Which Internet Connection is everyone using ?

Xeno

Guys, any idea where I can buy fiber cable in bulk? The one they use in ftth connections?

There is renovation work going on in my home in which we are concealing the wirings. Have bought cat cable in bulk to route the wire from router to outside the house. Thinking of routing the fiber wire as well in case I get a fiber connection in the future.

I tried searching on Amazon but could not find anything. Also what is the name of the fiber cable used by these guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

Guys, any idea where I can buy fiber cable in bulk? The one they use in ftth connections?

There is renovation work going on in my home in which we are concealing the wirings. Have bought cat cable in bulk to route the wire from router to outside the house. Thinking of routing the fiber wire as well in case I get a fiber connection in the future.

I tried searching on Amazon but could not find anything. Also what is the name of the fiber cable used by these guys?

Even if you do, how will the eventual fiber isp provider connect to your existing fiber? Not to mention the moment you add such stuff any issues speed/ping would immediately be blamed on your Customer Premise Equipment (know this professionally) 

Better run a nice Cat7 Amazon basics cable internally across the home. Then terminate it near a router which you will eventually use as as access point. Sasta sundar aur tikau.

Even if you do, how will the eventual fiber isp provider connect to your existing fiber? Not to mention the moment you add such stuff any issues speed/ping would immediately be blamed on your Customer Premise Equipment (know this professionally) 

Better run a nice Cat7 Amazon basics cable internally across the home. Then terminate it near a router which you will eventually use as as access point. Sasta sundar aur tikau.

I am assuming they will have a terminal on the roof where they start the connection from?

I am going to route the entire home with the cat cable and have all of them terminate at the router location. From the router one cat cable (wan cable) and one fiber cable going to the duct outside the flat and from that duct the wire will reach the terminal on the roof.

If I don’t do this how will I conceal the fiber cable in the false ceiling? Don’t want the fiber cable coming inside the house to hang from the roof.

5 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

I am assuming they will have a terminal on the roof where they start the connection from?

I am going to route the entire home with the cat cable and have all of them terminate at the router location. From the router one cat cable (wan cable) and one fiber cable going to the duct outside the flat and from that duct the wire will reach the terminal on the roof.

If I don’t do this how will I conceal the fiber cable in the false ceiling? Don’t want the fiber cable coming inside the house to hang from the roof.

Plan Accha hai but ISP will Defo not like it. Even if you convince them somehow you'll always have to live under the fear that if something goes south, YOU will be blamed for it. Don't give them that chance. Not worth it. The terrace is where the main thic fiber comes. From there it goes to every floor's duct where it splits. Very very unlikely any ISP will want to split the fiber inside your home and forego future expansion for other members on the same floor. Once split the white thin fiber cable runs into each home where it eventually terminates into an ONT that connects to the ISP router. 

Bolded part : Airtel Fiber guys are damn smart. They use a thin thread to draw the fiber off the intercom line coming into the house. So your concealing effort will just need to be from the intercom placement to the Airtel Fiber ONT. 

Edited by Jigsaw
Update

Today is probably the last straw...The cablewala has been turning off the internet at around 3am for the last week or so. only starts after 7am. everytime I can him he says cable is cut and today again no internet for the last 2 hours and he ain't picking up the phone.

He dun goofed up.

15 minutes ago, adity said:

It was similar in my case. At that time, airtel didn't have fiber and I didn't wanna go with Jio because I really don't wanna support it but these cable guys had a really cavalier attitude where they'd just turn off the phone if there was a problem which is especially unacceptable during the lockdown where everything comes to a halt if internet is affected. 

Honestly don't know how they afford to be so careless when big ISPs are posed to wipe them out. 

I tried to be patient and accommodating with these guys and done so for quite some time. But I'm hoping not they get rekt.

16 minutes ago, Snake said:

I tried to be patient and accommodating with these guys and done so for quite some time. But I'm hoping not they get rekt.

