Which Internet Connection is everyone using ?

Xeno

1 minute ago, SkinTightTuna said:

I believe excitel did that

I have been paying 555 incl gst for 300mbps 3.3TB per month

How is that going?

I have been on ACT, it works well, hardly drops but for gaming Airtel was better.

Any sites where excitel throttles and what about gaming performance?

6 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

How is that going?

I have been on ACT, it works well, hardly drops but for gaming Airtel was better.

Any sites where excitel throttles and what about gaming performance?

Have been using excitel since may 2016. Downtime is hardly any once i was moved to fibre in 2018. For gaming ping is just average

Edited by SkinTightTuna

6 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

Guys please reccomend  a good wifi extender which is easy to setup and effective when it comes to boosting wifi signal range.

Just remember that using an extender will cut your speed in half. I wouldn't recommend it. See if you can drag an CAT5/6 cable to your secondary location and connect it to an old router in AP (access point) mode.

3 hours ago, Keyofx said:

Just remember that using an extender will cut your speed in half. I wouldn't recommend it. See if you can drag an CAT5/6 cable to your secondary location and connect it to an old router in AP (access point) mode.

Half is being optimistic. It reduces speed to 10%. 

My normal speed is 50-70mbps. 

Extender gives me 5-7mbps. 

Sometimes only give me <1mbps. I don't know if it's the extender problem or what. 

Edited by dylanjosh

3 hours ago, Keyofx said:

I have 1gbps connection. So half is still not bad 

11 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Half is being optimistic. It reduces speed to 10%. 

My normal speed is 50-70mbps. 

Extender gives me 5-7mbps. 

Sometimes only give me <1mbps. I don't know if it's the extender problem or what. 

You are certainly not doing it correctly i have a old router which i use as access points and i easily get 20 Mbps on it which is half of 2.4 Ghz of 40 Mbps.

11 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

Lol keep dreaming 

17 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

I was in the market for an extender too few months ago, but decided to buy the Deco mesh setup instead and I am thoroughly impressed. For starters, I dont have to change the SSID when in the extender range. Its one seamless network. For speeds, it depends on the location and the hurdles in between.

I get the following reductions in speed on the extender unit:

- 85% reduction when about 10 meters apart with 2 concrete and 1 brick wall separating the wired and the extender unit.

-  60% reduction when about 5 meters apart with 1 concrete and 1 brick wall in between.

of course, if I would use the ethernet backhaul feature of the mesh, both units will work as main modems giving same speed. 

All in all, highly recommended to get a mesh setup instead of an extender.

2 hours ago, WhatsInTheName said:

I was in the market for an extender too few months ago, but decided to buy the Deco mesh setup instead and I am thoroughly impressed. For starters, I dont have to change the SSID when in the extender range. Its one seamless network. For speeds, it depends on the location and the hurdles in between.

I get the following reductions in speed on the extender unit:

- 85% reduction when about 10 meters apart with 2 concrete and 1 brick wall separating the wired and the extender unit.

-  60% reduction when about 5 meters apart with 1 concrete and 1 brick wall in between.

of course, if I would use the ethernet backhaul feature of the mesh, both units will work as main modems giving same speed. 

All in all, highly recommended to get a mesh setup instead of an extender.

Deco is a good option for starting out with mesh network but it doesn't have a separate band for communication just between the units and that's why such speed reduction is experienced.

High end solutions uses a separate band and you can expect 70% of the speed to be available throughout. Expensive though.

20 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Deco is a good option for starting out with mesh network but it doesn't have a separate band for communication just between the units and that's why such speed reduction is experienced.

High end solutions uses a separate band and you can expect 70% of the speed to be available throughout. Expensive though.

I went with the cheapest available option :bigyellowgrin:

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Calling all IT guys to help your fellow commerce grad :thumbsup:

Not sure if we have a home networking thread, so posting my question here:

I am planning to connect my router (near the front of the house) to my devices at the back of the house via an ethernet cable. Not allowed to do cabling inside the house so looking for a sturdy cable that can withstand the elements outside. 

• Cat5e or cat6 should be fine right? What shielding should it have (STP/EMF?)
  • Distance should be around 100 feet so above cables should be fine
  • My internet speed is 100 Mbps, though I will upgrade to 1 Gbps in a year or so, I use JIo Fiber
  • I think I will also need an unmanaged switch right? Any recommendations for that? Plan to connect about 4/5 wired devices from it with space for mor

Thanks my dudes

• 1 month later...

Airtel reviews guys. Yaay or nay?

Using Railwire as my main line with Joister as backup. Railwire is pretty stable mostly with downtime for a day or 2 per month at most, while Joister is a piece of crap with downtimes nearly every week for at least 2 days. Joister contract is running out next month so thinking of switching to Airtel. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Airtel is amazing. But only get if fibre is available. 

The copper speeds are very meh. 

Service is amazing, none of the CGNAT bullshit, great for gaming with open NAT, minimal down times and if there are any, resolution within couple of hours. 

I am Airtel, on Playstation I get Type 2 NAT. Do you get same or should I be getting type 1?

3 hours ago, Walker said:

Airtel reviews guys. Yaay or nay?

Hells to the yeah! If you have the option go for it. Their plans and data caps are very competitive now. I still remember paying 1.1K for a 1Mbit line 10 years back and look at it now. 1k would fetch you a 200Mbit line with 3.3TB cap. Pings are great, connection is very stable and even if there are downtimes, it's barely there for a couple of minutes. Their customer support is really good and responsive. 

I've already paid for 6 months upfront. 

• Thanks 1