Survey for the not-so-young gamers

caKravartin9

Hi friends,

I am currently taking a class on the sociology of deviance and am working on a video essay. As part of that, I am to highlight a group of people considered to be deviant in India. I have chosen 'adult gamers' like myself to be my topic of discussion. As such, I would really appreciate if some of you can share your experiences as adult gamers yourselves regarding the following:

1. Why do you feel is the societal perception of people who are not kids playing video games?

2. Where do you think this sentiment comes from?

3. Do you feel that gaming is a valid form of recreation for adults as well? Does it take away from your other responsibilities?

4. Have you felt any sort of pushback from people around you regarding your gaming habits?

I am extremely thankful to anyone who chooses to participate!

On 3/2/2022 at 6:57 PM, caKravartin9 said:

1. Why do you feel is the societal perception of people who are not kids playing video games?

People older than my age group think its a waste of time. Whereas others see it some sort of a cool thing to own a gaming PC/console.

Its mostly due to inability of people to comprehend the fact that gaming is just another way of entertainment/passing time just as any other such activity like watching TV, reading books etc.

3. Do you feel that gaming is a valid form of recreation for adults as well?

Yes, why not.
Does it take away from your other responsibilities?

Yes but only if not done in a controlled manner. Like other forms of entertainment, one should not let gaming disrupt your other priorities in life.

4. Have you felt any sort of pushback from people around you regarding your gaming habits?

Yes obviously when you reach a certain age, you are expected to be a role model and handle additional responsibilities in life. So your family tends to pushback when it comes to such stuff.

Edited by goDofWar_skr
  • Like 1

Hi friends,

I am currently taking a class on the sociology of deviance and am working on a video essay. As part of that, I am to highlight a group of people considered to be deviant in India. I have chosen 'adult gamers' like myself to be my topic of discussion. As such, I would really appreciate if some of you can share your experiences as adult gamers yourselves regarding the following:

3. Do you feel that gaming is a valid form of recreation for adults as well? Does it take away from your other responsibilities?

1. Varies widely. I feel like it's increasingly accepted. Genuinely haven't run into anyone except parents of very young children who dismiss gaming as a whole lately.

2. I don't know, I feel like PC/console gaming is too niche for most people to care about nowadays, at least in India. Not even most businesses care about it, with mobile gaming being the behemoth that it is.

3. I... don't know how to answer this question. Anything a person enjoys is a valid form of recreation, as long as they aren't going out of their way to harm themselves or others. Of course, taken to an extreme it can be a form of escapism or addiction; but that's true for pretty much everything under the sun.

4. No.

1. Why do you feel is the societal perception of people who are not kids playing video games? - They are considered as socially awkward. People generally consider gaming to be for kids

2. Where do you think this sentiment comes from? - High cost of games and systems, generally the older generation did not have video games and computers growing up so cannot connect to the charm of sitting in front of a TV screen and bashing buttons for hours. For them, other forms of entertaintment such as Books (even comics) and sports make more sense.

3. Do you feel that gaming is a valid form of recreation for adults as well? Does it take away from your other responsibilities? Yes, it is as valid as spending 2 hours in front of a soap opera and takes you away from reaponsibilites as much as that would. Its a different story altogether that as you grow older, the will to boot up a gaming system on work days vs switching on netflix or youtube keeps going down. Gaming is mostly relegated to weekends.

4. Have you felt any sort of pushback from people around you regarding your gaming habits? Yes, friends family members relatives etc. Anyone who does not enjoy video games considers them to be a waste of money.