Here airtel and Jio are fighting tooth and nail for customers. I get calls all the time from Jio to sign up for a trial. They wont stop even when I tell them I am on airtel already. 

Has your society committee budged? Unless they agree how will airtel or Jio get entry? 

48 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

Here airtel and Jio are fighting tooth and nail for customers. I get calls all the time from Jio to sign up for a trial. They wont stop even when I tell them I am on airtel already. 

Has your society committee budged? Unless they agree how will airtel or Jio get entry? 

They have asked me for a few more days.

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

They have asked me for a few more days.

Be on them. My society manager secretly sat on the approval request for more than 1.5 years before I caught their bluff and escalated. These aholes get some weird sadistic pleasure out of such petty things. 

When I escalated in a private meeting, I was conviniently given a reason that in Q3 2018 there were a lot of religious festivities coming up so she didn't want to bother the committee members with additional burden. That's when I learnt 33 crore gods in Hindu religion don't like Airtel Fiber installation from Ganesh Chathurthi right uptil end of diwali. 

15 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

Be on them. My society manager secretly sat on the approval request for more than 1.5 years before I caught their bluff and escalated. These aholes get some weird sadistic pleasure out of such petty things. 

When I escalated in a private meeting, I was conviniently given a reason that in Q3 2018 there were a lot of religious festivities coming up so she didn't want to bother the committee members with additional burden. That's when I learnt 33 crore gods in Hindu religion don't like Airtel Fiber installation from Ganesh Chathurthi right uptil end of diwali. 

I'm getting told there's repair work coming up.

Just now, Snake said:

I'm getting told there's repair work coming up.

Churan hai saalo ka to stall. Same as mine. Religious festivities. 

Man these societies have gone from cooperative to "You can own a house worth crores but WE decide how you live your life" 

I was asked why do i order so much on swiggy/zomato? Because corona danger to the security guards. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I have a weird problem, I am on Jio Fiber 300mbps plan and get full 300mbps on Steam downloads and while checking speed on fast.com or speedtest.net I get 290-300mbps as well. But on other clients like Battle.net and TestMy.Net I only get maximum 50-55mbps only.

Can someone on Jio fiber please confirm if they are also getting throttled on Battle.net or is there some problem with my connection?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Rey said:

Guys, I have a weird problem, I am on Jio Fiber 300mbps plan and get full 300mbps on Steam downloads and while checking speed on fast.com or speedtest.net I get 290-300mbps as well. But on other clients like Battle.net and TestMy.Net I only get maximum 50-55mbps only.

Can someone on Jio fiber please confirm if they are also getting throttled on Battle.net or is there some problem with my connection?

Thanks.

Testmy is giving me around 300 mbps on a 500 mbps connection. Jiofiber, Noida. 

Testmy is giving me around 300 mbps on a 500 mbps connection. Jiofiber, Noida. 
MY system is wired to the Jio router with CAT6 cable, still testmy and clients other than Steam are getting capped at 55mbps.
Also I never get more than 50mbps on 5GHz band even while standing next to the Jio router. I guess there's something wrong with my settings?

19 minutes ago, Rey said:

MY system is wired to the Jio router with CAT6 cable, still testmy and clients other than Steam are getting capped at 55mbps.
Also I never get more than 50mbps on 5GHz band even while standing next to the Jio router. I guess there's something wrong with my settings?

Can't comment. I'm testing on the 5ghz band, and when near the router, hit 400-450 Mbps easily. Pretty sure speeds would be better over Ethernet. 

Will test a bit later and inform. 

27 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Can't comment. I'm testing on the 5ghz band, and when near the router, hit 400-450 Mbps easily. Pretty sure speeds would be better over Ethernet. 

Will test a bit later and inform. 

Thanks. Already spent past 3-4 days researching on this but to no avail.

You definitely have international bandwidth routing issue , in speedtest change the server to same location where battle net servers are located and then run speedtest.

It should give you same slow speeds and you probably have to chase your ISP though keep in mind these issues are difficult to convince that to resolve.