The "Good" and The "Bad" News Thread :) :(

SchizoidFreud

A customer of mine sent me extra 9000 rupees, because he accountant did not made entries of payments made from her personal account. (I stopped selling a certain items and hence all pending balance was being transferred). Called her instantly and told her   she was extremely happy and said thanks almost every sentence, and called twice after receiving the payment. So this was something good happened with me . Felt really nice :):)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news - a couple of days back a manager complained about some work I had done, essentially jeopardizing a contract with the client. Took a lot of heat from a lot of people and had to justify why I had messed up so bad. Had 4 seniors riding my a*s. Sleepless nights.

Good news - Google sheets cell history. Had to check the cell history for a huge number of cells. Turns out the manager had made the changes in question after I had worked on them and since those rows were tagged under my name I was the easy target. Get f**ked mate. Dropped the bomb during my disciplinary call yesterday. He's on the watchlist.

I'm off the hook, but I do have a target on my back now. You know office politics. Good thing this is a small part time thing.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Walker said:

I'm off the hook, but I do have a target on my back now. You know office politics. Good thing this is a small part time thing.

You can't work in an office and not get involved in politics. I try so hard to stay away but once you climb those ladders, it's inevitable.

6 hours ago, Walker said:

Bad news - a couple of days back a manager complained about some work I had done, essentially jeopardizing a contract with the client. Took a lot of heat from a lot of people and had to justify why I had messed up so bad. Had 4 seniors riding my a*s. Sleepless nights.

Good news - Google sheets cell history. Had to check the cell history for a huge number of cells. Turns out the manager had made the changes in question after I had worked on them and since those rows were tagged under my name I was the easy target. Get f**ked mate. Dropped the bomb during my disciplinary call yesterday. He's on the watchlist.

90% of managers are aholes..who'll throw anyone under the bus to save their a*s.

6 hours ago, b!T said:

You can't work in an office and not get involved in politics. I try so hard to stay away but once you climb those ladders, it's inevitable.

7 minutes ago, Snake said:

90% of managers are aholes..who'll throw anyone under the bus to save their a*s.

Agreed with both of you. I was lucky in this case simply because I had proof of my innocence. If I didn't I probably would have lost the gig. I was so f**king pissed really because I knew I had done a great job, and then to hear from everyone how I f**ked up really got my goat. Anyway calling him out in a meeting in front of his peers, using screenshare felt good :lol:

• Like 1

But that's just their part of the job. Managers will throw anyone below them under the bus to save themselves. Anyone higher than manager position will throw manager under the bus. Cycle goes on. Be your own boss or have to adjust with getting thrown under the bus. 

While it surely sucks it is to be expected. 

Edited by Joe Cool

thats weird, usually when a subordinate makes a mistake, its always the manager who's blamed.  It doesn't matter who in the team did the screw-up , the upper management (the manager's manager) holds the immediate manager responsible.  The statement - 'He did it , not me', just doesn't fly these days.  The converse is also true that, when a team achieves something, the manager mostly gets the credit !   I've seen instances where VPs or GMs have been fired for a mistake of a subordinate at-least 2-3 levels below them.

2 hours ago, Walker said:

Agreed with both of you. I was lucky in this case simply because I had proof of my innocence. If I didn't I probably would have lost the gig. I was so f**king pissed really because I knew I had done a great job, and then to hear from everyone how I f**ked up really got my goat. Anyway calling him out in a meeting in front of his peers, using screenshare felt good :lol:

I was an Architect for Voice solutions and was working in that Domain for 12 years. I was having a hard time protecting my team from all the bullshit these so called managers dump on us but it was futile. I put down papers after finding another Job then one of my mentors from a year back, got me into her team. Still an Architect but that team's average age is so high, I am the Junior most one :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Walker said:

Hopefully this manager finds another job and leaves from here. Or you just find a better job/client projects yourself. 

29 minutes ago, adity said:

Good news: I bought a home in Mumbai few months back and its finally close to being complete. Will move in by next week I think. In the context of things that have happened in my life, it's a really big deal for me. 

Noice. Congrats man. A house is always a massive life-moment. It’s funny how the current gen and 30+ folks think this might be superstitious B$, but the right house always moves towards you. You just have to let things happen. No rushing. I learnt it and in a great way (even with all the drama). The house meant for you will give you immense peace and prosperity. ?

Edited by Jigsaw
Typo
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, adity said:

Good news: I bought a home in Mumbai few months back and its finally close to being complete. Will move in by next week I think. In the context of things that have happened in my life, it's a really big deal for me. 

I hope it's not in @Jigsaw's society !?

• Haha 3

Bro that's amazing. That too in Mumbai!!

Not personal, but good news nevertheless:

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/indian-school-teacher-wins-1-million-global-teacher-prize-for-promoting-girls-education-gives-half-away-2333867

Indian teacher wins 1 million USD award for innovation in teaching ! 

Read through this innovations - EPIC. 

• Like 2

Good news : A court case in which I was the first informant + prime witness has finally finished with my statement today.

Happened all over the phone, with the judge video calling me on WA. 

Bad news : took almost 7 years for an open and shut case to reach its conclusion with the accused absconding and me signing a statement telling the court that I and the accused have compromised and made up just to end the case. 

• Like 1

Just now, KnackChap said:

Good news : A court case in which I was the first informant + prime witness has finally finished with my statement today.

Happened all over the phone, with the judge video calling me on WA. 

Bad news : took almost 7 years for an open and shut case to reach its conclusion with the accused absconding and me signing a statement telling the court that I and the accused have compromised and made up just to end the case. 

India man, everything just drags on and on. Anyway good that it's done.

2 hours ago, b!T said:

India man, everything just drags on and on. Anyway good that it's done.

Yeah man. In our judicial system, the victim is just as much penalized as the accused. No wonder most crimes go unreported or are "settled" in the police station itself. 

Still one of a kind experience that I hope no one goes through. the accused's attorney cross questioning me was the highlight, I was so trying to not LMAO when he was putting out weird accusations against me, I think even the judge had a smile on his face (looked like a no-nonsense guy otherwise). That scene was even more hilarious compared to the comic court movies we get in bollywood. 

• Haha 1