• 1 month later...

From 1UP Blog

168zkur.jpg

FF-VersusXIII.net posted a bunch of scans from a Japanese book last night that, if you look closely, seems to reveal some in-game shots of Final Fantasy Versus XIII. And, not surprisingly, it looks an awful lot like Crisis Core.

You have the one dude running around with a sword, people standing around near him, and a stack of menus in the upper-left corner. This sort of confirms my suspicion than Crisis Core was a prototype for Square Enix's future Final Fantasy titles, or at least the action-y spin-offs. The company's been trying to make action games for a while now and doing a piss-poor job of it with the likes of Dirge of Cerberus and, I'm sorry to say, Kingdom Hearts. But Crisis Core did a respectable job of reconciling real-time gameplay with a menu-driven system without feeling like yet another hackneyed Monster Hunter clone, so it's no surprise to see the company mining it for all it's worth. Birth By Sleep feels more like CC than your typical Kingdom Hearts (and is all the better for it), and Final Fantasy Agito XIII's new facelift seems to have changed the game from turn-based card game to something along the lines of Crisis Core as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Parasite Eve take a similar tack.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Dengeki: Fabula Nova Crystallis Nomura Interview

Tetsuya Nomura has once again been interviewed by Japanese gaming magazine Dengeki and within the article are some interesting new details concerning all the Fabula Nova Crystallis titles. Here they are summarised.

Nomura is no longer involved in the development of Final Fantasy XIII. All the character design is finished so he's moved onto working with his own projects.

He's currently concentrating on Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy Agito XIII.

The battle system for Agito has evolved since we last saw it.

Even though Agito is on the PSP, they're aiming to make it the pinnacle" of this handheld generation.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII is being developed by many members from the Final Fantasy VII team who are working well together.

The team isn't making any compromises so the quality of the finished product should be great.

They're currently testing the battle system and map gimmicks in Versus.

Versus will have a day and night cycle.

Nomura wants to show the result of leaving a character on their own for a long period of time.

He asks us to be patient for Versus information. Once he gets to a certain point he'll have a surprise for us. (Versus won't be shown at E3 almost 100% confirmed).

Final Fantasy XIII will have new screenshots and a trailer revealed at E3.

Source

• 3 months later...

No Final Fantasy Versus XIII At Tokyo Game Show

According Square Enix game designer Tetsuya Nomura, Final Fantasy XIII will be playable. His title, Final Fantasy Versus, won’t be anywhere to be seen, however.

Unlike last year, Square Enix will not be screening trailers for upcoming titles like Final Fantasy Versus XIII and instead will be focusing on playable demos for titles due out in the next year.

That apparently means no new trailers, screens or footage of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy Agito XIII or Parasite Eve: The Third Birthday.

Final Fantasy XIII is slated for this winter in Japan, while FF Versus XIII still is TBA. Surely, people can make due with a new FFXIII demo, no?

source

final fantasy versus 13 is okay..a little understandable.....dont tell me parasite eve is also another year away...

Kamina square enix :doh:

Edited by playstation

Ah. I remember reading about a third part being made exclusively for mobiles.

I wish my DS were a PSP all of a sudden :ranting:

what difference that would have made bro..the game is coming out 2011..and god knows when :O

infact after reading this news i wish my psp were ds

Edited by playstation

• 4 weeks later...

new screens from SE

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-playstation-3-ps3-015.jpg

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-playstation-3-ps3-016.jpg

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-playstation-3-ps3-017.jpg

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-playstation-3-ps3-014.jpg

and they showed some gameplay footage too. (behind closed doors only)

While we've been seeing realtime footage of Stella and Noctis's first meeting since last year's DK-something-something-90210 event, the new TGS video offered a first look at gameplay -- that is, someone was clearly moving a character around. I'm pretty sure that character was Noctis. A series of clips showed Noctis moving around through the streets of a European-style city, first surrounded by other people, and then alone at night. Next, the footage switched to Noctis moving about a vast field. Here, he was joined by monsters, some massive. I was actually reminded of a scene of Hope running around FFXIII's vast Pulse fields in the TGS FFXIII trailer.

When referring to the Versus XIII TGS showing, I use "footage" instead of "trailer" because what we were shown wasn't actually a trailer. The footage was all off-screen, filmed off presumably development units by the development staff. It was set to the same music from past trailers, but there wasn't any attempt to make a promotional trailer out of the various gameplay clips.

Below the footage, subtitles showed a conversation being had by Tetsuya Nomura and other staff members as they viewed the footage. They seemed to be joking around mostly. For instance, someone asked why there was no one around in the night scene. Nomura's response was that everyone had probably gone home.

Admittedly, I was only able to view the trailer once, so I didn't get to look too closely at the text. There may have been some other gameplay secrets hidden in there (if the usual progression holds, a Famitsu interview will clear up such things in a couple of weeks).

This was definitely an unconventional method of showing off first gameplay footage from a game. But, then again, it's not entirely surprising. The DK-something-something event also offered visitors a glimpse at early prototype clips of Versus in similar fashion, with the developers joking around as the brief footage flowed across the screen.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/09/2...s_xiii_footage/

Nomura interview

According to Nomura, the footage wasn't actually from a development version of the game, but was rather part of a technology test. It's not the case that everything shown during the clip will be used in the actual game. The clip was quickly made in an effort to show that Versus is in development and ease fan anxieties.

Nomura said that this was just a test of how far they could differentiate day and night scenes. The NPC characters who populated the town during the daytime were actually borrowed from Final Fantasy XIII.

The map that was used for the following field scene was made in two weeks, said Nomura. It won't be used in that form in the final version of the game. The "behemoth" creature from the clip was without textures, he also said. Regarding the game's fields, Nomura added that Versus will probably have more natural landscapes than Final Fantasy XIII (I recall him having said something like this this in the past).

Asked if accessories for the game would be Roen branded, Nomura said that Noctis does not wear accessories like necklaces and earrings. The only accessory he wears is a ring on his right hand. This ring is worn as part of the story.

While Noctis wears nothing but the ring on his right hand, he wears a biker glove on his left hand. Asked if this means that Noctis rides a bike, Nomura responded with a laugh, "Probably."

The Noctis character shown in the video is pretty much finalized, said Nomura. Asked of there have been any changes to the characters since past showings, he said that the hair has been cut a bit shorter, although the style is unchanged.

. According to Nomura, the development team has been working on tests since last year. Since the Spring, they've been gradually increasing staff. With FFXIII's development winding down, staff from that project are coming over to Versus, so he expects development to accelerate from here on out.

Source- andriasang