Assassin's Creed: Mirage

Engineer

31 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

The last AC game i played was Unity. Since then haven't even touched the franchise. If i want to try one which one should i opt for: Origins, Odyssey or Valhalla? I'm leaning towards Origins cause i'm not a big fan of Norse Myth and have heard bad things about Odyssey but those who have played every game in the franchise what do you think?

odyssey>Valhalla>>>>origins

8 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Unpopular opinion but I loved AC3. In fact im going to play it again on my series x soon

Usually in the AC series, there are a few games that Ubi actually put effort into and then some copy paste games with slight variations. AC3 was definitely one of those special titles. The game didn't have a single low effort copy paste side mission. All side content was unique. I loved it too despite playing it after Black Flag.

48 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

The last AC game i played was Unity. Since then haven't even touched the franchise. If i want to try one which one should i opt for: Origins, Odyssey or Valhalla? I'm leaning towards Origins cause i'm not a big fan of Norse Myth and have heard bad things about Odyssey but those who have played every game in the franchise what do you think?

Origins is another one. Ubi gave it their all and had the guy behind Black Flag work on this new title as it was unlike any of their predecessors with those RPG elements.

3 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Pls don't suck! Trailer was promising and felt like AC going back to its roots at last.

It's bait. That's what they want you to think. I ain't falling for it. For me personally, Ubi ruined AC when they abandoned the present day story line.

4 hours ago, gecko89 said:

Just watched the trailer. I remember feeling this excited when AC2 trailer was shown ? Wasn't expecting Baghdad but does have a Prince of Persia-ish vibes, especially the local attires and the shot of Basim at the top of the dome.

Also, I hope Ubisoft considers a mainline game set in around Ashoka-Kalinga War time or Guptan Empire or even Vijayanagara Empire(this could cover mainland and the seas of the south east). This would be fresh since very few outside India know of these kingdoms.

Won't happen because Westerners have zero interest in Indian settings.

Edited by Kumar123

1 hour ago, Agent 47 said:

Oh man that's a difficult choice. I liked Egypt more than the Greek Islands. Egypt feels unique, there's no AC game that feels like that. 

But i liked the gameplay of Odyssey more. It refines some stuff from Origins which wasn't very good. 

5 hours ago, gecko89 said:

Also, I hope Ubisoft considers a mainline game set in around Ashoka-Kalinga War time or Guptan Empire or even Vijayanagara Empire(this could cover mainland and the seas of the south east). This would be fresh since very few outside India know of these kingdoms.

one of the first rumored infinity AC game was supposed to be set in india. and agree with the setting but it will most likely be some crap like east india/ british raj or delhi sultanate. but if they do come to india i hope the setting is something lesser known like south kingdoms, the mauryas or even maybe even the sikh empire like being a part of guru gobind singh ji's khalsa or porus vs Alexander. 

2 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

Odyssey is the best in the lot, probably still top 3 AC game. What bad things have you heard? Origins and Valhalla comes at par. You can get Origins for almost free on PC i think and ubisoft plus free month is going on. If you're not a fan of Norse then you probably can skip Valhalla, select between Odyssey and Origins, or play both if you can. 

People say choosing male or female protagonist breaks the immersion that AC had with one protagonist and his storyline. Game is a drag i've heard with too much rpg elements shoved into it. There were too many MTs as well but i believe they removed it after outcry.

27 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

one of the first rumored infinity AC game was supposed to be set in india. and agree with the setting but it will most likely be some crap like east india/ british raj or delhi sultanate. but if they do come to india i hope the setting is something lesser known like south kingdoms, the mauryas or even maybe even the sikh empire like being a part of guru gobind singh ji's khalsa or porus vs Alexander. 

There was Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India set in 19th Century British India. Conflict between Sikh and British.

17 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

Prince of Persia SOT was set in India   

I guess the argument here would be that the setting doesn't matter as much in linear games like this one. In open world games, the world itself is as important as the protagonist and their story. It can make or break those games. Which is why, I guess people rave about the characters when they talk about games like the Uncharted series and the open world, when they talk about games like the Assassin's Creed series.

17 hours ago, Kumar123 said:

Won't happen because Westerners have zero interest in Indian settings.

