The Book Thread

Amay

Half way through Jade City, and HOLY f**k is this book amazing. I'm blown away considering this is a debut novel. I'd give it a 9/10, bump it to a 10 if it ends well. The sequel is also supposedly amazing.

Also maybe too much fantasy and sci-fi, thinking I'll take up @adity 's rec and read Shantaram sometime this year. Preferably before November, because from then I'm gonna be reading at least 4 books which are 1000+ pages, and Shantaram is also a thicc boy 

40 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Half way through Jade City, and HOLY f**k is this book amazing. I'm blown away considering this is a debut novel. I'd give it a 9/10, bump it to a 10 if it ends well. The sequel is also supposedly amazing.

Also maybe too much fantasy and sci-fi, thinking I'll take up @adity 's rec and read Shantaram sometime this year. Preferably before November, because from then I'm gonna be reading at least 4 books which are 1000+ pages, and Shantaram is also a thicc boy 

Shantaram is alright man..was blown away when I read it during my younger days. 

Tried rereading it a few months back. It's terribly written. Avoid

so, the second book of the stormlight archives - words of radiance, doesn't waste any time and starts with a bang right where the first one left off.  I was expecting more new characters and some boring sub plots in the beginning chapters, but no, it gets right down to action actually reveals a lot more about the world and the lore.  Damn, can't believe I'm saying this, but even Shallan's chapters have become interesting :D

Edited by Ne0

10 hours ago, Madmage said:

Shantaram is alright man..was blown away when I read it during my younger days. 

Tried rereading it a few months back. It's terribly written. Avoid

8 hours ago, adity said:

I really love Shantaram. Has a lot of heart. 

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try next month, if I'm not liking it I'll just pick something else. 

• 2 weeks later...

Idk why I'm updating, I generally do that AFTER I finish, or at the end of month/season. More than halfway through Midnight Sun, and its changing things for the better. 

If you don't know, its basically Twilight, from the dude's (Edward's perspective). If you liked the books/movies, give this a shot. If you liked the books, but hated the movies, you'll like this.

I grew up reading this, I've reread it tens of times just cuz its familiar and engaging, and considering that this remake is twice as thick, it adds a lot of depth to the story.

Kinda slow month. Will finish this book by the end of the month for sure. 

October gonna be lit. Fall and Winter months are always fantastic for reading. Will update complete list of books I already read, and books I will read once September is done.

Happy Fall reading, everyone :) 

DG's new review for Dune. 

Reflects my thoughts on it as well. I liked it well enough, and I can see the influence, but I have some problems that I just associate with the book being written a long time ago.

I was thinking of giving it another shot before the movie comes out, but I'll skip it. Hopefully the movie solves the issues with pacing and the dead ends in the side plots. 

Hey Guys, looks like lot of fantasy book fans here.

I have been reading lot of books these days, no fantasy stuff yet. Wanted to read a biography kinda book, any good recommendations? Any good non fiction would do as well.

Have a long list of to-read books but that does confusing at times. Some good suggestions here might set things straight.

Closest to a biography I read was My Life by Abdul Kalam and also read Shoe Dog, definitely one of my fav now.

39 minutes ago, Harish Sangwan said:

read Shoe Dog, definitely one of my fav now.

Ahh I'm reading that in November myself, very excited. Yes, this thread has a good bit of fantasy and scifi fans, but we read other stuff too.

Would really recommend Ride of a Lifetime, the autobiography of Disney's CEO. Just fantastic. 

Edited by Chirag2001
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Harish Sangwan said:

Did have that on my list, shall start this then. Thanks.

Anything from Indian authors to suggest?

Umm sorry, I haven't read any of those. I'm sure there are others here who will chime in with suggestions.

Other than that, I can recommend Becoming by Michelle Obama. I liked it quite a bit, and my family also enjoyed it too. Happy reading. 

8 hours ago, Harish Sangwan said:

I have been reading lot of books these days, no fantasy stuff yet. Wanted to read a biography kinda book, any good recommendations? Any good non fiction would do as well.

