Which Internet Connection is everyone using ?

Xeno

1 minute ago, HundredProofSam said:

Has anyone used Tata Sky Broadband? Any issues with gaming, streaming, blocked NAT etc?

My currently Hathway subscription ends in March and I'm looking for something that offers 200 mbps and up with no FUP. Right now I'm paying 12.5k (GST included)  per year for 50 GB unlimited, which is more expensive than other services.

Any alternatives that are good in Mumbai (Bandra W)?

wtf is that plan :lol:

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2020 at 10:49 PM, DinJo said:

Reached out airtel and they said they cannot install the line in my area 

Hi, Thank you for your interest in Airtel Xstream Fiber. We regret to inform that our services are not feasible in your area at the moment.

You in Mumbai?... which area?

On 12/16/2020 at 10:49 PM, DinJo said:

Reached out airtel and they said they cannot install the line in my area 

Hi, Thank you for your interest in Airtel Xstream Fiber. We regret to inform that our services are not feasible in your area at the moment.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:53 PM, Jigsaw said:

They will say that. If you really want it, contact the local area head and talk to him. If the guy is understanding, he’ll have the Fiber team deploy even if you’re the only interested customer in your society. 

So I just called the Airtel guys who send over one of their reps, sadly we only have copper wiring in the building. Said if I need FTTH I will have to take permission from the building manager to setup the wiring in the building. Ive already sent in a request to get that done. Now the waiting game begins

35 minutes ago, Snake said:

So I just called the Airtel guys who send over one of their reps, sadly we only have copper wiring in the building. Said if I need FTTH I will have to take permission from the building manager to setup the wiring in the building. Ive already sent in a request to get that done. Now the waiting game begins

Yep they need an approval from the building for it. This is what we did collectively in our building and got it approved post Diwali. Airtel deployed their peeps instantly onto the wiring work. Everything was done in a week and we got the connection up and running in the first week of December. 

Switched to their DTH service at the start of this year. Excellent in terms of service I'd say. 

43 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Yep they need an approval from the building for it. This is what we did collectively in our building and got it approved post Diwali. Airtel deployed their peeps instantly onto the wiring work. Everything was done in a week and we got the connection up and running in the first week of December. 

Switched to their DTH service at the start of this year. Excellent in terms of service I'd say. 

Yup,

The rep said as soon as they get permission, they'll hook everything up in 10 days.

Sadly, most of the people in my building are massive wankers who'll probably say no even when they don't have to spend a single rupee.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Sadly, most of the people in my building are massive wankers who'll probably say no even when they don't have to spend a single rupee.

Tell me 'bout it. I had to literally get a few selected people who have influence and decent understanding of technology to see the reasoning behind this upgrade. They, in turn, approached the secretary and the chairman and got it all sorted out. 

I mean it's literally a no brainer to shift to fiber now. It's even better that the NAT part also got sorted for online gaming. :D 

15 minutes ago, Ethan_Hunt said:

Tell me 'bout it. I had to literally get a few selected people who have influence and decent understanding of technology to see the reasoning behind this upgrade. They, in turn, approached the secretary and the chairman and got it all sorted out. 

I mean it's literally a no brainer to shift to fiber now. It's even better that the NAT part also got sorted for online gaming. :D 

Does it requires any expenses from society? Though our society has 2 providers with 100 and 150Mbps fiber plan 

Just now, DinJo said:

Does it requires any expenses from society? Though our society has 2 providers with 100 and 150Mbps fiber plan 

Didn't required any expense on our society's part as we were already powered by Airtel copper before this. This rush is to make sure that any Jio threat is eliminated as fast as possible. Their cable management is very efficient. My cable providers (connection prior to this) was such sh*te that it literally had a pigeon nesting on the switch and they did nothing about it. 

What's the rate on your 150Mbit line?

1000 per month costing 12000 for year but I had sh*t pings for us servers. 

Also we already have jio and people are just loving it though the speeds drops drastically 

Who is the contact point in Borivali dahisar for airtel? 