More like there has never been a game with Indian setting. Since you're focusing on Open World - tell me the last open world game you remember with Indian Setting? I can think of none - and that's thinking from the time of PS1. Devs have never made an open world game set in India. They have never experimented, and hence don't know whether customers will like it or not. It's the same for China tbqh. It was only when the Chinese Market grew too big to ignore that Devs started making games set in China. Japanese Devs were the only ones making games set in Japan for the longest time. It was only after JRPGs became big - that proved customers wanted Japanese settings that Western devs did Japan (Still a minority to this day).

Western Devs seem to do only what is comfortable to them. That means - EU/US and even Fantasy is EU Middle Ages (With Magic) and Sci-Fi is US with more shiny guns blasting lasers instead of bullets (As established by Star Wars).

I can't think of a single time where devs did settings like India. We have to wait for Indian Gaming Development Induster to catch up I guess (If it ever will). 

• Thanks 1

If I may be so bold and say it, I guess, there's a chance of a backlash or "boycott" (in recent terminology) even if the tiniest part of some big concepts (like religion, history, etc.) are portrayed with some creative freedom and different from how people think of said concept.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a thin line.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy handled it very well, obviously and there was no backlash, etc.

If I was a game-dev, I'd be most concerned about who I'm offending with what part of the game, etc. Thankfully, games (especially the big-budget AAA ones) are still not as mass-market as movies, but if any big media outlet picks up some sort of negative point from a trailer or something, then it won't take long for "#[InsertGameNameHere]" to start trending on Twitter.

As a developer, publisher, gamer, that's the last thing I'd want. So, I won't blame devs if they'd want to avoid the Indian settting altogether.

The only setting I can think of, which might avoid any controversy/drama is something post-apocalyptic like TLoU or Horizon, no religion or historical accuracy ka jhanjhat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roun90 said:

More like there has never been a game with Indian setting. Since you're focusing on Open World - tell me the last open world game you remember with Indian Setting? I can think of none - and that's thinking from the time of PS1. Devs have never made an open world game set in India. They have never experimented, and hence don't know whether customers will like it or not. It's the same for China tbqh. It was only when the Chinese Market grew too big to ignore that Devs started making games set in China. Japanese Devs were the only ones making games set in Japan for the longest time. It was only after JRPGs became big - that proved customers wanted Japanese settings that Western devs did Japan (Still a minority to this day).

Western Devs seem to do only what is comfortable to them. That means - EU/US and even Fantasy is EU Middle Ages (With Magic) and Sci-Fi is US with more shiny guns blasting lasers instead of bullets (As established by Star Wars).

I can't think of a single time where devs did settings like India. We have to wait for Indian Gaming Development Induster to catch up I guess (If it ever will). 

Sounds like you agree with me.

Edited by Kumar123

7 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

If I may be so bold and say it, I guess, there's a chance of a backlash or "boycott" (in recent terminology) even if the tiniest part of some big concepts (like religion, history, etc.) are portrayed with some creative freedom and different from how people think of said concept.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a thin line.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy handled it very well, obviously and there was no backlash, etc.

If I was a game-dev, I'd be most concerned about who I'm offending with what part of the game, etc. Thankfully, games (especially the big-budget AAA ones) are still not as mass-market as movies, but if any big media outlet picks up some sort of negative point from a trailer or something, then it won't take long for "#[InsertGameNameHere]" to start trending on Twitter.

As a developer, publisher, gamer, that's the last thing I'd want. So, I won't blame devs if they'd want to avoid the Indian settting altogether.

The only setting I can think of, which might avoid any controversy/drama is something post-apocalyptic like TLoU or Horizon, no religion or historical accuracy ka jhanjhat.

Nobody gives a flying f**k about India in gaming for any #Boycott to matter, it's a teeny tiny market :rofl:

What roun90 said is right, nobody cares about an "Indian Setting" in gaming because irl India isn't a big market for games, and game devs wouldn't care about "offending" any religion or mythology for that matter, but India as a setting is not interesting for them, at all.

Even in AC which has relatively diverse settings, barely anything exotic you will get is some middle-eastern setting like Istanbul back then or Baghdad now, even AC Origins was set during Ptolemaic dynastly/Roman times, and there are so many AC games now, you can count ones that didn't have a "Western" setting on one hand.

10 hours ago, roun90 said:

These are also mainly Chinese devs only, the very few non-Chinese games set in China are those Dynasty Warriors ones and the recent TW : Three Kingdoms

• 2 weeks later...