Which Internet Connection is everyone using ?

Xeno

23 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Switched to Airtel a month ago. I've had some bumps. The landline never works (light on router also shows as off).

If i lodge a complaint they will fix it for that day and then next day it will go off again. Happened 4 times. I have got fed up of complaining again and again. 

Also they never send people to home to service because they say are getting harassed by local internet goons. But have no problem sending for new connection request lol. 

Escalate it. Try twitter. Then the airtel presence email ID. If both don't work, complain to your nearest nodal officer. 

I'm gonna have to report that I'm pretty happy with my Airtel xtream connection. About 2 months in and 0 downtime so far. They are over delivering in terms of promised speed as well. I am getting around 230-240 mbps up and down on a 200 mbps plan.

4 minutes ago, Nikushimi said:

I'm gonna have to report that I'm pretty happy with my Airtel xtream connection. About 2 months in and 0 downtime so far. They are over delivering in terms of promised speed as well. I am getting around 230-240 mbps up and down on a 200 mbps plan.

Every fiber over-provisions except Jio. Jiofiber under-provisions by 10%. :rofl:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

How much speed do you guys get on Airtel 2.4ghz? I'm getting only ~20 mbps.

On 5Ghz I'm getting the full 100 mbps. I know 2.4 will give less speed but I feel I'm getting way too less :scratchchin:  

I recently shifted to Airtel and i get around 70 at 2.4GHz & 120 at 5GHz.

I've connected all my devices at 5GHz itself because of this. Should i be changing some to 2.4?

For me another issue is some devices aren't able to detect my Airtel 5ghz channel.. for example my Fire TV only detects the 2.4ghz. I'm using the Airtel router. 

My earlier internet before airtel was detecting fine.. no such issues 

Edited by dylanjosh

16 minutes ago, blitzkreiig said:

I recently shifted to Airtel and i get around 70 at 2.4GHz & 120 at 5GHz.

I've connected all my devices at 5GHz itself because of this. Should i be changing some to 2.4?

Shift far away devices to 2.4ghz and especially those which don't need that extra 50Mbps. Keep your 5ghz as lean as possible and only for high bandwidth devices.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

For me another issue is some devices aren't able to detect my Airtel 5ghz channel.. for example my Fire TV only detects the 2.4ghz. I'm using the Airtel router. 

My earlier internet before airtel was detecting fine.. no such issues 

Go into the router settings and change channels for the 5ghz. Generally with it set to Auto, you shouldn't have this problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I figured out a big thing today - 

So my main router 2.4ghz gives really low speeds like 10-20 mbps but 5ghz is fine (100+). 

I'm using an extender for my bedroom since the router is in my living room and there are too many walls between router and bedroom which doesnt give me wifi signal there. This extender specifially

But the extender was always giving me really low speeds. Like 5-10mbps. Some days 1-2mbps. Some days I would get 15~20 mbps and that would be a considered a good day.

I figured this was because my main router 2.4ghz speeds are really low so I tried to disable it in settings. But it didn't matter if I disabled the extender 2.4ghz line or the 5ghz line. Or if I used "high speed mode" in the settings. It would be give me depressengly low speeds. For months I just resigned myself to the low speeds, thinking thats just how it works. 

Today for unrelated reasons I had to do a factory reset of the extender. So I had to do initial setup again. When doing that it asks me to connect to the main router 2.4ghz network and the 5ghz network. I decided on a whim to skip the 2.4ghz step and only connect the 5ghz line.

And after that setup finished and I checked - I'm getting 50mbps speed now on my extender :O

WTF. I've concluded that my extender was always using my 2.4ghz network from my router even when I had disabled that in settings. Its only after doing factory reset, wiping everything and specifically refusing to give the 2.4ghz password that it decided to switch to 5ghz line.  

TLDR: Accidently figured out how to increase speed on my wifi extender 

Edited by dylanjosh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Need some help here. I upgraded my speed from 100 to 200 mbps. But apparently the ONT router that i was given by Airtel is not compatible with this speed. They said to buy new router and use that. 

