Sony Acquires Bungie Studios

13 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

It's FUD as usual. There's no set template for what a GaaS title is. The next sony Gaas title is releasing next month and people might not even know what it is. Even games like AC and dreams can be considered as a GaaS title. 

that is true.. no one knows what GaaS actually is… Sony wasn’t doing it so it was fashionable to sh*t on it… now that Sony is doing it sooo it’s not shitty anymore :rofl:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

It's FUD as usual. There's no set template for what a GaaS title is. The next sony Gaas title is releasing next month and people might not even know what it is. Even games like AC and dreams can be considered as a GaaS title. 

Right now I think the only tried and tested template is Destiny. So many other's tried to crack that formula and failed. Bungie, in spite of getting a lot of flak from the community manages to retain players and engage them with newer expansions.

24 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

This GaaS route isn't something to be worried about. As long as they keep giving us their top notch first party titles I'll be happy, they can try their hand at GaaS or turning their IPs into movies/shows or even enter the EV industry for all I care.

Only ones bothered should be competitors already trying to enter the games as a service business, which explains the khujli some bots are feeling here :P

My biggest concern as a gamer with GaaS titles is if you lag behind, it gets difficult to get back on track. I stopped playing after Forsaken, all my mates are geared up and ready for Witch Queen, for me to reach their level is too much of a grind even if I get carried as opposed to their progress in the game which was organic with the content releases. They release "pay2win" type items to level you up, but you still need to grind for gear etc. Becomes drag for who are not as regular.

GaaS is lucrative for publishers as the cycle time reduces, but as long as it doesn't impact quality of the content, average gamer won't have any complaints. Issues stemming from gamers getting shafted by attempts at 'Destiny killers' which were underwhelming. for ex - imagine someone who pre-ordered Anthem and the game being abandoned soon after.

1 minute ago, psinide said:

My biggest concern as a gamer with GaaS titles is if you lag behind, it gets difficult to get back on track. I stopped playing after Forsaken, all my mates are geared up and ready for Witch Queen, for me to reach their level is too much of a grind even if I get carried as opposed to their progress in the game which was organic with the content releases. They release "pay2win" type items to level you up, but you still need to grind for gear etc. Becomes drag for who are not as regular.

I agree, had the same problem with Warframe, wanted to get into it but looking at how far they've come and how much grind would be needed to just come close to regulars, I abandoned all hope.

1 minute ago, psinide said:

Right now I think the only tried and tested template is Destiny. So many other's tried to crack that formula and failed. Bungie, in spite of getting a lot of flak from the community manages to retain players and engage them with newer expansions.

GaaS is lucrative for publishers as the cycle time reduces, but as long as it doesn't impact quality of the content, average gamer won't have any complaints. Issues stemming from gamers getting shafted by attempts at 'Destiny killers' which were underwhelming. for ex - imagine someone who pre-ordered Anthem and the game being abandoned soon after.

Why just destiny? There are loads of other successful GaaS titles out there. Gt sport, genshin, warframe, AC, apex, the crew, gt5, rdr online, division are/were all very successful live service game. Heck even sf5 or FF 14 can be classified as one. There no hard and fast rule that it needs to be a fps or shooter to be a GaaS title. 

Agree with the other point, if you miss the bus early on or stop playing midway then there's no motivation to join back. 

35 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

Always thought of it as any game that has a long term plan for expansions and dlcs, irrespective of the game being paid or F2P, like Apex, GT7, warframe, warzone, fortnite, smite, etc..

P.S. Apex claps every other shooter in this lot, F2P and you can get in anytime without having to worry about people having better equipment or weapons or levels, just the skill improvement and legends who all have their Achilles heel, maybe that's why it still gets over 200k players on Steam alone at the end of a season after 3 years of existence.

Edited by gecko89

10 minutes ago, psinide said:

Yep, that's my issue with Destiny and the titles like it. I stopped playing after the initial months and the grind required to get to the level my friends were at was just not possible for me. Was never able to go back.

9 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

Why just destiny? There are loads of other successful GaaS titles out there. Gt sport, genshin, warframe, AC, apex, the crew, gt5, rdr online, division are/were all very successful live service game. 

I guess technically any F2P/battle/season pass game is GaaS you are right

6 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

Yep, that's my issue with Destiny and the titles like it. I stopped playing after the initial months and the grind required to get to the level my friends were at was just not possible for me. Was never able to go back.

And thats why HALO FTW!!!!! 

12 minutes ago, TRMNTR said:

That is the thing with GAAS titles like Destiny. If they f up a season, they learn and fix it the subsequent seasons. This listening to community "most" of the times is what makes a successful GAAS title.     

Take constant user feedback, fine tune the experience , keep adding new stuff.    Ofcourse no 1 title will cater to "everyone" but if it is fun for majority, then it has the formula to become successful.

Also you don't need to level up beyond control in Destiny for majority of the content. Just for Grand Master level stuff I believe.    As long as your "level" is making you eligible to have fun in all the activities the game has to offer, I dont see a point in getting to "friends' level as a negative. That would just be for bragging.

33 minutes ago, hsk_colossus said:

Ya.. doubt they were making that kind of money at the time being acquired..they only had titanfall and that failed miserably 

That is the most basic mistake a so call "analyst" can make. Such a click bait.

Ofcourse No body is saying Sony got it for cheap but to come up with such wierd stats is just click bait. 

3 minutes ago, Pacifier said:

Also you don't need to level up beyond control in Destiny for majority of the content. Just for Grand Master level stuff I believe.    As long as your "level" is making you eligible to have fun in all the activities the game has to offer, I dont see a point in getting to "friends' level as a negative. That would just be for bragging.

It was an issue when the game came out. Don't know how the game has changed since. Couldn't play most strikes and raids with (high-level) friends as I would get absolutely destroyed.

1 minute ago, Pacifier said:

That is the most basic mistake a so call "analyst" can make. Such a click bait.

Ofcourse No body is saying Sony got it for cheap but to come up with such wierd stats is just click bait. 

That’s how you get the clicks and get fanboys to spread FUD

1 minute ago, TRMNTR said:

It was an issue when the game came out. Don't know how the game has changed since. Couldn't play most strikes and raids with (high-level) friends as I would get absolutely destroyed.

I believe then it is fixed after all these years. 

My experience with the Beyond light was decent(and pre sunset campaigns were a blast ). You just complete story mode and some exotic missions and do few weekly challenges , that should get you "new raid ready".

And if a raid says 1320 level and you are 1321 and your friends are 1400. You do the same damage in the PVE element AFAIK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pacifier said:

I believe then it is fixed after all these years. 

My experience with the Beyond light was decent(and pre sunset campaigns were a blast ). You just complete story mode and some exotic missions and do few weekly challenges , that should get you "new raid ready".

And if a raid says 1320 level and you are 1321 and your friends are 1400. You do the same damage in the PVE element AFAIK.

Dayum, that's f**king great!

The problem with destiny 2 is it has lost a lot content due to DCV (destiny content vault) and sunsetting. And its not like warframe where vaulted content returns every 3 months or so. Its just lying in the vault gathering dust. Also, whatever expansions u pay or have paid for, there is no guarantee it'll stay. Basically, you don't get to keep what you paid for. Hence, i don't recommend Destiny 2 to any newcomers who want to enter into the game.

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

So they are actually paying 2.4 billion upfront

Yuss. And they have 4 times that amount left for more strategic acquisitions (no limited to gaming division apparently) to be used by 2024. Not too shabby for a 'broke' company. 

Edited by gecko89