The Book Thread

Amay

SELLING BOOKS - 

Hey guys! 

I own a lot of books (like 5 bookshelves) and there are a bunch of books I don't need. Mostly fiction reads, for kids/young adult/adult.

I was wondering if I can create and post a list here in case anybody would be interested to have them for cheap. I don't need them because I don't plan on re-reading, or I bought them but my interest has changed/I have grown up and kid books aren't appealing. There are books all across the board here, Roald Dahl-Agatha Christie-Rick Riordan-god knows what else.

If there is any interest whatsoever, please do let me know.

I don't want to break any IVG rules here, hence I'm just posting here instead of creating a sale thread like I would for games. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

is this the one with elayne bathing for 3 chapters? :P 

oh yeah, and the one where Perrin and some random folk go the market to buy grain and haggle with the shopkeeper for two chapters. 

this one's famous for being bad, but the LAST 4 BOOKS ARE GONNA BE EPIC

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Desolate Era after a month of reading. I recommend it to folks who likes xianxia and similar genres. It's the longest book series I have ever read. More than 2000 chapters spanning 45 books. 

Edited by b!T

New to book reading and wanting to get started somewhere any good recommendations? Fictional, nonfictional both will work.

Also was wondering if starting out with books related to world war and history will be a good starting point or too much to absorb for a beginner? Any recommendation for same will be appreciated.

6 hours ago, gs_RoXxX said:

New to book reading and wanting to get started somewhere any good recommendations? Fictional, nonfictional both will work.

Also was wondering if starting out with books related to world war and history will be a good starting point or too much to absorb for a beginner? Any recommendation for same will be appreciated.

I started with Dan Brown novels, easy to understand English, thrillers - although sometimes drop to the level of Dora the Explorer, keeps you hooked up till the end. Overall, good books to start with. 

The only WW2 related novel I have read is Catch 22, it's a satirical take on the war - very funny. I would highly recommend it once you get into the habit of reading.

• Like 1

Halfway through:

tRjM6hT.jpg

Excellent fast paced memoir of one of the most corrupted Japanese companies of that era, Olympus (yeah, the maker of camera). 

Its own CEO found himself in a soup, and the book highlights the issues with Japanese corporate culture, which values loyalty to senior individuals than company or shareholders. 

Very interesting read. Highly recommended. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gs_RoXxX said:

Fiction you can try Daisy Jones and the Six. Its one of my favourites. 

Non-fiction I'd highly recommend Bad Blood. Birdy highly recommends this one too! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Halfway through:

tRjM6hT.jpg

Excellent fast paced memoir of one of the most corrupted Japanese companies of that era, Olympus (yeah, the maker of camera). 

Its own CEO found himself in a soup, and the book highlights the issues with Japanese corporate culture, which values loyalty to senior individuals than company or shareholders. 

Very interesting read. Highly recommended. 

So just finished this in 2 days flat. Absolute epic read, specially the chapter "Rising Sun also sets". 

We talk a lot about Sony vs Microsoft vs Nintendo on these forums, but almost none of us have any real idea on what happens in those boardrooms,  how those decisions are made, how the country's corporate culture affects it's outcomes. How most Japanese corporates are still exceedingly intertwined with each other, and are not open to foreigners. 

This non fiction is an cracker read into how Japan operates, even now. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. 

28 minutes ago, North said:

Non-fiction I'd highly recommend Bad Blood. Birdy highly recommends this one too! 

One of my all time favorites. A non fiction better than 99% fiction reads out there. 

One of my all time favorites. A non fiction better than 99% fiction reads out there. 
Ordered bad blood and exposure( you recommended above). I think this should be a good starting point for my reading Odyssey.

Sent from my IN2021 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, North said:

Bought a Kindle Oasis. Should make things a lot easier! Hoping to read just as much if not more for the second half of the year :wOOtjumpy:

img%5D

Have you used kindles prior to this, would like to know if it's worth a upgrade if the old one is doing just fine

16 hours ago, Madmage said:

Have you used kindles prior to this, would like to know if it's worth a upgrade if the old one is doing just fine

Yes, I've been using my old kindle for about 10 years now. Anyway it didn't have any backlight or touch, it was super old. 

I find myself reading a lot more ever since the quarantine started, you can see I'm reading through Wheel of Time right now.

So definitely worth the upgrade in my opinon. I'd pick this over the Paperwhite for the page turn buttons, and the warm light option (which is better than most phones honestly)

I think you'd be well served with an upgrade to the Kindle Oasis. Your old one might be fine but once you use the Oasis you'll feel the difference.

• Like 1

Finished Book 11, and started Book 12.

Currently reading Egwene's arc in The Gathering Storm.

Hands down already looking like the best book in the series, and my personal BEST READ for 2021! :wOOtjumpy:

Also: Loving the Kindle Oasis, much thanks for the encouragement @roun90

Edited by North

3 hours ago, North said:

Finished Book 11, and started Book 12.

Currently reading Egwene's arc in The Gathering Storm.

Hands down already looking like the best book in the series, and my personal BEST READ for 2021! :wOOtjumpy:

Also: Loving the Kindle Oasis, much thanks for the encouragement @roun90

I said this before - but please read A New Spring before you go any further. Even the kindle edition is fine. It really will lose it's impact if you delay it till the end of the series.

Anyway of the 3 Sanderson books, I would say Book 12 is the weakest. Book(s) 13 and 14 are going to blow you away. The entire Black Tower/Loghain's Arc, Mat's Arc and Final Arc is just :Chef's kiss:

Anyway hope you enjoy the series and the kindle!!

14 hours ago, roun90 said:

I said this before - but please read A New Spring before you go any further. Even the kindle edition is fine. It really will lose it's impact if you delay it till the end of the series.

Anyway of the 3 Sanderson books, I would say Book 12 is the weakest. Book(s) 13 and 14 are going to blow you away. The entire Black Tower/Loghain's Arc, Mat's Arc and Final Arc is just :Chef's kiss:

Anyway hope you enjoy the series and the kindle!!

Bro I've already read New Spring, it was a fun break from the series in a way B)

I'm really enjoying 12 at the moment. Easily my favourite so far, but nothing like it if Book 13 and 14 can top this.

I've never been much of an Egwene fan, but for once I'm rooting so hard for Egwene, this arc is fantastic.

14 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Interesting. I found 13 to be the weakest of the 3. I loved The Gathering Storm. 

That is what I have also heard on the internet. Still, I've heard 13 is fantastic anyway! We'll see :dance:

Predictions -

Spoiler

I think Rand is going to climb the Dragonmount in this book. For book 13, The Tower(s) of Midnight part has to refer to The Black Tower, and Tower of Ghenji I'm guessing. So the Moiraine rescue arc is in Book 13 I'm guessing!