Have a long list of to-read books but that does confusing at times. Some good suggestions here might set things straight.

Closest to a biography I read was My Life by Abdul Kalam and also read Shoe Dog, definitely one of my fav now.

Not really a biography, but the book - 'the everything store' is a good one tracing the startup story of the website Amazon.com

Edited by Ne0
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Harish Sangwan said:

Primarily non fiction reader here. 

Some good suggestions:

Bad Blood (About the Theranos scandal - non fiction, reads like a fiction)

Flash Crash (how a single guy in a room triggered the biggest crash in US stock market history)

Bottle of Lies (story of India's generic drug companies)

Commander in Cheat - Explaining Trump vis Golf (hilarious)

• Like 2

I can recommend Becoming by Michelle Obama. I liked it quite a bit, and my family also enjoyed it too. Happy reading. 

Been seeing this one at quite a few places and lot of good reviews. Will give this one a read after a few other books. Thanks though.

Not really a biography, but the book - 'the everything store' is a good one tracing the startup story of the website Amazon.com

This one does look good. And Amazon is something almost connects with. Will surely get to this one.

Primarily non fiction reader here. 

Some good suggestions:

Bad Blood (About the Theranos scandal - non fiction, reads like a fiction)

Flash Crash (how a single guy in a room triggered the biggest crash in US stock market history)

Bottle of Lies (story of India's generic drug companies)

Commander in Cheat - Explaining Trump vis Golf (hilarious)

Must say you have some really good ones in the list there. Haven't heard any of them before but checked them out online, definitely must reads.

Thanks guys. Pretty good list shaping up. Shall drop in here more often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Harish Sangwan said:

Been seeing this one at quite a few places and lot of good reviews. Will give this one a read after a few other books. Thanks though.

I agree with Bird, check out Bad Blood. Its really good. Its about a blood testing startup that turned out to a bunch of lies, sounds silly but it was fantastic.

Yes drop in more often, update here when you're done. We do it for games, why not books.

@Bird Bird Bird Did being a doctor having anything to do with this? I also read it based on a recommendation by a doctor hehe

Will check out some others you mentioned. 

Edited by Chirag2001

37 minutes ago, Harish Sangwan said:

Must say you have some really good ones in the list there. Haven't heard any of them before but checked them out online, definitely must reads.

Thanks guys. Pretty good list shaping up. Shall drop in here more often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look beyond the usual popular ones, mate. They are heavily promoted, hence you see them more. 

Real gems are hidden. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy those books. :wub:

32 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

I agree with Bird, check out Bad Blood. Its really good. Its about a blood testing startup that turned out to a bunch of lies, sounds silly but it was fantastic.

Yes drop in more often, update here when you're done. We do it for games, why not books.

@Bird Bird Bird Did being a doctor having anything to do with this? I also read it based on a recommendation by a doctor hehe

Will check out some others you mentioned. 

Well, a bit, yeah. But I read a lot of medical/tech/financial non fiction, and some political too (primarily regarding Trump), so Theranos was a no brainer. 

I'm sure Nikola tech is turning out to be a bigger shitshow than Theranos. 30 billion USD market cap without showing any working tech or producing any product. You guys need to read the Hindenburg report on Nikola. Real life non fiction is stranger than fiction. Developing story. 

My room is still in a mess, but we're getting there. 

Unfortunately, there are quite a few books I wanna let go. Old textbooks and exam stuff will go to juniors who live nearby, but I've books I read as a kid-

Secret 7, Goosebumps, Secrets of Doon, and the like. 

I don't know anybody in my society who'd like em, and don't really have any cousins younger than me. I read quite a bit, so these are like complete sets in fantastic condition.

Any idea what I can do with these? I don't wanna donate them just anywhere, I'd like to give it somebody who actually wants them.

Sadly the used book market is terrible in India, I'd make quite bit of money if I was in Canada/US, they have a pretty good system for books. So I'd just like to give them away I guess. 

If anybody reading this has kids/siblings, and might want to talk, please do PM. 

Any suggestions?

Edited by Chirag2001