The Book Thread

Amay

48 minutes ago, realsoccerdude111 said:

Not following my own advice xD

Ill start with mine.(Not neccesarily in preffered order)

Authors -

Agatha christie,Douglas preston - Lincoln Child, Daniel Silva, P.G Wodehouse,Haruki Murakami,Munshi Premchand,Ludlum

Books -

And then there were none by Agatha Christie

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Ice limit by Douglas preston/Lincoln child

Kafka on the shore by Murakami

Jeeves/Ukridge stories collection by Wodehouse

The Hitchikers guide to galaxy by Douglas Adams

Name of the rose by Umberto Eco

Nice to know there are ppl who appreciate 'the fountainhead' :good:

Many guys dismiss it as gibberish/rant and others view her works to be right leaning.  I think book was a concise view on individualism vs herd mentality, and the book itself shouldn't be hated based on the other unrelated (to the book) views of the author.

7 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Nice to know there are ppl who appreciate 'the fountainhead' :good:

Many guys dismiss it as gibberish/rant and others view her works to be right leaning.  I think book was a concise view on individualism vs herd mentality, and the book itself shouldn't be hated based on the other unrelated (to the book) views of the author.

I feel that the Fountainhead is a great book

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of oathbringer (3rd book of the stormlight archives), and man, this book is turning out to be better than the previous two.  But I can't imagine anyone trying to make this into a TV show or a movie.  There's so much of stuff that would look so common on screen (like lightweaving , lashing etc) , people might just dismiss it as regular stuff, if they don't understand the mechanisms behind it (as explained in the book in such detail).  I guess even the whole concept of fabrials / spren etc., would look so mediocre on screen, only reading the book would do it justice.

3 hours ago, Ne0 said:

I'm in the middle of oathbringer (3rd book of the stormlight archives), and man, this book is turning out to be better than the previous two.  But I can't imagine anyone trying to make this into a TV show or a movie.  There's so much of stuff that would look so common on screen (like lightweaving , lashing etc) , people might just dismiss it as regular stuff, if they don't understand the mechanisms behind it (as explained in the book in such detail).  I guess even the whole concept of fabrials / spren etc., would look so mediocre on screen, only reading the book would do it justice.

There is a lot of buzz about it, and Brandon has acknowledged it too. He talks about it in great detail on his youtube channel.

It is possible that the Mistborn books are made into movies, while Stormlight Archives is made into a TV show.

A lot of people feel the exact opposite way by the way. Most of my friends and fellow Stormlight fans feel Oathbringer to be weaker than the first two, though I disagree. I cannot choose between them the same way a parent cannot choose between their children. I do feel that Dalinar Kholin, truly is, Sanderson's masterpiece through and through. His backstory in Oathbringer adds so much character depth to Dalinar, its bonkers.

I of course, like the real time events as well. 

I'm not sure if you've reached 'that point' yet, if you have you'll know what I'm talking about, without giving any spoilers. Glad you're enjoying OB :dance:

Not sure if you read Warbreaker before starting OB, but it adds a lot to the experience if you did. 

Story wise , the previous two books might have an edge over book 3, but seen purely from a world-building/exploration perspective, Book 3 explores a lot more of Roshar & the spren world than the previous two books.  Of course, I'm still midway so not sure how its gonna go further down, but in fantasy novels, I like to know more about the fictional world as much as the plot !

Finished Rhythm of War, i.e. Stormlight Archive Book 4.

10/10. Best book this year for me. 

Might even be my favourite entry in the series so far. 

Took me a little over a week, but I read like 55 chapters these past two days lol. 

10 hours ago, Madmage said:

Am reading the stormlight archives again.

On Book 2 now. Reading at my own pace, so am sorted for a couple of months. So much stuff to do.lol

Glad to hear it. Enjoy :)

And you can read Book 4 this time! I promise, you're in for a ride.

But do read Warbreaker before Book 3. And Mistborn Secret History before Book 4.

@Ne0 I'd recommend the same. 

1 hour ago, Madmage said:

Seriously?.mistborn is linked to this? Been over ten years since i read that.

I think all of sanderson's works are interlinked, they all happen inside his own fictional setting.  I haven't read his other books, but have read that some characters are interlinked between the books as well.

3 hours ago, Madmage said:

Seriously?.mistborn is linked to this? Been over ten years since i read that.

1 hour ago, Ne0 said:

I think all of sanderson's works are interlinked, they all happen inside his own fictional setting.  I haven't read his other books, but have read that some characters are interlinked between the books as well.

Yes. Not all of Sanderson's works are related, these are part of the Cosmere. 

You can enjoy Stormlight Archives or Mistborn as standalone, but a good amount of development towards the later books is for the Cosmere as a whole, so you'll be confused.

Especially in Rhythm of war. It still has our badass Kaladin moments, of course.

Without any spoilers, there are certain characters, plotlines and elements which intersect, leading upto the events across the Cosmere.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Reading Order for Brandon Sanderson: 

Mistborn E1 1: The Final Empire

Mistborn E1 2: Well of Ascension

Mistborn E1 3: Hero of Ages

Elantris

Emperor's Soul

Warbreaker

SA 1: Way of Kings

SA 2: Words of Radiance

Edgedancer

Mistborn: Secret History

SA 3: Oathbringer

SA 4: Rhythm of War

Mistborn Era 2 can be read anytime. 

Elantris and Emperor's Soul can also be adjusted.

Important: 1. Warbreaker is MUST read before Oathbringer. Better to read it before Words of Radiance.

2. Mistborn Secret History MUST be read after Mistborn Era 1 and before Rhythm of War

3. Edgedance MUST be read before Oathbringer. 

@Ne0 @Madmage Just read the important section since you guys are currently reading SA. Edgedancer is a short novella, and only related to SA so do read that, or you'll be confused when Lift shows up. 

Edited by Chirag2001
  • Like 1

How I got into fantasy as a wee kid -

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Thought I'd share this since I'm going to take these off my shelves. I'm trying to remove books I do not read anymore.

But these were the perfect introduction to fantasy. I think I have almost the entire set, some of the books are on a diff shelf.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:08 PM, Chirag2001 said:

You can enjoy Stormlight Archives or Mistborn as standalone

Should have read this post before I bought Way of Kings the very same day. 

Around 30 pages in and really enjoying the pacing. Now, that you have laid down the order I am wondering should I start with Mistborn now? 

Hey guys, 

need some help here.. getting into reading space after a long long time and want to start with stormlight archive. I see couple of books in this series hence want to know the best chronology to start with? Any suggestion would be helpful

Thanks

17 hours ago, Django_3101 said:

Should have read this post before I bought Way of Kings the very same day. 

Around 30 pages in and really enjoying the pacing. Now, that you have laid down the order I am wondering should I start with Mistborn now? 

1 hour ago, Paapi said:

Hey guys, 

need some help here.. getting into reading space after a long long time and want to start with stormlight archive. I see couple of books in this series hence want to know the best chronology to start with? Any suggestion would be helpful

Thanks

I started directly with 'The way of kings' and on the 3rd book (Oathbringer) now , don't feel that I missed out on anything yet.  The story seems to be standing out on its own.  Yeah, the other books might enhance the reading experience, so not sure.   I'll start with mistborn sometime after I finish the fourth book, but gonna stick to this flow for now.

• Like 1