Steam deals

Aftrunner

246 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Look even if that happens, I can keep STEAM eternally running in 'Offline Mode' and as long as the game is on my hard-drive I shall face no issue running it.

Not entirely true and I think you know it.

Not entirely true and I think you know it.

I have finished four-five games using this method. I don't get achievements and my playtime is unrecorded but rest everything functions.

No point in arguing here, ppl jst ain't gonna accept tht valve is one of the worst when it comes to drm n micro-transactions.

Because it's NOT true.

DRM? Micro-transactions? VALVE? You kidding right?

Steam DRM is one of the most simple DRM. (Steam_api and release date check to avoid piracy). 3rd party titles forcing DRM is not Valve's issue.

Micro transaction? Dude, it's F2P game. You think managing 605,038 (current DOTA 2 stat) players at a time is EASY? It requires ton of money and manage thousands of servers to provide proper gameplay without f**king up anything.

(Unlike EA and other publishers. Who just take money and show you middle finger.)

Plus, 90% of the items are cosmetic.

^ If they are installed on your hard-drive and your account is set-up to run offline / you already logged into it, yes otherwise no.

It's limited to 2 weeks if i am not mistaken. Besides, offline or online, you need to run a 'drm' application just to enjoy a sp game.

Maybe they patched it in recently, I have gone through months on the offline mode when I was in college, c.2011 -->12.

Also, STEAM has never kicked me out of a game (single-player) when I am running in offline mode / internet disrupts, ORIGIN / BattleLog kicks me to the browser every time. And well UPlay! learnt it the hard way after the fiasco with Assassin's Creed II.

Edited by ALPHA17

^ If they are installed on your hard-drive and your account is set-up to run offline / you already logged into it, yes otherwise no.

Maybe they patched it in recently, I have gone through months on the offline mode when I was in college, c.2011 -->12.

Also, STEAM has never kicked me out of a game (single-player) when I am running in offline mode / internet disrupts, ORIGIN / BattleLog kicks me to the browser every time. And well UPlay! learnt it the hard way after the fiasco with Assassin's Creed II.

Basically i would have to be logged into steam on my pc first to run the offline mode?

And none of those things are micro-tansactions, or are they? :fear:

At-least the micro-transactions net you a cut, I have yet to see other games / services give you real-world credit to purchase more games from the same service.

As much as I hate all this, the credit is yours to spend as you see fit. I don't see EA doing that any time soon or UPlay! for that matter.

And if you are so opposed to DRM, start purchasing from GoG.com and Humble Store only, no need for STEAM.

Stockholm Syndrome is strong in this thread

Interesting you bring that up, when none other digital distribution service offers so much value, without charging you a registration fee and all to boot.

Or you are going to tell me how it is wiser to buy a console, create a paid account on it to do stuff like play online.

Basically i would have to be logged into steam on my pc first to run the offline mode?

No, log in, go to settings and turn on OFFLINE MODE. Now some peeps are saying it is capped to two weeks, which is a reasonable time limit unless you are in a place like your college where the network is locked down.

I will do a complete picture chart to explain if that is what you need. Cheerio!

Edited by ALPHA17

Yeah you got me :P

Just to put this on record, I don't like this new layer of micro-transaction and gamification that VALVe has added to STEAM or the fact that the service initially started as a DRM system but the way VALVe has opened up STEAM and gone on to integrate the user base is what really keeps it above every other gaming digital distribution platform.

I am not hear to grind against XBL or PSN+ but they simply don't provide the same amount of value as STEAM.

I already said tht i love the fact tht i can make a few dollars daily from the idiots who buys these items. But tht doesn't excuse Valve for what it has become ( or has always been?) - i.e., greedy drm n micro-t pushing corp, just like the rest of them.

Tell me how convoluted STEAM was earlier (no offline mode, no pause download) and what it is now.

If GoG could give me every game that STEAM offers I would jump ship in a jiffy but this is not a perfect world, so I am making do instead of crying about everything.

And I have a rap-sheet of things I dislike about STEAM, starting with the fakking DOWNLOAD MANAGER which is slower than ORIGIN and can be really cantankerous at times. Also, customer service.

Either way, I think we have detracted from the original topic at hand, can games which are on your hard-disk be accessed and enjoyed in-case your ISP decides to take a hike. Under most circumstances, OFFLINE MODE should see you through.

Edited by ALPHA17

If for some reason you lost your internet right now before going into offline mode, probably not, i don't think so

It works every time. Switches to offline mode for me. If I dont have internet working and start Steam, it goes to offline mode and I can play my games.

What i want to know is that if i have not logged into steam and my internet stops working, would i then be able to play the games?

You will need to have the local profile data and OFFLINE MODE activated. Using that log into STEAM, it will show a prompt for which just say to 'Log in offline mode' from there on you can play / access all games single player content.

Unless it runs on another layer of DRM which prevents its working.

Got to know from another thread that Joe's an aussie O_O

Sweet. He's like one of the pillars of PC Gaming here. How did you end up on this forum Joe ? I know the aussie console gaming scene would make the Indian scene miniscule but how strong is PC gaming over there ? Also , any dedicated aussie gaming communities/forums ?

It's not the same now. I have not counted the number of days, but the 2 week time that someone mentioned seems to be the breaking point for offline mode on Steam.

Got to know from another thread that Joe's an aussie O_O

Sweet. He's like one of the pillars of PC Gaming here. How did you end up on this forum Joe ?

XXgameanalyzerXX (spelled wrong. Meet him through another forum) linked me to IVG during Assassin's Creed III giveaway. After that I stayed as it was an 'active' community. :P

I know the aussie console gaming scene would make the Indian scene miniscule but how strong is PC gaming over there ?

It's pretty much same like India except we play lot of MMOs. Same amount of absurd pricing on games ($80-120) and PC components.

I tried to help with pricing, but they are just f**king lazy and don't want to trade or try 3rd party sites. :wallbash:

Also , any dedicated aussie gaming communities/forums ?

No 'active' dedicated forums or blogs (lazy f**king people) other than Ausgamers.com. Rest all sites have small sub-domain section for OZ-NZ people. Kotaku/Gamespot/Cybergamer..etc.

It's not the same now. I have not counted the number of days, but the 2 week time that someone mentioned seems to be the breaking point for offline mode on Steam.

Okay, did not know since I have stable interwebz here.

Anyway, how you doing these days?

Wish you and your family a Happy, Prosperous and Cheerful 2014.

Okay, did not know since I have stable interwebz here.

Anyway, how you doing these days?

Wish you and your family a Happy, Prosperous and Cheerful 2014.

Happy new year to you as well. Have applied to 3-4 universities for PhD and there are still a couple of applications left, so have been busy in all that stuff throughout the last many weeks. Been playing little bit GTA 5 in between. Just got 2 NZXT 200mm fans through brother in USA and will install them this month(if you remember about the need for those fans).

• Like 1