Amay

The Book Thread

25 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

I haven't read Wheel of Time either. Only the first book. I'm gonna read the whole series later this year, will start again from Book 1.

If you haven't read Brandon Sanderson for some reason, easy recommendation. Mistborn, Stormlight Archive, Warbreaker. All are fantastic, a little long perhaps but its fantasy at the highest level.

Other than Sanderson's works,  will recommend-

• The Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemisin. Won lots of awards, very well respected.
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Just such a merry band of misfits. This one does the flashbacks-current events timeline switching though, in case you're not a fan of that. The trilogy is called the Gentlemen Bastards Sequence.
  • The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. The best bromance I've ever read, and its such a jolly good time. Pure entertainment. Also a trilogy.
  • The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The best in Grim Dark. Also a trilogy, but there are more books connected to the plot.
  • The Falling Kingdoms Saga by Morgan Rhodes. If you like Game of Thrones, ask no more. Betrayals, murders, politics, plot twists and incest.  6 books. but short.
  • Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennet. Currently ongoing, Shorefall the sequel just came out.
  • The Prince of Fools Trilogy/Red Sister Trilogy by Mark Lawrence, but I haven't read this myself.

If you like traditional fantasy, I'd pick number 3, Riyria Revelations. Sadly Amazon does not have the paperbacks.

And my personal favourite, The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Only book I'll rate better than Sanderson. Only 2 books out right now, but a third should be out soon, ending the trilogy (we've been waiting 7 years for this though)

Did not mention the obvious- Lord of the Rings, and A Song of Ice and Fire (will read once GRR gives me the next book)

Thanks a lot dude, should last me for long time. I think I had read one of the books in the mistborn Saga.  Let me start with the kk chronicles, I would be reading on my Kindle, so if the Kindle edition is available, good enough for me.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:00 PM, Ne0 said:

Thanks a lot dude, should last me for long time. I think I had read one of the books in the mistborn Saga.  Let me start with the kk chronicles, I would be reading on my Kindle, so if the Kindle edition is available, good enough for me.

Yes, of course its on kindle. Its one of the most popular books in this genre.

Did you get it and get reading, or did you decide on something else? 

Also, if you're ever inclined, Mistborn deserves another go. It easily one of the best complete trilogies out there. 

Edited by Chirag2001

I don't read much Sci fi, but recently read Skyward and Starsight by Brandon Sanderson.
He's my favourite fantasy author, and this was his sci fi debut. Fantastic character work. 

Thanks dude, will check it out.
  • Like 1

You are really making good use of being at home :thumbsup: , I hardly get time to read a book, even for 10-15 mins.  Any idea on how to put aside some time for reading on a regular basis ?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

You are really making good use of being at home :thumbsup: , I hardly get time to read a book, even for 10-15 mins.  Any idea on how to put aside some time for reading on a regular basis ?

It's honestly about prioritisation. You can't do something new without sacrificing something else. Be it gaming, working or just lazing around. I used to use the excuse of having a hectic job for not exercising but when I decided to do it for real, there was suddenly time available for it. Of course it meant I had to sleep earlier and was late to work sometimes. 

So yeah, you don't really have to put aside time. You only have to decide to start reading. If you enjoy it, you'll make time automatically. 

15 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Honestly, just start. I feel that if you can get hands on a book that is just fantastic and you just wanna keep going and find out, you'll make time on your own. 

Get an engrossing book that will make you wanna read. Probably fiction at first.

I have a similar routine, I read before bed, been reading since 16 years now and nowadays I listen to audiobooks/podcasts if I go for a walk.

20 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

I thought this franchise was over

Its back and I'm damn excited lol 

I just find Edward wayy more interesting than Bella. Plus I wanna read his family dynamic.

Its just the first book, same story but from Edward's perspective.

22 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Well if you want to read fiction or fantasy you could join a book club over on discord. I do that sometimes if there's a particular book I wanna read with other people. Could help reduce friction a lot.

I can provide links if anyone's interested, its a pretty nice community and quite a few books being read. I warn you though, plenty of general chatter in there as well lol

I don't count books, but I think I've read 30 books or so since quarantine started so going good so far, thanks a lot! :) 

1 minute ago, Chirag2001 said:

Well if you want to read fiction or fantasy you could join a book club over on discord. I do that sometimes if there's a particular book I wanna read with other people. Could help reduce friction a lot.

I can provide links if anyone's interested, its a pretty nice community and quite a few books being read. I warn you though, plenty of general chatter in there as well lol

I don't count books, but I think I've read 30 books or so since quarantine started so going good so far, thanks a lot! :) 

Awesome 👍

17 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Something like this. Got into the Falling Kingdoms Saga and I was engrossed. Need to know what happens next. 

Couldn't stop reading, look at the purchase dates lol.

e88715f496c43bb015c7b8c3f2409e40.jpg

Finished the fallen kingdom saga. Thanks for the recco man..was really good but a bit of young adult types... Really itching for a good fantasy series. Any suggestions..leave the obvious aside..

On 6/20/2020 at 8:31 PM, Chirag2001 said:

I haven't read Wheel of Time either. Only the first book. I'm gonna read the whole series later this year, will start again from Book 1.

If you haven't read Brandon Sanderson for some reason, easy recommendation. Mistborn, Stormlight Archive, Warbreaker. All are fantastic, a little long perhaps but its fantasy at the highest level.

Other than Sanderson's works,  will recommend-

• The Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemisin. Won lots of awards, very well respected.
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Just such a merry band of misfits. This one does the flashbacks-current events timeline switching though, in case you're not a fan of that. The trilogy is called the Gentlemen Bastards Sequence.
  • The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. The best bromance I've ever read, and its such a jolly good time. Pure entertainment. Also a trilogy.
  • The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The best in Grim Dark. Also a trilogy, but there are more books connected to the plot.
  • The Falling Kingdoms Saga by Morgan Rhodes. If you like Game of Thrones, ask no more. Betrayals, murders, politics, plot twists and incest.  6 books. but short.
  • Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennet. Currently ongoing, Shorefall the sequel just came out.
  • The Prince of Fools Trilogy/Red Sister Trilogy by Mark Lawrence, but I haven't read this myself.

If you like traditional fantasy, I'd pick number 3, Riyria Revelations. Sadly Amazon does not have the paperbacks.

And my personal favourite, The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Only book I'll rate better than Sanderson. Only 2 books out right now, but a third should be out soon, ending the trilogy (we've been waiting 7 years for this though)

Did not mention the obvious- Lord of the Rings, and A Song of Ice and Fire (will read once GRR gives me the next book)

@Madmage Yeah FK is Young Adult. Some people call it Game of Thrones for teens lol.

Anyway I listed some of my recs above ^^

Do tell what you pick up and read next :)