The Book Thread

Amay

Read The Great Hunt and The Dragon Reborn, i.e. Book 2 and Book 3 of Wheel of Time this month.

Will be starting Book 4 tonight itself as the it keeps getting better with every book, and I've heard a lot of good things about Book 4. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finished The Shadow Rising and The Fires of Heaven, Book 4 and 5 of Wheel of Time. Might be able to speed through Lord of Chaos this month too, lets see.

Book 4 was the best one so far, for sure, Book 5 was also pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

Finished The Shadow Rising and The Fires of Heaven, Book 4 and 5 of Wheel of Time. Might be able to speed through Lord of Chaos this month too, lets see.

Book 4 was the best one so far, for sure, Book 5 was also pretty good. 

Book 4 was definitely my favourite :majesty:

Spoiler

That moment you realize Aiel and Tuathan comes from the same ancestors   :panic:

1 hour ago, dylanjosh said:

Book 4 was definitely my favourite :majesty:

Reveal hidden contents

That moment you realize Aiel and Tuathan comes from the same ancestors   :panic:

oh yeah that was epic, just changed everything. 

also wait, Book 4 is your favourite among the ones I've read, or overall favourite Wheel of Time Book?

Spoiler

I've heard favourites to be Book 4, 11, 12 and 14.

2 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Can anyone suggest books like All the light you cannot see? 

Something with heavy content which puts the things into perspective like above does for Nazi Germany etc.

Yes, try Ruta Sepetys. She has quite a few books, and one recent release also. 

I have friends who enjoy those books, who also enjoyed All The Light You Cannot See. 

I have a feeling this is what you're looking for :) 

Edited by Chirag2001

40 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

My 2 WoT favourite books are Shadow Rising and Gathering Storm!

Yes, some other friends who I have similar tastes with also have The Gathering Storm as their favourite.

Hyped for when I get there 

5 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yes, try Ruta Sepetys. She has quite a few books, and one recent release also. 

I have friends who enjoy those books, who also enjoyed All The Light You Cannot See. 

I have a feeling this is what you're looking for :) 

Awesome.

Between shades of grey looks like a great read but can't find physical version right now. Maybe after the curfew lifts.

If you come across any more such suggestions then let me know!

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished Book 6, Lord of Chaos! Favourite book in the series so far for sure. 

I haven't been a fan of the endings Jordan writes, but WHAT AN ENDING to this one. Just epic.

Will start Book 7, Crown of Swords tonight. I've heard the series gets a little slow here for the next few books. 

7 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Finished Book 6, Lord of Chaos! Favourite book in the series so far for sure. 

I haven't been a fan of the endings Jordan writes, but WHAT AN ENDING to this one. Just epic.

Will start Book 7, Crown of Swords tonight. I've heard the series gets a little slow here for the next few books. 

Yeah Dumais Wells was insane. 

4 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Yeah Dumais Wells was insane. 

Yep. I'll remember that name for years.

Minor spoiler--

Spoiler

I've heard that Perrin from this point onwards is pretty much obsessed with Faile. I mean, he was missing from Book 5 and almost entire Book 6. Idk what Jordan has in store for him. Although Min viewed a hammer and iron above Elayne's head, and Perrin was supposed to meet a hawk as well as a falcon. I think Perrin and Elayne have something in the future books. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did finish Book 7 of Wheel of Time. Bloody fantastic. 

People who call it slow, or says its a slog; YOU'RE WRONG.

Onto the next one!

Also does anybody wanna hear detailed spoiler-filled thoughts/theories/predictions? I'll share 'em then!

33 minutes ago, North said:

Onto the next one!

Also does anybody wanna hear detailed spoiler-filled thoughts/theories/predictions? I'll share 'em then!

Go ahead. It'll be fun. Though keep in mind that the series is finished and some here have read the entire series. That said, I personally read it a long time ago, so it will definitely be a fun refresher for me. I don't remember a lot of it.

Edited by roun90

30 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Has anyone read Black Swan and Anti Fragile?

A bit interested in getting these books but the reviews vary a lot. Just don't want it to be too far out and hearing to a magpie.

Great books. They are unmissable if you are interested in quantitative finance, human psychology and heuristics, probability and statistics in general. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatsInTheName said:

Great books. They are unmissable if you are interested in quantitative finance, human psychology and heuristics, probability and statistics in general. 

Those are my interests but professional interests. I am looking for a good read across any genre but these do look all rounders. Will order. Thanks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Those are my interests but professional interests. I am looking for a good read across any genre but these do look all rounders. Will order. Thanks.

oh yeah, they're perfect for leisure reading. 

44 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

oh yeah, they're perfect for leisure reading. 

Which one to read first?

Black swan came first and Antifragile does reference it but many people recommend to read it the other way around.

3 hours ago, North said:

Onto the next one!

I'm more interested in what you think of the story, lore, world building and charcters so far. 

Edited by dylanjosh