Which Internet Connection is everyone using ?

Xeno

1 minute ago, ayush12ice said:

Only thing that worries me is sustenance of competition...

True. At the rate Ambani is taking on shareholders, he will have enough money to buy any competition. Both mobility/BB and retail. 

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

True. At the rate Ambani is taking on shareholders, he will have enough money to buy any competition. Both mobility/BB and retail. 

That is a scary thought man..  

When Jio started it's roll out giving their services for free, all i could think of was the plot from the first Kingsman movie. 

Did Jio raise prices for their plans yet? 

Just now, ayush12ice said:

That is a scary thought man..  

When Jio started it's roll out giving their services for free, all i could think of was the plot from the first Kingsman movie. 

Did Jio raise prices for their plans yet? 

For broadband, prices have stayed the same or decreased. Benefits have increased substantially. 3300 gb on any plan, even the cheapest. I think 999 onwards multiple OTT subs. On my plan (Diamond+), I just pay 150 bucks for Netflix UHD plan (4 screens). 

27 minutes ago, adity said:

So after getting pissed off with my local cable Internet, I put in a request to install jio fiber. First choice was airtel since their service is good and I wanna help support competition against Jio but they only had copper in my building which would give only 40 mbps max. 

Anyways, I put in a request for new connection at 1 pm with jio fiber and by 5:30 I had it installed and ready to go. The speed is really good (150 mbps), router has really good range and more importantly MP games on PS5 work without any hiccup. I half expected strict NAT but no issues like that. 

What kind of sorcery is this??:mellow: here jio people are are still checking whether they can give me a connection.

5 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Not sure whats going on with my connection (local ISP). Since last week I'm getting insanely high ping.

For example ping to Singapore is 260ms or so. Earlier I usd to get 80-120ms. I cross checked on https://gameserverping.com/ and everything has increased similarly. 

maybe some routing issue on their side.

45 minutes ago, adity said:

Jio fiber - AWS pings from Mumbai 

US-East (Virginia)211 ms

US East (Ohio)234 ms

US-West (California)266 ms

US-West (Oregon)268 ms

Canada (Central)217 ms

Europe (Ireland)160 ms

Europe (London)139 ms

Europe (Frankfurt)140 ms

Europe (Paris)135 ms

Europe (Stockholm)171 ms

Middle East (Bahrain)50 ms

Asia Pacific (Hong Kong)254 ms

Asia Pacific (Mumbai)20 ms

Asia Pacific (Osaka-Local)137 ms

Asia Pacific (Seoul)143 ms

Asia Pacific (Singapore)82 ms

Asia Pacific (Sydney)168 ms

Asia Pacific (Tokyo)141 ms

South America (São Paulo)367 ms

China (Beijing)234 ms

China (Ningxia)1260 ms

AWS GovCloud (US-East)233 ms

AWS GovCloud (US)281 ms

do you have 300mbps plan?

I am thinking of getting it. Do they have installation charges or something or just pay monthly rent? Is router free or have to buy while taking new connection?

^ They don't cancel easily if you don't like their connection. The marketing/installing team does their best to convince you that this is a trial and you can cancel later.

I was at my cousin's place and he took Jio Fiber because of the trial and new plans. I connected my laptop to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi and noticed some random VPN app from Jio running in the processes tab. I couldn't close the app on Windows 10 taskbar no matter how many times I tried. Restarted and it was still there. Why do they have to run that thing without the user's consent? 

Now more about privacy, they don't have a switch off button for Wi-Fi in their router which they give you. What effing company does that? You can turn off SSID's visibility but regardless it still sends out data. There's a post on reddit confirming the same. They don't even allow the user to use their own router or extender if needed. You can't access Jio router's settings page easily either without calling them.

My cousin said the ping he gets in games are all over the place. Sometimes its 90ms on Overwatch and other times its around 200ms. These type of latency issues shouldn't really happen on a fiber connection.

They trap people with offers and good speeds, but they don't want to let you know about anything else. He still had over 15 days left in his free trial so he asked for cancellation. They gave him a service request date but nothing happened, now when calls to their customer care they keep ending the calls or divert it to other departments. There are hundreds of other such cases you can find on social media. He decided to take another ISP even if he has to pay more and won't recharge Jio Fiber again.

1 minute ago, cyberpunk said:

^ They don't cancel easily if you don't like their connection. The marketing/installing team does their best to convince you that this is a trial and you can cancel later.

