The Old Cricket Thread

vinitwins

WC T20  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kudos to the organizers, to get the entire tournament done without one single positive case. It was tough for players being in bubble, but the governance was rock solid and showed that such complex series can be still pulled off.

Looking forward to welcome back IPL to india next year.

On 11/9/2020 at 12:01 AM, harsh1387 said:

Lol.. another prediction.. yeah, why not... DC is just playing to hand MI the trophy.. do see it's not the MI who chokes in the end emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

And you were saying? :console:  This did not age well at all. MI did what i predicted. Choked the life out of Delhi in bowling and then just dominated in first 6 overs of chase to close the game. After that it was just a formality. 

And you were saying? :console:  This did not age well at all. MI did what i predicted. Choked the life out of Delhi in bowling and then just dominated in first 6 overs of chase to close the game. After that it was just a formality. 
Oh wow.. what a prediction man.. you actually predicted which none of us already knew..

Kidding apart.. MI were clear favourites from the start and they played like it. Won't blame DC much cos they tried as much they could with most players not contributing at crucial times. This experience will help them a lot in April next year. Rabada went out of form in last few matches, Shaw was a colossal failure and I am sure he will fail in Australia too. We need to open with Stoinis next year from the start and need a good middle order bat in place of Rahane.

Expecting a selection for Rohit in coming days. Test series won't be won, can try to win ODI and T20 atleast.

• Haha 1

Excerpts from an article regarding why Mumbai has been so dominant. One word - Scouts!

Spoiler

The roots of Mumbai's trade-off defying squad were in 2010, when the franchise had the foresight to establish a scouting network comprising six scouts, which would be led by the former India and Mumbai head coach John Wright from 2015. The network was astonishingly effective at identifying brilliant young talent. The biggest success story was the 19 year-old Jasprit Bumrah, plucked out of age-group cricket in Gujarat before becoming the world's best quick and the spearhead of Mumbai's pace attack.

The all-rounders Hardik and Krunal Pandya were also products of Mumbai's scouting and also would become the fulcrums of Mumbai's team. The Pandya brothers and Bumrah were the three headline recruits of a stellar list of players unearthed by the scouts. Mumbai could also credit identifying Yuzvendra Chahal, Mayank Markande, Rahul Chahar, Shreyas Gopal, Suryakumar Yadav, Kuldeep Yadav, Axar Patel and Nitish Rana to their network. This stellar group - all identified by Mumbai, though some later thrived for different franchises - were the dividend on Mumbai's scouting investment.

Just look at the quality of raw talent they unearth and then back them. That is why its always exciting to see which young talent they will find every other season.

5 minutes ago, TAZ said:

Yaayyy...!!!! Will be interesting to see which players are retained. I guess max limit is 5 ?!?! 3 Indian - 2 overseas... & RTM card is also there.. should be an exciting auction...

3 players including Indian and overseas, two RTM cards, so you can retain max 5.

ABD

YUZI

VK (Maybe) 

Saini

Padikkal

Should be RCB retainers. 

3 players including Indian and overseas, two RTM cards, so you can retain max 5.

ABD
YUZI
VK (Maybe) 
Saini
Padikkal

Should be RCB retainers. 
That criteria was for previous auction. Bcci still hasn't released what criteria will be there for mega auction. Whatever it is I am excited to see who all comes up for grabs..

If its 3 players then its gonna be a trouble for many teams :P But again new franchise also deserves a chance to grab the best players, So if its 3 players (Like previous mega auction, just checked) Then many big names will be up for grabs cos teams will focus on retaining Indian players as there's no substitute for them & as far as overseas is concerned there are many like for like options available. 

DC: Iyer - Dhawan - Pant

KXIP: KL- Mayank - Shami

RCB: Kohli - Abd - Chahal

CSK: Dhoni - Jadeja - Raina

MI: Rohit - Bumrah - Hardik

RR: Smith - Stokes - Sanju

KKR: Morgan - Gill - Russel/Narine

SRH: Warner - Manish - Rashid

These are the best retention options (I might have missed few :P& Imagine players like Gayle, Rabada, Saini, SKY, Ishan Kishan, Jofra & many more will come into the auction :dance: Obviously RTM cards will be used but prices will be lot higher just to cut down the remaining purse of other teams knowing they will use RTM :giggle:

2018 Mega Auction Rules: 

# The eight teams could retain a maximum of five players from their squad, out of which only three could be retained during the retention period. The teams could also use a maximum of three right-to-match cards at the auction (a maximum of two, if the franchise retained three players during the retention period). The other restrictions on player retention were: a maximum of three capped Indian players could be retained, and only two overseas players and two uncapped Indian players could be retained.

Edited by TAZ

• 2 weeks later...

So just couple of days before the tour starts. I think ODI-T20 will be very competitive. Tests without Kohli will be tough to win, But I am most excited for the test series (Anyone else ?!?!?) 

ODI: KL - Dhawan - Mayank - Virat - Iyer - Manish/Sanju - Hardik - Jadeja - Chahal - Bumrah - Shami , If hardik doesn't bowl then saini in place of Manish/sanju. 

14 minutes ago, TAZ said:

So just couple of days before the tour starts. I think ODI-T20 will be very competitive. Tests without Kohli will be tough to win, But I am most excited for the test series (Anyone else ?!?!?) 

ODI: KL - Dhawan - Mayank - Virat - Iyer - Manish/Sanju - Hardik - Jadeja - Chahal - Bumrah - Shami , If hardik doesn't bowl then saini in place of Manish/sanju. 

Test is the best format. It sucks that they would have Smith, Loosebuschange, Peak bowling attack and we wouldn't be having Kohli, Ishant Sharma. Battle would have been equal. Now I think Aussies have the upper hand. Would still be interesting to watch though. Waking up at 5 AM to watch Test Cricket is always exciting. Memories of 2004 Australian Summer tour is impossible to forget.

where in the first leg will be competitive, we will lose steam by the time test arrive. You have to understand these players have been on the road for almost 3 months now, and add another two months, with bio bubble, yeh bubble woh bubble. They will be faded and tired.

I hope they put up a fight, but i won't blame them too much even if they don't.

2 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

Test is the best format. It sucks that they would have Smith, Loosebuschange, Peak bowling attack and we wouldn't be having Kohli, Ishant Sharma. Battle would have been equal. Now I think Aussies have the upper hand. Would still be interesting to watch though. Waking up at 5 AM to watch Test Cricket is always exciting. Memories of 2004 Australian Summer tour is impossible to forget.

Exactly.. Every 90's kid loves test cricket. But still I believe our boys will do it. Mayank-rahane-pujara will be good enough to cover for Kohli ( I hope :P )

Edited by TAZ

31 minutes ago, TAZ said:

Exactly.. Every 90's kid loves test cricket. But still I believe our boys will do it. Mayank-rahane-pujara will be good enough to cover for Kohli ( I hope :P )

Can watch Pujara bat for a complete session. Way more fun than 6 Super Overs in a fixed IPL match.

Puji just need to be a bit careful early on. For someone who is supposed to be a replacement of Dravid, he gets out bowled through the gate far too often to inswinging balls. He's a tad lazy early on. If he gets past 20 mins then he's there for hours. 

• AtheK changed the title to The Old Cricket Thread
  • AtheK locked this topic