The Book Thread

Amay

5 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

I started with mistborn series, the first book was totally awesome, excellent page turner.  Started with book 2, i felt it's quite a slow in the beginning, hoping it picks up pace soon.

The Final Empire is  great. One of my favourite books, and Kelsier is a fantastic charcter.

Book 2 is slightly slower, but the ending is an absolute avalanche. 

Book 3 reads insanely fast. Extremely fast paced, lots of action, I blew through Hero of Ages in 1 day.  

On 1/6/2022 at 12:46 PM, North said:

I read Godblind, but didn't feel like reading the next two in the series. Its okay - nothing great and I don't want to spend precious time reading mediocre stuff.

@Madmage

Anyhoo, with the New Year and everything - have hopped onto Malazan Book of the Fallen. Its on my radar for years now, and its finally time to do it.

A couple chapters deep in Gardens of the Moon.

Thanks for the headup man..will try malazan

Final Empire is indeed over of the best fantasy books I've read so far. Kelsier is one of the best written characters in a novel, the twist where [hide] ruler kills him with just one simple slap to the face [/hide] was so damn shocking.  I wasn't expecting vin to defeat [hide] ruler [/hide] at the end.  I thought that was gonna happen only in the sequels.  That was quite a neat surprise as well.

Edited by Ne0

1 hour ago, Ne0 said:

Final Empire is indeed over of the best fantasy books I've read so far. Kelsier is one of the best written characters in a novel, the twist where [spoiler] ruler kills him with just one simple slap to the face [/spoiler] was so damn shocking.  I wasn't expecting vin to defeat [spoiler] ruler [/spoiler] at the end.  I thought that was gonna happen only in the sequels.  That was quite a neat surprise as well.

Your spoiler tags are not working.

@MadmageYup. You said you liked Glen Cook's Black Company, I have a feeling you'll like Malazan Book of the Fallen.

@Ne0spoiler tags not working, and those are some massive spoilers lmao. But yes, the book is fantastic. 

and trust me, there are so many more twists and turns to come in this story.

2 hours ago, b!T said:

Finished Project Hail Mary. From the author of Martian. Hilarious and a proper page turner. 

please tell me you did the audible narration? its phenomenal, truly elevates an already outstanding book.

PS. If you're looking for any recommendations :naughty:

19 hours ago, North said:

please tell me you did the audible narration? its phenomenal, truly elevates an already outstanding book.

PS. If you're looking for any recommendations :naughty:

Na, I didn't. But now I think I shd have .

• 2 weeks later...

sUe2BWN.jpeg

When real life is better than fiction. 

If you feel you know media manipulation, think again, and read this book. From Vox to NYT or Huff Post to The Times, it's a huge expose and study on how almost every news article is immensely manipulated by one person or other. 

6 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

sUe2BWN.jpeg

When real life is better than fiction. 

If you feel you know media manipulation, think again, and read this book. From Vox to NYT or Huff Post to The Times, it's a huge expose and study on how almost every news article is immensely manipulated by one person or other. 

I'm familiar with the author, Ryan Holiday - he's quite famous and he mostly talks about stoicism and other topics but this looks interesting.

He's been doing some great things with his youtube channel too, its mostly about encouraging people to pick up a book and read - and I def support that.

Might pick this up sometime this year B)

On 1/30/2022 at 7:08 PM, North said:

I'm familiar with the author, Ryan Holiday - he's quite famous and he mostly talks about stoicism and other topics but this looks interesting.

He's been doing some great things with his youtube channel too, its mostly about encouraging people to pick up a book and read - and I def support that.

Might pick this up sometime this year B)

vFCzvRa.jpeg

4DqB1aS.jpeg

Nuts. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/27/2022 at 11:16 AM, DinJo said:

Is snapdeal good place to buy books some books are very cheap there? 

@North

Never bought from Snapdeal.

I buy mostly from Amazon - kindle/paperback + Bookswagon when buying new releases as they're usually cheaper. 

On 5/1/2022 at 4:27 PM, DinJo said:

Thanks any suggestions for self help books for class 10 student the language needs to be very simple 

Hmmm. Your child?  Anyway exposing a kid to self help books that early? Might turn him off from reading entirely. 

I'd rather recommend getting this kid in question into the habit of reading, the genres and learning can come later.

Once you enjoy fiction, you can diversify interests later. Business and personal finance and personality books can be quite a bore, especially for a 10th grader.

I'm a teen myself, so I'd say I'm more clued in that an average book salesman who'd just recommend you some bestsellers.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 4:27 PM, DinJo said:

Thanks any suggestions for self help books for class 10 student the language needs to be very simple 

Try atomic habits idk it would be good for 10th class student but it has easy language.