The Old Cricket Thread

vinitwins

WC T20  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

HotSpot absent as Kohli lbw puzzles India

Oh god! The comments section is hilarious! The gap in communication is insane! :rofl:

I still have a problem with Kettleborough's decision! The fact that he makes no mention of "ultra-edge" when he said "there is no conclusive evidence to confirm it's bat first" proves that he does not understand how ultra-edge works! :rofl: I would've forgiven him if he atleast said "ultra-edge was inconclusive".

I have a background in research which has taught me that no system (process, software, etc.) is perfect. So when i look at an ultra-edge graph like the one in Kohli's case, i immediately fall on the side of caution. And i can't help it. It's instinctive and more often than not i cannot immediately articulate what i feel is wrong. But the feeling sticks with me nonetheless. I believe that in a rare edge-case such as Kohli's, the thicker (very possibly the longest as well, if not for the small y-axis) spike in the ultra-edge falls within an acceptable margin of error (considering the presence of a single spike before the thickest spike and the proximity of the thickest spike to the same) to overturn the on-field umpire's original decision. I really wish ICC would improve the technology. To start with they could increase the size of the y-axis and include margin-of-error indicators on the present ultra-edge graph. This would significantly help improve inferences when taking margin-of-error into consideration for rare edge-cases such as this where TV Umpires can write off the single spike as inconclusive (because it is a precursor) while the length of the thicker spike (and it's proximity to the inconclusive spike) is proof that the ball hit the bat first. BCCI should be wary that ECB can swing the size of the margin-of-error in their favor. I suspect ECB would've made up the margin-of-error only after they realized their mistake.

It's edge-cases like these that should convince ICC to use powerful high speed cameras capable of capturing footage at no less than a few thousands frames per second.

Edited by pixeljunkie

Aussies have to be the biggest bunch of cry babies in World Cricket.

Players, Commentators everyone.

They freaking sledge and abuse everyone, the moment they are gven back the same, they are crying.

Great presser from Kohli. Slayed the Aussies..

Ian Heally can shove his respect up his arse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKyTluaAAn4

• Like 1

Lol, this guy is funny, he shoukd hold back a bit. He is like two kids fighting in school and want a return jab at any cost, sometimes at his own cost.

He shoukd act a bit more sensible, atleast Healey part was best left alone, it will just make him lose focus.

Anyway all this is a given with ind and Aus, lets see what ranchi does.

@@AtheK Don't forget that Aussie's are the one who popularized sledging in cricket at the international level. They do mete out severe punishment if one their own oversteps. But it doesn't change the fact that they popularized sledging. And because of this their track record speaks for itself. Personally, it was unnecessary on Kohli's part to point a finger at Australia. And i feel this way not because i think that Kohli should be the better man but because i'm tired of this new trend. It's gotten to a point that it sickens me everytime a non-caucasian cricketer defends themselves from Australian critics by citing examples from the latter's sullied history. I find it very surprising that Australia themselves aren't sick of this by now. Don't get me wrong. I'm perfectly fine with sledging because i know that i can be quite nasty myself. That said, i can't fault Kohli's behaviour either. But if the Australians are really sincere about their criticisms then they should be the ones to put their foot down by outlawing sledging at the national and international level altogether.

Edited by pixeljunkie

Ian Heally can shove his respect up his arse.

:doh:

Another communication gap. Both yourself and Kohli have this in common. I don't think Healy meant to be rude. Aussie's are always crystal clear when they dislike someone. This was not one of those times. Healy was most likely saddened by Kohli's behaviour.

Edited by pixeljunkie

• AtheK changed the title to The Old Cricket Thread
  • AtheK locked this topic