Xeno

Which Internet Connection is everyone using ?

Guys, I'm experiencing this strange behaviour on my internet connection.

I'm on the 150Mbps Act connection. And speedtests are all showing right numbers. But when I'm streaming netflix I rarely get 2160p (UHD) and this for streaming services in general, anything but Youtube.

I was reading that ISPs, cache Youtube so you don't see much drops there but other services are throttled ?

Anyone with similar experience ? Did you try to get a VPN and see if it fixes the throttling ?

5 minutes ago, kunallkw said:

Guys, I'm experiencing this strange behaviour on my internet connection.

I'm on the 150Mbps Act connection. And speedtests are all showing right numbers. But when I'm streaming netflix I rarely get 2160p (UHD) and this for streaming services in general, anything but Youtube.

I was reading that ISPs, cache Youtube so you don't see much drops there but other services are throttled ?

Anyone with similar experience ? Did you try to get a VPN and see if it fixes the throttling ?

Check speed on fast.com. It runs speed test on netflix servers.

Also, go in netflix account settings and enable maximum quality.

They have very clearly mentioned that 1st phase is all about housing societies that is apartments and row houses and small businesses. 15th August onwards its open for registration. The more registration from a single location the better the chance of getting a connection. Ambani himself said make shre you register and your neighbors too. 
It should be intresting to see how they roll out the connection. A lot of places have nexus where you cannot take any other connection because the presence of a single player. Heck in Mumbai itself at my old place Joister guy did not provide me a connection because I was already using a local cable connection and he said it would make the local guy upset and he did not want that so he flatly refused to give connection to my house eventhough others in my building had it. This kind of stuff is prevelent with a lot of isp.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

It should be intresting to see how they roll out the connection. A lot of places have nexus where you cannot take any other connection because the presence of a single player. Heck in Mumbai itself at my old place Joister guy did not provide me a connection because I was already using a local cable connection and he said it would make the local guy upset and he did not want that so he flatly refused to give connection to my house eventhough others in my building had it. This kind of stuff is prevelent with a lot of isp.

Yeah big companies don't give a f**k. Our building has something like that but airtel provides connections regardless. 

And to say that reliance has a lot of power would be an understatement. I'd be quite happy to see cable ISPs and airtel taking the proverbial beating from Jio. It'll be glorious. Airtel is so overpriced, man. High time someone reined them in.

20 hours ago, adity said:

Check speed on fast.com. It runs speed test on netflix servers.

Also, go in netflix account settings and enable maximum quality.

Here's the result, how would you rate this considering my ISP is claiming 150mbps

Also enabled the max quality at account level, still starts with 480p and then gradually goes to 2160p. Other video streaming players are worse Openload for example.

eXucYVR.png

What exactly am I looking for here ? It timed out in the last few attempts 25-30 and pings were above 200ms, once my ISP crosses SG (Google dns)

20 hours ago, HEMAN said:

^tracert www.netflix.com and see hows the routing. 

6 minutes ago, kunallkw said:

Here's the result, how would you rate this considering my ISP is claiming 150mbps

Also enabled the max quality at account level, still starts with 480p and then gradually goes to 2160p. Other video streaming players are worse Openload for example.

eXucYVR.png

I think starting with 480p and going to 2160p is normal. Happens to me as well sometimes. But only takes a couple of seconds. How much tune does it take for you? Search for test patterns in the catalog and run it to see how long it's taking for you to get to 2160p

23 minutes ago, kunallkw said:

eXucYVR.png

What exactly am I looking for here ? It timed out in the last few attempts 25-30 and pings were above 200ms, once my ISP crosses SG (Google dns)

25-30 attempts and timed out that's the problem. Call Cc and tell them your tracert problem. Openload has started giving shitty speeds for months now.

Edited by HEMAN

1 hour ago, HEMAN said:

25-30 attempts and timed out that's the problem. Call Cc and tell them your tracert problem. Openload has started giving shitty speeds for months now.

I don't think tracert to Netflix.com is accurate. Videos are probably fetched from some cdn server. I think tracert to fast.com would be a better idea. 

Upgraded from old 30 mbps for 1300 rs a month to 50 mbps for 943 rs a month.

Jaipur has internet cheaper than Mumbai. That's really impressive.
I think only Mumbai is the only major city still lacking with a city wide fast & cheap internet service. I see act and others totally changing the broadband definition in hyderabad, Banglore etc with 1gbps connections while we are still stuck with 2-30 mbps with 50-100 mbps plans being extremely expensive.

Really hoping for jio fiber to massively drop internet prices like it did with the phone bills.

So I noticed something weird. 

I'm on a Jio Gigafiber connection for more than a year. Used to get 95-100 mbps across almost all sites, including the "debrid" group of sites (real debrid, premiumize, alldebrid, zigbz etc). 

For the past 2 weeks or so, speed to all those sites has dropped down to 20 mbps or less. When I do a speedtest, any server within India gives a speed of 100 mbps, but outside India falls to 10-20 mbps. I tried downloading through multiple sources, including legit torrents, and I am not getting anything over 20 mbps. 

Fast.com (Netflix) shows 95 mbps speeds, possibly due to their local CDNs. 

I also have an Airtel BB connection, limited to 40 mbps. All those sites easily hit the full speed on Airtel without breaking a sweat, so the problem seems to be Jio. 

I did a tracert via both Airtel and Jio to a couple of websites I download from. Airtel got their in 6 hops, and Jio took 12. 

Now looking for options as to how to get Jio to look into this. Their CC is useless, and as long as the speedtest shows 100 mbps on local servers, they will not do anything. I had a word with them and it was akin to hitting your head against the wall.