The Watch Thread

akashkhannabond007

On 7/27/2019 at 2:22 AM, AtheK said:

great photography, i am stuck to Samsung Watch these days, planning to order few straps from AE. Something like this.

GWSilver_1024x1024.jpg?v=1543306295

Using Milanese on S3: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B071SHW6H8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks pretty good. Lightweight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmage said:

Link for the orient please

The model of the watch is: Orient Bambino Version 4 Automatic FAC08002F0

I'm leaving you with 3 Links each with it's own pro's and con's which I will highlight:

I.

Orient Watches India - Bambino Green Dial

The above link is from Orient Watches India. They are good to deal with and I have bought from them before in the past without problems. They use DTDC Priority shipping. Problem however is two-fold: The model is seldom in stock on their website and also the stiff price of almost 19k!

II.

Orient Bambino V4 Green Dial - CreationWatches Singapore

The above link is from Creation Watches Singapore. They have the best available prices. Problem is Indian Customs and the associated Customs Duty. I always choose the option "Registered Airmail (Without Watch Box, with watch pouch, 10-14 days worldwide)". The watch will come well packed and in velvet pouch with layers of bubble wrap inside a plastic bag as is used in normal shipment, secured. It takes longer but I feel it's better than the other option of having to deal with DHL and their high Customs Clearance and Handling fees. With Registered Airmail the shipment will arrive through Singapore Post and then subsequently India Post and you can track the shipment on both Singapore Post website and India Post website. Should the shipment get stuck at Indian Customs (it might slip the duty hammer as well!) with status updates like "Invoice Missing" or "CN22/23 Missing or Inappropriate" you will have to email your local Customs Office (Google should get you their email ID) the invoice of payment and the actual payment statement for the watch. You can even call your Local Customs Office or visit them for assistance. This will get your shipment released from Customs quicker, but with 42% duty levied. In my case this is what happened. I paid Rs.3656/- as Customs Duty. The Postman will collect it from you at the time of delivery of the parcel. You will not get to know the amount till the Postman shows up. (If you have any additional questions regarding Customs Duty please do ask, if I know I will surely help).

If you happen to choose DHL, well then the Duty levied along with their handling charges will be higher. You will however get your shipment earlier and they will clear Customs for you. You will however need to send them the documents as per their request for Indian Customs clearance process.

Orient Bambino Green Dial - Amazon US

The above link is from Amazon US but as you will see unfortunately they don't ship the green dial variant of the Bambino Version 4 to India. However, they do ship the blue dial and grey dial variants. Should you be inclined to getting those dial color variants then Amazon US do offer Amazon Global Priority Shipping. Amazon will handle Customs for you and they take an amount of money in advance for the Duty (which they call "Import Fees Deposit) along with your Identity proof documents which they need for Customs Clearance. The price should be around 16k (Amazon Global Priority Shipping & Import Fees Deposit included).

Hope this helps! Good luck and the green variant is a remarkably beautiful watch. I have received a lot of compliments on it in the last few days of wearing it. Also, a word on Customs Duty... it's one of those things. Paid and best forgotten. In my years of watch purchasing I have paid significant amounts of Duty but eventually the beauty of a timepiece always wins me over and makes me cherish each and every piece in it's own right.

Cheers my friend :)

Edited by Black_Hawk
  • Like 3

DSCF7545.jpg

West End Queen Ann

This is from the very early WWI era. The West End Queen Ann was a part of the Official Uniform gear for the Indian Army serving in the First World War in the early 1900's. This was issued to the Army who traveled from Bombay to the Persian Gulf to reach Mesopotamia back then. Yes it's jaded now but I absolutely love wearing this from time to time.

A solid slice of History on the wrist! :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

What is a reliable place to buy Komandirskie? And how much should a NOS cost me approx? 

This website:

Meranom - Komandirskie

You can also contact them and write to them to mention "Used watch Parts" on your shipment to avoid Customs Duty. (Fair Warning: Customs Duty are a hit & miss).

If your looking to find a NOS piece in India it might be a tough task as most will be used, vintage Komandirskie's and Vostoks. Some in good condition, some not. They might range anywhere between 3-5k. Good thing is, you will stumble upon rare Russian watches this way. If you want a contact person's number who deals with vintage Russian watches do let me know, I will PM his contact number to you.

Cheers mate! :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

This website:

Meranom - Komandirskie

You can also contact them and write to them to mention "Used watch Parts" on your shipment to avoid Customs Duty. (Fair Warning: Customs Duty are a hit & miss).

If your looking to find a NOS piece in India it might be a tough task as most will be used, vintage Komandirskie's and Vostoks. Some in good condition, some not. They might range anywhere between 3-5k. Good thing is, you will stumble upon rare Russian watches this way. If you want a contact person's number who deals with vintage Russian watches do let me know, I will PM his contact number to you.

Cheers mate! :)

Thanks man! PM me the number if you will. Wouldnt mind picking up a vostok either if something looks good. Cant find anything on OLX. 

Picked up another HMT on OLX though. :P

Needs servicing though but its a gorgeous dial in really good condition (considering its from 1976). Very Omega inspired. Gonna post pics once I set it up with a strap post servicing. :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Nathan.Drake said:

Couldn't decide which one to get. Ended up Buying both :D 

Orient Bambino V4 

fQnAXJT.jpg

HZSxNGa.jpg

Seiko 5 Sports Fifty Fathoms

CXY0u5G.jpg

But unfortunately Seiko one came with a scratch on the crystal :(

hDhHLBi.jpg 

Many Congratulations!! Did you get them from Creationwatches? Did you get stung with any Duties?

I'm so sorry that the crystal is scratched on the Seiko, maybe taking it to the Seiko service center will be of help in getting the Hardlex replaced? It must be incredibly dampening to get a brand new watch with a scratch in the dead center of the dial like that one!! 

P.S. I notice you received a watch pillow with your Seiko, did you by any chance use shipping through DHL?

Edited by Black_Hawk

35 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

Many Congratulations!! Did you get them from Creationwatches? Did you get stung with any Duties?

I'm so sorry that the crystal is scratched on the Seiko, maybe taking it to the Seiko service center will be of help in getting the Hardlex replaced? It must be incredibly dampening to get a brand new watch with a scratch in the dead center of the dial like that one!! 

P.S. I notice you received a watch pillow with your Seiko, did you by any chance use shipping through DHL?

Thanks man. I bought them off Amazon USA, a friend traveling back carried it for me. 

Yea i will be contacting Seiko service center tomorrow to see what can be done. Got in touch with Amazon customer care, they said they can refund 40% of the watch's cost. Unless i could return it. Lets see. 

4 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

My recent acquisition...

Orient Day Date President (EV00J002W)

TROIKA!

DSCF7597.jpg

Left: Orient Calendar (Y-46946724-335)

Center: Orient Day Date President (EV00J002W)

Right: Orient Bambino (FAC08002F0)

Awesome purchase man.  And like always beautiful pictures. 

My father used to have the Orient Calendar :)

• Like 1