The Book Thread

Amay

Need suggestion for some good fantasy series. Here is what I have read so far:

Wheel of Time, Shannara series, Magic Kingdom of Landover, All David Gemmell books, Malazan series, All Raymoond E.Feist books, Farseer, Tawny Man and Magic ship trilogies,

Mainly looking for sword and sorcery, like Conan the Barbarian. Hour of the Dragon is still one of the best I have read.

Wheel of Time, Shannara series, Magic Kingdom of Landover, All David Gemmell books, Malazan series, All Raymoond E.Feist books, Farseer, Tawny Man and Magic ship trilogies,

Mainly looking for sword and sorcery, like Conan the Barbarian. Hour of the Dragon is still one of the best I have read.

If you are interested in the genre first read Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales by JRR Tolkien. They are the best in the genre and one of the best stories overall (my opinion of course). Then there are books by Brandon Sanderson. Elantris, and the Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance) are the ones of him which I read and all three are very good. I have heard Mistborn trilogy by him is also good, but have not read it yet. Then there is Patrick Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear). They are also quite good.

Then, there are books by David Eddings, more specifically The Belgariad and The Malloreon Trilogies (Garion's story) and The Elenium and The Tamuli trilogies (Sparhawk's Story). Both are quite good and are easy and fun to read as well. Then there are books by Terry Goodkind. His earlier books starting from Wizard's First Rule is excellent, but his last books are not that great and he ends the series with a Deus Ex Machina and tries to force his beliefs onto readers very hard in the last book (Confessor) which I did not like. But the earlier works are excellent.

Hope these suggestions help :D .

Edited by roun90

Read Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. If you like Fantasy - you should read this. There are more than 20 books but they are split into different sub-stories - so you can pick a story and finish the books in that story.

I did not mention Tolkien because every fantasy fan has to have read it :D

The first book by Goodkind was good, I hated the second and the third and have not gone back to his series.

Finished Eddings long time ago, forgot about him probably because it has been a long time

I will try Sanderson out. If I remember correctly, he is the one who finished the WoT series and I did like his writing style.

Terry Pratchet is someone that a lot of people have recommended to me in the past few days, so I will have to get one of his books. Which one should I pick up first?

Thanks for the Axe and throne tip. I'll see if it is available on Kindle store.

• 3 weeks later...

Read Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. If you like Fantasy - you should read this. There are more than 20 books but they are split into different sub-stories - so you can pick a story and finish the books in that story.

Hell yes. He is the king. I repeat read them probably once a year - so good.

I did not mention Tolkien because every fantasy fan has to have read it :D

The first book by Goodkind was good, I hated the second and the third and have not gone back to his series.

Finished Eddings long time ago, forgot about him probably because it has been a long time

I will try Sanderson out. If I remember correctly, he is the one who finished the WoT series and I did like his writing style.

Terry Pratchet is someone that a lot of people have recommended to me in the past few days, so I will have to get one of his books. Which one should I pick up first?

Thanks for the Axe and throne tip. I'll see if it is available on Kindle store.

Mistborn trilogy is pretty good.

Terry Pratchett - start from the first Discworld novel and read them in sequence of publication. They are brilliant. That's the Colour of Magic, followed by Light Fantastic. I personally think he hits stride with Men at Arms.

Edited by Bulovski

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...