I have a router I bought few years ago I can use (archer c50) instead but that doesnt support fiber I think. I searched on the internet and there's no proper instructions for this. 

So apparently I have to keep the ONT router and use it as a bridge to the c50 router....  is that right? Anyone have an idea? 

You guys don't get NAT type strict in Airtel? 

What is happening-

All of a sudden NAT goes from open to strict. (Nothing changed at my end)

Airtel CC has no idea what NAT is.

Airtel tech comes to my house and gives me a modem and it goes back to open.

After 1.5/2 months it is back to strict.

They have replaced 4 modems. 

It is like they change or upgrade the settings at backhand. I am so frustrated.

9 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Need some help here. I upgraded my speed from 100 to 200 mbps. But apparently the ONT router that i was given by Airtel is not compatible with this speed. They said to buy new router and use that. 

I have a router I bought few years ago I can use (archer c50) instead but that doesnt support fiber I think. I searched on the internet and there's no proper instructions for this. 

So apparently I have to keep the ONT router and use it as a bridge to the c50 router....  is that right? Anyone have an idea? 

Yup, you might need to involve Airtel CC to help with the setting up bridge mode on your old router. I've heard they change something at the backend.

42 minutes ago, kaka_messi said:

You guys don't get NAT type strict in Airtel? 

What is happening-

All of a sudden NAT goes from open to strict. (Nothing changed at my end)

Airtel CC has no idea what NAT is.

Airtel tech comes to my house and gives me a modem and it goes back to open.

After 1.5/2 months it is back to strict.

They have replaced 4 modems. 

It is like they change or upgrade the settings at backhand. I am so frustrated.

Nope, never had this issue. NAT has stayed Type 2 since installation. I have the white ZTE router provided by Airtel.

Edited by Nikushimi

1 hour ago, Nikushimi said:

Yup, you might need to involve Airtel CC to help with the setting up bridge mode on your old router. I've heard they change something at the backend.

Nope, never had this issue. NAT has stayed Type 2 since installation. I have the white ZTE router provided by Airtel.

I have the same router and it is not like the problem happens from the day 1 but after a month or so. 

It has to do with airtel backhand. If it would have been at my end or the hardware, then I would have faced this issue from day 1.

• 3 months later...

Guys, for fibre connection does anyone have experience with tata play? i have option to choose between tata play and airtel. Currently using you broadband since last eternity (more than a decade) lol.

Any feedback on both these connections would be great.

And how is the router provided by these companies? i already bought the asus RT-AX82U so don't really need it, but they would be providing it anyway.

Cheers.

On 5/21/2022 at 10:12 AM, StormShadow said:

Guys, for fibre connection does anyone have experience with tata play? i have option to choose between tata play and airtel. Currently using you broadband since last eternity (more than a decade) lol.

And how is the router provided by these companies? i already bought the asus RT-AX82U so don't really need it, but they would be providing it anyway.

Cheers.

Tata play is superb. I switched from airtel to Tata play after frustrating experience and haven't experienced any downtime at all since 9 months or so. Airtel went down almost monthly. Both provide almost similar customised router, but Tata play one had more options enabled. Almost everyone in my region have switched to Tata play.

• Thanks 1

Someone fromJio came around today, said our building is being wired for . 

Prices are great, but reliance ain’t getting my business 

On 5/21/2022 at 10:12 AM, StormShadow said:

Cheers.

Pretty good experience with airtel so far. They've been flawless in terms of uptime except for a 15 minute downtime that occurred once in the last 6 months since I stared using them. They are also over delivering in terms of promised bandwidth. I am getting 10-20% faster speeds than advertised. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Just forget online gaming if you ever go for Jio. Terrible service. 

Heard bad things about Jio fiber on reddit, long ago @Bird Bird Bird used to say they are good and all( even in terms of pings or NAT etc ) but now idk.