The Book Thread

Amay

2 hours ago, WhatsInTheName said:

books.jpg

grabbed these for cheap on Amazon. Started the Witcher. Translation is horrible. But, decided to push through it.

Insane how cheap the entire collection of Witcher is!

Also I had heard the translation is pretty solid! maybe I heard wrong, or maybe its from the first novel Blood of Elves....

Happy reading! :wOOtjumpy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhatsInTheName said:

books.jpg

grabbed these for cheap on Amazon. Started the Witcher. Translation is horrible. But, decided to push through it.

1 minute ago, North said:

Insane how cheap the entire collection of Witcher is!

Also I had heard the translation is pretty solid! maybe I heard wrong, or maybe its from the first novel Blood of Elves....

Happy reading! :wOOtjumpy:

In the first book which is a collection of short stories, translation is not that good but on the rest which are full novels, it's solid.

4 minutes ago, him2anshu said:

In the first book which is a collection of short stories, translation is not that good but on the rest which are full novels, it's solid.

Ahh yes thats what I thought. I know you are talking about The Last Wish, but there is another collection of short stories as well, The Sword of Destiny. Since that came later, the translation from Polish is probably solid.

Haven't read Witcher yet, but its on my radar for sure ^_^

23 minutes ago, North said:

Ahh yes thats what I thought. I know you are talking about The Last Wish, but there is another collection of short stories as well, The Sword of Destiny. Since that came later, the translation from Polish is probably solid.

Haven't read Witcher yet, but its on my radar for sure ^_^

Yes, the Last Wish. Season of Storms translation is fine but the book itself is not that good. All the other books are great though. 

Edited by him2anshu
Sword of Destiny is great
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, him2anshu said:

ok, I see two different translators for these. So, I guess the first one went to the worse one. 

28 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

ok, I see two different translators for these. So, I guess the first one went to the worse one. 

I think there are different translators period (doing books simultaneously I guess). The version I have seems translated decently enough. It had a photo from Witcher 2 in it's cover. Can't access my copy now, but from Google, this was my version (Same image)

5u0e133uoak11.jpg

54 minutes ago, roun90 said:

I think there are different translators period (doing books simultaneously I guess). The version I have seems translated decently enough. It had a photo from Witcher 2 in it's cover. Can't access my copy now, but from Google, this was my version (Same image)

5u0e133uoak11.jpg

Makes sense. This is from the Amazon description:

The Last Wish, Blood of Elves translated by Danusia Stok.
Sword of Destiny, Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of the Swallow, The Lady of the Lake, Season of Storms translated by David French.

So, I am reading The Last Wish right now and Danusia is not good at this translation business. You guys are saying David has done a better job?

20 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

Makes sense. This is from the Amazon description:

The Last Wish, Blood of Elves translated by Danusia Stok.
Sword of Destiny, Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of the Swallow, The Lady of the Lake, Season of Storms translated by David French.

So, I am reading The Last Wish right now and Danusia is not good at this translation business. You guys are saying David has done a better job?

Yes, that is correct.

• Like 1

9CdKPJe.jpg

Halfway through. Interesting read, and throws light on many aspects of UI/design, which we take for granted today, were in a way thought of in the BB era. 

Gets a bit boring when talking about the founders younger life, but overall, pretty solid. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gs_RoXxX said:

Finished this in 1 day only.
3rd book since I started reading last week.

Would love to have recommendedations for books in similar lines?9a277d41c370a9083d535018d4472c3e.jpg

Sent from my IN2021 using Tapatalk

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/456022.Theory_and_practice_of_hell

Originally written in 1945, this extraordinary book is an intimate account of Eugen Kogon, prisoner at Buchenwald and assistant to the infamous Nazi human medical experiments.

An absolutely horrific, but mandatory read for anyone remotely interested in German history/Nazis/Holocaust. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finished Wheel of Time yesterday! Absolutely fantastic, would recommend to anybody who likes the fantasy genre with a little bit of time to read it.

I'm gonna miss all the characters, but not for too long cuz the show comes out this November! 

Sanderson did an excellent job finishing Robert Jordan's magnum opus, no complaints whatsoever.

Now Reading the new Stephen King book - 

img%5D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

August Reading Wrap Up -

1. Finished reading the 15-book series Wheel of Time. It was beautiful, and I'm glad I get to dive back into this with the show coming out this November.

Trailer drops tonight! 9.5/10 for A Memory of Light.

img%5D

2. Read Stephen King's new release Billy Summers. Perhaps not his best work, and some story elements felt a bit off but the character work and the relationship building with the main character Billy is phenomenal. Would highly recommend if you're looking for a slower Thriller book. 8.5/10

img%5D

3. Read Project Hail Mary by Martian-author Andy Weir, and he has done it again. I can already picture Ryan Gosling or Jake Gyllenhall playing Ryland Grace. The book is a banger, what an awesome space story. I did it pretty much entirely on Audible. The narrator Ray Porter is phenomenal, and well worth the price/membership. 10/10

img%5D

4. Finished re-reading Jade City. I haven't read this strong a first in a series for a long time, and its just as awesome on rerad. If you're a fan of The Godfather or Peaky Blinders or Yakuza games, I'd highly recommend. Will be re-reading Jade War (book 2) this month in preparation for Book 3 coming out later this year. Another 10/10.

img%5D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

o9T0cZf.jpeg

Reading "Losing the Signal". It's about the rise and fall of Blackberry. This one page describes the first time such a mobile device was effectively made, with context sensitive menus, and even the way we type now on our screen (long hold to capitalise, double space to period etc). The legacy of BB is simply outstanding ! :majesty:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Read Malice by John Gwynne. A flashback to traditional fantasy books, typical blacksmith-turns-swordsman type stuff, but still engaging and fun.

Looking forward to reading more, but now reading DUNE! One last trek through Arrakis before the movie :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So, finally I got around to completing the fourth book in the Stormlight archives - Rhythm of war.  I think it took me as long as the first 3 books combined, partly because the first 3 acts were kinda boring for me and also I was a little more busy at work in the past few months.

The book is good in parts, the last 2 acts are quite good, but I felt it has a lot of filler conten, also, the whole flashback sequence wasn't as interesting this time around. IMO, it's better than book 3 but not as good as book 1&2. 

The best part was the epilogue, I don't want to spoil it by saying anything, but it's really something and takes the reader by surprise, atleast I was really shocked/surprised , I actually read thru it twice to ensure I didn't understand it wrong !!

Can't wait for the next book to conclude the first arc.  Would be really interesting to see at what point they wrap up the first arc sand the current storylines !!

Edited by Ne0