Edited by DinJo

11 minutes ago, DinJo said:

Who is the contact point in Borivali dahisar for airtel? 

I have my Dahisar's point of contact. Let me check if he covers Borivali too and drop you his number. 

Edited by Ethan_Hunt

On 1/30/2021 at 6:29 PM, Snake said:

Snakey bro what happened further? 

Just caught this amidst the notifications clutter. Getting permission from your society is a bitch. One tip to reduce their rebuttals, ask the Airtel guys to draw the fiber main line arial like cablewallahs to your terrace. They will then drill one hole down to the topmost floor duct and start setting terminals in each floor duct. This is wayyy better than the ground digging route at which most societies frown even if airtel do the relaying of the dug up. 

I know this because my a$$hole committee was strongly against arial just so that the larger complex federation would ultimately deny the only other option of digging. They just wanted to not let anyone get fiber at any cost. 

Also what part of Mumbai you are currently? Sorry I've forgotten over the years. I can get you the number of the top boss of the Mumbai fiber team. Super awesome and cooperative guy. I pestered him for my connection and he actually came through as promised. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

Just caught this amidst the notifications clutter. Getting permission from your society is a bitch. One tip to reduce their rebuttals, ask the Airtel guys to draw the fiber main line arial like cablewallahs to your terrace. They will then drill one hole down to the topmost floor duct and start setting terminals in each floor duct. This is wayyy better than the ground digging route at which most societies frown even if airtel do the relaying of the dug up. 

I know this because my a$$hole committee was strongly against arial just so that the larger complex federation would ultimately deny the only other option of digging. They just wanted to not let anyone get fiber at any cost. 

Also what part of Mumbai you are currently? Sorry I've forgotten over the years. I can get you the number of the top boss of the Mumbai fiber team. Super awesome and cooperative guy. I pestered him for my connection and he actually came through as promised. 

Bro we already have pipes going from the terrace to the ground floor. for tatsky and stuff. Issue is my ahole society manager and committee who just don't give a fk and be like ' rehne do..kya zaroorat hai iska sab '.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

Bro we already have pipes going from the terrace to the ground floor. for tatsky and stuff. Issue is my ahole society manager and committee who just don't give a fk and be like ' rehne do..kya zaroorat hai iska sab '.

Wow sounds like every other society lol XD

Good that my dad is the Ekmev secretary so we get to do whatever the fook we want :roflroll:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Lol tell me about ahole society dimwits.

If they continue to act like jerks, tell them you'll go to the court for "deliberate obstruction of constitutional right of internet" :lol:

That's exactly what I said along with a verbal declaration that I won't be paying maintenance bills until the matter is decided by the court. Doosre din they called the Airtel guy, had the stamped and signed approval ready and gave it to him :rofl:

Reason why I had them by the balls? The Chairman of the society does not even reside in the complex. Sold off his flat and moved out years ago :gunsmilie:

How viable is it to do this?

Also a further question, can’t they setup a single fibre hub and then send individual line to people’s home using the existing coaxial/cat 5 cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, adity said:

Nope. Signal degradation kicks in and the speeds drop. That's how they're already doing it anyways. It has to be fibre to the home to get the high speeds. 

You don't have fiber terminating at your home kya? If airtel there should be an ONT where the white fiber terminates and a yellow one that goes into the Airtel modem from it.

4 minutes ago, adity said:

No I meant that's what they're doing before FTTH. Basically fibre to a terminal and the copper cables to home. That causes too much signal degradation. 

Oh Haan lol yes freaking yes that VDSL :lol:

I was stuck on it for years. Whenever I called/emailed them requesting fiber they would say "But saar you already have fiber in your complex" :rofl:

It's like even the field engineers also believed fiber till the duct and then last mile connectivity over copper means Fiber. The actual fiber setup and maintenance team is completely different now. So never trust anything the copper engineers say. That's what I learnt eventually.