I was at my cousin's place and he took Jio Fiber because of the trial and new plans. I connected my laptop to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi and noticed some random VPN app from Jio running in the processes tab. I couldn't close the app on Windows 10 taskbar no matter how many times I tried. Restarted and it was still there. Why do they have to run that thing without the user's consent? 

Now more about privacy, they don't have a switch off button for Wi-Fi in their router which they give you. What effing company does that? You can turn off SSID's visibility but regardless it still sends out data. There's a post on reddit confirming the same. They don't even allow the user to use their own router or extender if needed. You can't access Jio router's settings page easily either without calling them.

My cousin said the ping he gets in games are all over the place. Sometimes its 90ms on Overwatch and other times its around 200ms. These type of latency issues shouldn't really happen on a fiber connection.

They trap people with offers and good speeds, but they don't want to let you know about anything else. He still had over 15 days left in his free trial so he asked for cancellation. They gave him a service request date but nothing happened, now when calls to their customer care they keep ending the calls or divert it to other departments. There are hundreds of other such cases you can find on social media. He decided to take another ISP even if he has to pay more and won't recharge Jio Fiber again.

VPN running from Jio on your laptop ? Please don't spew sh*t. Nothing like that happens. I have been using it for >30 months now (from preview offer), and while I don't agree with their blocking of websites (use NoDPI to get around it), the speeds are fairly consistent, and for downloading/streaming, it's a fine connection. I sometimes use it on Switch for online gaming, and get NAT B (no issues in games). Again, they don't run anything on your laptop or phone. 

There are hidden SSIDs, most likely for the new plethora of devices they are launching in the market - specially mesh systems. It will allow auto connect without user intervention (so easy stuff for our mom dad grandparents non tech savvy peeps). I don't agree with the approach, but it is not much different from the many ISPs do in the western world. Jio is replicating that model in India. Ethically, it's a different discussion. 

No experience on disconnection, but it's prepaid. Just don't recharge, and apply for disconnection online (AFAIR, their site has a separate page for it). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adity said:

I have a really positive positive experience too. Really solid pings, consistent speed as advertised, router is of good quality with good range. 

What's noDPI btw? 

Sorry, for Windows it's GoodByeDPI - https://github.com/ValdikSS/GoodbyeDPI/releases

Want to access blocked sites on Jio ? Just turn this on. :D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

VPN running from Jio on your laptop ? Please don't spew sh*t. Nothing like that happens. I have been using it for >30 months now (from preview offer), and while I don't agree with their blocking of websites (use NoDPI to get around it), the speeds are fairly consistent, and for downloading/streaming, it's a fine connection. I sometimes use it on Switch for online gaming, and get NAT B (no issues in games). Again, they don't run anything on your laptop or phone. 

There are hidden SSIDs, most likely for the new plethora of devices they are launching in the market - specially mesh systems. It will allow auto connect without user intervention (so easy stuff for our mom dad grandparents non tech savvy peeps). I don't agree with the approach, but it is not much different from the many ISPs do in the western world. Jio is replicating that model in India. Ethically, it's a different discussion. 

No experience on disconnection, but it's prepaid. Just don't recharge, and apply for disconnection online (AFAIR, their site has a separate page for it). 

Hey, no need to get offensive lol. If you have a solid experience with them, good for you. I'm not spewing shite, I just reported what I noticed and found shady. When I was in US, I have seen most ISPs allow you to turn off Wi-FI and access other settings easily. Since 2012-2013, even people are more aware about issues regarding privacy there.

And yeah, non tech savvy folks won't care about privacy and all that. As long as their Wi-Fi works, they are happy with it.

Edited by cyberpunk

Just now, cyberpunk said:

Hey, no need to get offensive lol. If you have a solid experience with them, good for you. I'm not spewing shite, I just reported what I noticed and found shady. 

And yeah, non tech savvy folks won't care about privacy and all that. As long as their Wi-Fi works, they are happy with it.

Sorry if it was offensive. :hug:

I know Jio has a f**kton of issues, specially around the control they want to have over our connection, but for a base user, it is a solid option. The challenges are primarily for power users. I couldn't figure out how to bridge it, so using my 3rd party mesh in AP mode. There is no public IP address, everything goes from a pool, Fastly based sites are f**ked like crazy (Reddit is so slow to load - just do a tracert), and random blocking of sites is insane. 

But, and a huge BUT, they again single handedly are driving BB usage in India - forcing Airtel to sh*t on their plans and give 3300 GB for as low as 400 bucks. We couldn't think of it 3 years ago. 

Even with 4k streaming and online gaming and virtual meetings, 3300GB is a GOOD amount of data.