth book - Rhythm of War comes out in October if I'm not wrong.  Kindle pre-order so I can immediately start reading. Very hyped.

Also yes, Broken Earth is really good. Do you also buy on kindle, or paperback/hardbacks? 

15 minutes ago, pbpoovannagamer said:

i just finished the first book in the Mistborn Trilogy, it bloody amazing and so damn interesting, just loving this author's work. 

Sanderson is the embodiment of fantasy gods man. Every book is mind blowing.

The Final Empire is my favourite out of the three Misborn books, but most people like the final one best. Anyway do keep going, stuff goes through the roof in the next two books.

If you liked any moments/characters, do share in this thread.

If its spoiler, put it in the spoiler tab. For MB Book 1- 

Spoiler

I really miss Kelsier, but even though he's dead he's still very important. You'll see. 

Edited by Chirag2001

5 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Sanderson is the embodiment of fantasy gods man. Every book is mind blowing.

The Final Empire is my favourite out of the three Mistborn books, but most people like the final one best. Anyway do keep going, stuff goes through the roof in the next two books.

If you liked any moments/characters, do share in this thread.

If its spoiler, put it in the spoiler tab. For MB Book 1- 

Reveal hidden contents

I really miss Kelsier, but even though he's dead he's still very important. You'll see. 

the final empire is so intriguing, a crazy despot and those damn Steel inquisitors, the concept of Allomancy and Feruchemy was so refreshing to read from the regular magic in fantasy novels. 

the author does such a good job revealing poignant things as the story progresses that kept me turning the page, one night i stayed up to 3 AM reading :D. Love all the supporting characters along with Vin and Kel. 

Spoiler

The final scene with the Lord ruler having killed the hero of ages and taking power for himself and the reveal about him being the terrsiman in the log journals just blew my mind as i did not see that coming and him just using a trick to control world  made me in awe of the whole plot. i liked the fact that kelsier did not live to be a hero and that he foreshadowed his own demise with letters to his crew, as his death and everything he stood for was justified. Marsh turning into a steel inquisitor was so :fogug: and so damn cool . Now i gonna get all his books. Stormlight Archive is what i am going to pick up once done with this.  

11 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Read the third one, the fourth book - Rhythm of War comes out in October if I'm not wrong.  Kindle pre-order so I can immediately start reading. Very hyped.

Also yes, Broken Earth is really good. Do you also buy on kindle, or paperback/hardbacks? 

Went out of space for books when the Kindle came out. Need space for comics and blu rays. Lol.

On.my third kindle now.. older ones have been passed down.

1 hour ago, Madmage said:

Went out of space for books when the Kindle came out. Need space for comics and blu rays. Lol.

On.my third kindle now.. older ones have been passed down.

Oh nice. My dad and I both own one, though its not the paperwhite, its the 5th generation kindle.

I'm running out of space for physical books, so switching to kindle hard. Earlier I only bought on kindle if I didn't want to have the book on my shelf, but now almost every book I buy on kindle.

Its a lot easier too.

Next time will go for the paperwhite if I ever need to upgrade, but this one's been serving me well for quite a few years now :) 

10 minutes ago, adity said:

New kindle has back-light so only go for Paperwhite if you want higher resolution and water resistance. Otherwise, basic kindle works great. 

Yeah the 300 ppi resolution is worth it, but don't need to as of now.