The Book Thread

Amay

On 5/3/2022 at 4:15 PM, Beamer2123 said:

Try atomic habits idk it would be good for 10th class student but it has easy language.

It would be too complex wont recommend for someone who is not working. 

• 4 weeks later...

Unconditional parenting is very very good parenting book listened to audible first 2 chapters. Highly recommended I bought it since my child also seems relative of satan and wanted to see what changes can be brought in. Though most things would be applicable if your child is above 3 years. 

You can also check how to talk to little kids so that they listen. 

Why nobody has told me before is more psychology book but covers some of important points in lowdown, anger and every other human emotion. 

Bought both from bookswagon though there delievery time could be painful but they get you books which are hard to find and packaging is just superb. 

• Thanks 1

Have been commuting from Noida to Gurgaon via shuttle everyday for my internship, so I got a month of scribd to listen to audiobooks during 3-4 hours of commute time.

Fantastic so far!

2 hours ago, North said:

Have been commuting from Noida to Gurgaon via shuttle everyday for my internship, so I got a month of scribd to listen to audiobooks during 3-4 hours of commute time.

Fantastic so far!

Noida to Gurgaon and back ? Sigh. Hellish time waste. 

On 6/6/2022 at 1:13 AM, Bird Bird Bird said:

Noida to Gurgaon and back ? Sigh. Hellish time waste. 

Oh absolutely. But audible and scribd make the time fly, I'm very happy getting through more books.

Its only for 2 months, I'm interning here so I decided just to do it. Will def try and get placed/permanent job in Noida, plenty of offices along the expressway.

Don't want more Gurgaon after this man.

Highly recommend Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell - his version of the arthurian tale. The audiobooks by Jonathan Keeble are fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any recommendations for Mystery/Thrillers? I am on Audible.

Recently finished  "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" and "The Devil and The Dark Water" from Stuart Turton, both were spectacular, especially The 7 deaths... blew my mind.

6 hours ago, iamX said:

Any recommendations for Mystery/Thrillers? I am on Audible.

Recently finished  "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" and "The Devil and The Dark Water" from Stuart Turton, both were spectacular, especially The 7 deaths... blew my mind.

oh yeah Ive heard those are really good!

I've heard good things about The Secret History, by Donna Tartt. and if you want to pick up an episode series of mysteries - the Arliss Cutter mystery books by Marc Cameron are really good.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, North said:

I've heard good things about The Secret History, by Donna Tartt. and if you want to pick up an episode series of mysteries - the Arliss Cutter mystery books by Marc Cameron are really good.

Thank you. The Secret History looks like it's right up my alley and has promising reviews too. Will start with this one. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2022 at 12:30 AM, GunnerY2J said:

Suggest me some books, haven't read any apart from a couple of football biographies.

So a little basic and Interested in motivational stuff - finding happiness and all or mental health or being free kinda stuff.

I liked Dale Carnegie's books. You can find a lot of inspirational stories of resiliant individuals in the book. It was a game changer for me.

Also, you should read 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R Covey.

I also recommend Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.

Edited by Legacy Gamer
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Legacy Gamer said:

I liked Dale Carnegie's books. You can find a lot of inspirational stories of resiliant individuals in the book. It was a game changer for me.

Also, you should read 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R Covey.

I also recommend Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.

+1 for 7 habits.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 11:39 PM, North said:

Hey bro, thanks again for "The Secret History", finished it few days ago and loved it! The narration and setting are excellent. The nervousness of a newcomer, the yearning to belong, you can really feel it! And some parts especially, really do take you there. The sleepovers, the stay in Italy, the plans they discuss to hide the truth, very very well done.

It did feel a little too long at the end but that's probably just me as it didn't have the 'whodunnit' element, still a great read (listen) nonetheless.

It's such a shame, the ill-fated attempts of its screen adaptation, it would have been such a treat but may be it's better this way.

For other fellow readers/listeners who are into sci-fi short stories, I recently finished "Inappropriately Human: 21 Short Stories" by Andrew Heaton, highly recommend it. It instantly reminded me of Black Mirror, except it's not really Dark and gloomy, just the opposite.

Edited by iamX
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 8:30 AM, iamX said:

Hey bro, thanks again for "The Secret History", finished it few days ago and loved it! The narration and setting are excellent. The nervousness of a newcomer, the yearning to belong, you can really feel it! And some parts especially, really do take you there. The sleepovers, the stay in Italy, the plans they discuss to hide the truth, very very well done.

It did feel a little too long at the end but that's probably just me as it didn't have the 'whodunnit' element, still a great read (listen) nonetheless.

It's such a shame, the ill-fated attempts of its screen adaptation, it would have been such a treat but may be it's better this way.

For other fellow readers/listeners who are into sci-fi short stories, I recently finished "Inappropriately Human: 21 Short Stories" by Andrew Heaton, highly recommend it. It instantly reminded me of Black Mirror, except it's not really Dark and gloomy, just the opposite.

Very nice! I'll get it on audible when I get a credit next then. Glad my recommendation brought you some entertainment. 

As far as a bit of a scifi mind bender - can HIGHLY recommend Eversion. By Alastair Reynolds. Released recently too. 

The narration was also quite good. But I do NOT recommend checking out the description - best to go in blind. Its not very long either - easily read. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...