The Last of Us Online - Working Title

Heaven Angel

One of the big reasons why Sony bought Bungie is for their GaaS experience, if its not good enough to sustain its player base for a few years, it’ll be retooled till it’s good enough or be cancelled. Sony cannot afford to have a sh*t game especially with the last of us. 

I’d rather see it canceled than end up as Sony’s version of Halo Infinite. Let ND cook.

• Like 3

If something not working out then its best to cancel and move on than wasting resources on it. Creating a successful GaaS game is very hard today as there's lot of competition. You have to stand out and put lot of resources to keep players engage for long time.

That said i still believe Last of Us multiplayer will shine in BR style mode. Hopefully for Last of Us 3 ND will consider it.

Edited by Kazarka

• 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, SRINI87 said:

This is really sad if true.

Similar title The Day Before which looked intriguing has also died apparently.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:02 PM, hazard12345 said:

Multiplayer additions for a single player focus adventure with not an open world style can never keep players hooked.

Uncharted 4 mp also died.

At the end there are multiplayer focused titles on the market.

Uncharted 4 mp neither any other Uncharted mp or even TLOU1 mp were open world.

And they were very very successful with regards to being an additional component.

Yeah I believe they should have stuck to the fragfest design rather than going for the grandure open world MMO/Battle Royal design(whichever they were planning).

I can only hope that Horizon Multiplayer game doesn’t get the same fate as Multiplayer games were never Sony’s forte.

Shouldn’t have gone overboard with trying to turn every studio into a Bungie.

18 hours ago, Bauji said:

Lol, looks like they were just waiting for Jim to gtfo and cancelled it as soon as he is gone :lol:

The same guy who confirmed that it’s being reevaluated following Bungie’s inputs is denying any such confirmation about the project being completely canceled:- 

https://x.com/jasonschreier/status/1712564644601377146?s=46&t=W8b3dd3Gm1tVuHfoc9QjJg

It’s on hold & one can never say never with Playstation Studios,specially with what happened in case of The Last Guardian.

Though I would have preferred if they had remained less ambitious & released it just like any other complimentary component of TLOU2.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bauji said:

Never a good thing?

It is a good thing but only in steps.

For instance ND itself took years & years of cinematic story telling formula to take a leap like TLOU.

So did Sony Santa Monica with GoW.

Speaking of service based games Bungie excelled the multiplayer/Co-op formula before taking a GaaS leap like Destiny.

But if ND & Bungie switch places & try to take leaps in each other’s domain without the basic foundation for it….than that’s Over Ambition.

• 1 month later...