The "Good" and The "Bad" News Thread :) :(

SchizoidFreud

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Ph3N0M said:

Good news. My first research paper got accepted for publication. It has been almost 12 years since I decided that I want/need to be a mathematician for my career, so this news brought back a lot of memories of dreams and disappointments, and good to finally enjoy this moment. 

Being a fellow maths student, congrats bro!!!

Good job, quite a milestone.

Can you share the link or a draft copy of it? Really curious.

Happy to find a comrade here.

6 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Being a fellow maths student, congrats bro!!!

Good job, quite a milestone.

Can you share the link or a draft copy of it? Really curious.

Happy to find a comrade here.

Thanks, where do you study and at what level? Are you interested in pursuing mathematics further after that? Here is a preprint version of the paper that got accepted (which will actually have slightly more material than the published version for some reason):

https://arxiv.org/abs/1901.10507

Edited by Ph3N0M
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ph3N0M said:

Thanks, where do you study and at what level? Are you interested in pursuing mathematics further after that? Here is a preprint version of the paper that got accepted (which will actually have slightly more material than the published version for some reason):

https://arxiv.org/abs/1901.10507

I am from IITD, Mathematics and Computing, dual degree. Seeing the research paper, I assume you come from more of a pure mathematics background. I am more applied and computational. 

I do intend to study further, probably will apply for MS in Economics/Finance a year or two down the line.

Also, I never get tired of seeing the size of Math research papers ?

Preprints are edited a lot after peer-review so that's common.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

I am from IITD, Mathematics and Computing, dual degree. Seeing the research paper, I assume you come from more of a pure mathematics background. I am more applied and computational. 

I do intend to study further, probably will apply for MS in Economics/Finance a year or two down the line.

Also, I never get tired of seeing the size of Math research papers ?

Preprints are edited a lot after peer-review so that's common.

Yes, I mostly do pure mathematics, but have recently realized that some applied mathematics is also very pure at the highest levels (for instance, I've recently started to dive into some mathematical economics, and what I am interested in there is all completely theoretical). I almost never see actual numbers in my work. 

I would ideally edit the preprint to match the content of the published version, but there is an introductory section that the journal does not want because their readers will all be familiar with that part, which is why the preprint in this case is actually better (as it will have everything that the final version will have once I finalize the final version, plus it'll have some more background needed to reach a bigger audience). 

Good luck with your degree!

18 minutes ago, Ph3N0M said:

Yes, I mostly do pure mathematics, but have recently realized that some applied mathematics is also very pure at the highest levels (for instance, I've recently started to dive into some mathematical economics, and what I am interested in there is all completely theoretical). I almost never see actual numbers in my work. 

I would ideally edit the preprint to match the content of the published version, but there is an introductory section that the journal does not want because their readers will all be familiar with that part, which is why the preprint in this case is actually better (as it will have everything that the final version will have once I finalize the final version, plus it'll have some more background needed to reach a bigger audience). 

Good luck with your degree!

Definitely. I have been working on Quantum Computation and my master thesis will be based on dynamic macroeconomic models, those sound as if they are majorly computational but are purely mathematical with a bit of computation mixed in. I hope to get a quality research paper out of them.

Good luck with future work!

3 hours ago, DinJo said:

Who ever thought that guy with Chris Jericho as it's avatar could be good mathematican 

It's AJ Styles, damnit! :P 

2 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Wow bro congrats. People who deal with research papers and all alway seem like "bade log" to me :P  

Thanks man. I'm just an "aam aadmi" who goofs around on a gaming forum despite not having played any games in a long time. :P  

4 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Really? Thats a weird hairstyle. Maybe from NJPW times?

His WWE debut look was the best, back in RR 16 or 17, whenever that was.

Yeah, just before his NJPW run started, though he had essentially similar hairstyle when he began in NJPW as well. This picture must be from late 2013 in TNA when he started his darker character, which pretty much is the foundation of his current wrestling style that mixes high-flying and submission.

On 10/13/2020 at 8:58 PM, Ph3N0M said:

Good news. My first research paper got accepted for publication. It has been almost 12 years since I decided that I want/need to be a mathematician for my career, so this news brought back a lot of memories of dreams and disappointments, and good to finally enjoy this moment. 

Congrats man...but I gotta ask you. Why'll gotta add all those weird symbols and letters in maths??? is it to confuse us plebs?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 8:58 PM, Ph3N0M said:

On 10/13/2020 at 9:49 PM, kunjanp said:

This is awesome. You guys are living the dream :good:

Congrats @Ph3N0M

• Like 2