The Headphones Thread

dylanjosh

I have the pulse 3D. It was easier to locate enemies in Returnal on the pulse headset than the other 2 devices I tried (sennheiser HD 599 se and Fiio fh3). As far as comfort goes it is pretty light weight but the ear cups are small and the cushions are shallow. The leatherette material causes heat build up around your ears. It might be OK for a couple hours of gaming before it starts getting uncomfortable, your mileage may vary though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bhpian Bali said:

It's ok. Now i dont need earphones. 

I am now looking for headsets. Is there a headsets thread for that?

Yeah. This is pretty handy. 

https://www.tomorrowtides.com/the-headsets-thread1.html

• 1 month later...

Bose Quiet Comfort II TWS apparently kill the competition when it comes to ANC. Almost every review mentions that these are the new ANC king and are much better than the Sony. I am sure Sony is working on their new TWS as it has been a year since the xm4. I hope Apple pushes the boundary even more with the AAP2 supposed to release in a few days. 

I guess the only place TWS need to catch up are sound. It is sad that $20-$50 Chi-Fi IEMs blow all these $200-300 buds out of the water when it comes to sound. I picked up the 7Hz Zero for 1.7k and they are magical if you like a neutral sound signature, hook them up to a Bluetooth DAC and you are set, obviously without the TWS features like ANC etc. Unfortunately even the Chi-Fi brands are not able to crack the TWS formula. 

Edited by SuperT

1 minute ago, SuperT said:

Bose Quiet Comfort II apparently kill the competition when it comes to ANC. Almost every review mentions that these are the new ANC king and are much better than the Sony. I am sure Sony is working on their new buds as it has been a year since the xm4. I hope Apple pushes the boundary even more with the AAP2.

I guess the only place earbuds need to catch up are sound. It is sad that $20-$50 Chi-Fi IEMs blow all these $200-300 buds out of the water when it comes to sound. I picked up the 7Hz Zero for 1.7k and they are magical if you like a neutral sound signature. Unfortunately even the Chi-Fi brands are not able to crack the TWS formula. 

ANC is only a part of the equation. At $299 they don't have quality of life improvements like Multipoint and Wireless charging.

I am not sure if anyone looking for a daily TWS will be ready to sacrifice these features.

Just now, KunjanPSD said:

ANC is only a part of the equation. At $299 they don't have quality of life improvements like Multipoint and Wireless charging.

I am not sure if anyone looking for a daily TWS will be ready to sacrifice these features.

I am absolutely fine with not having wireless charging. Yes, not providing multipoint at $299 is a sin. Apparently they sound better than the Sony but time will tell. For me ANC and sound are the only two categories and if a TWS can nail those two I am sold. Going to wait for the AAP2 and then take a call.

2 hours ago, SuperT said:

I am absolutely fine with not having wireless charging. Yes, not providing multipoint at $299 is a sin. Apparently they sound better than the Sony but time will tell. For me ANC and sound are the only two categories and if a TWS can nail those two I am sold. Going to wait for the AAP2 and then take a call.

But can you really tell such fine difference between the ANC and sound quality during everyday use while streaming?

Edited by KunjanPSD

19 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

But can you really tell such fine difference between the ANC and sound quality during everyday use while streaming?

ANC - 100% I think any one can tell a diff. between good/bad ANC no ? I can easily tell you that the ANC on Jabra suck compared to Sony/Apple. Better ANC means you get less distractions from outside and you can enjoy your music. Also, you don't have to turn the volume up with good ANC so it is good for your ears/hearing too. 

Sound Quality - When I am just relaxing and listening to music - 100% but I mostly use wired IEMs/Headphones for that, just do a A/B testing if possible. Use any TWS and then listen to the same song with quality wired IEMs/Headphones like Moondrop Kato or Sennheiser HD 599 I can guarantee you that the sound will be richer as well as have better soundstage. Heck, you might hear instruments that you would have never heard before because the usual TWS have over boosted bass/treble etc. to please the general public who have never heard quality audio before. So when a TWS at least make an attempt to improve the sound I am 100% for it. Can go on and it will get very technical but I'll stop 

But at the end of the day ignorance is bliss, if you are happy with the usual TWS sound quality good for you. Trust me it is a rabbit hole and my wallet is always unhappy. I think this can be compared to switching from HD to 4K or from LED to OLED, if you want to draw parallels. If you have never experienced OLED you will be happy with LED. 

Edited by SuperT

3 hours ago, SuperT said:

ANC - 100% I think any one can tell a diff. between good/bad ANC no ? I can easily tell you that the ANC on Jabra suck compared to Sony/Apple. Better ANC means you get less distractions from outside and you can enjoy your music. Also, you don't have to turn the volume up with good ANC so it is good for your ears/hearing too. 

Sound Quality - When I am just relaxing and listening to music - 100% but I mostly use wired IEMs/Headphones for that, just do a A/B testing if possible. Use any TWS and then listen to the same song with quality wired IEMs/Headphones like Moondrop Kato or Sennheiser HD 599 I can guarantee you that the sound will be richer as well as have better soundstage. Heck, you might hear instruments that you would have never heard before because the usual TWS have over boosted bass/treble etc. to please the general public who have never heard quality audio before. So when a TWS at least make an attempt to improve the sound I am 100% for it. Can go on and it will get very technical but I'll stop 

But at the end of the day ignorance is bliss, if you are happy with the usual TWS sound quality good for you. Trust me it is a rabbit hole and my wallet is always unhappy. I think this can be compared to switching from HD to 4K or from LED to OLED, if you want to draw parallels. If you have never experienced OLED you will be happy with LED. 

You can tell the difference between good and bad ANC headsets/earphones. But how much would you be able to tell the difference when the competition is already as good as Sony's

6 hours ago, SuperT said:

Bose Quiet Comfort II TWS apparently kill the competition when it comes to ANC. Almost every review mentions that these are the new ANC king and are much better than the Sony. I am sure Sony is working on their new TWS as it has been a year since the xm4. I hope Apple pushes the boundary even more with the AAP2 supposed to release in a few days. 

I guess the only place TWS need to catch up are sound. It is sad that $20-$50 Chi-Fi IEMs blow all these $200-300 buds out of the water when it comes to sound. I picked up the 7Hz Zero for 1.7k and they are magical if you like a neutral sound signature, hook them up to a Bluetooth DAC and you are set, obviously without the TWS features like ANC etc. Unfortunately even the Chi-Fi brands are not able to crack the TWS formula. 

How's the AQ compared to Seinns TWS ? The latest ones are pretty good with soundstage and general AQ. 

2 hours ago, Sach4life said:

You can tell the difference between good and bad ANC headsets/earphones. But how much would you be able to tell the difference when the competition is already as good as Sony's

ANC is getting better every year, I think there is a lot of scope. Every single review says that the Bose are much better at ANC than the Sony. So I am guessing the difference must be obvious. Also, Bose has tackled human voices very well in their buds this time which has been a weak point for ANC since a long time. 

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

How's the AQ compared to Seinns TWS ? The latest ones are pretty good with soundstage and general AQ. 

I don’t think the Bose can beat the Sennheiser for sound. So basically sound would be Senn>Bose>Sony and ANC would be Bose>Sony>Senn. It’s going to be fun to see how the new AirPods fair against them. But the Bose have just launched so time will tell. Also, sound is super subjective so it’s hard to judge. I for one can’t stand boosted bass on the Sony. Apparently the new Audio Technica TWS are supposed to be crazy good sound wise. Unfortunately available right now only in Japan. 

Edited by SuperT
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...