Grand Theft Auto IV

KnackChap

Why hasnt M$ revealed details of the GTA IV DLC yet ?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

problem happens when ur HDD is full and to play a new game, u got to uninstall some old game. And just when u want to play that old game again, u have to sit thru a installation process and keep rotating your game installs. The pop-in-disc-and-play advantage of consoles vs PCs is literally gone !

seriously.. this was one of the main points why console gaming is better than PC gaming... no installation process..

and this whole 360 core/premium configurarion difference is also headed the wrong way.. who the hell wants to check system requirements of your gaming console before buying or playing a game?! LAME!

pretty soon they'll have graphic cards and memory upgrades for the consoles.. im SURE that's the next generation.

its crap.

the day that happens i'll find a modded old PS2 and play thru my 2000+ library of games that dont need hdd, no installation, no patching, no config, no sh*t.

^ That's they have kept the option of upgrading the HDD without breaking warranty or anything. Seriously its not such a huge deal. The consoles that will come after x360 and PS3 will be advanced in many ways because during that time even Blu-ray will advance and so we can expect games not needing any installation and playing on the fly

You bet dude,

The first time when a game asked me for installation, i was like WTF

looks like i got myself another PC instead of console but after a few games, it kinda became a routine thing. Some of the games like R6 Vegas 2 and others take a lot of disk space on PS3.

im wondering how it will be in the future when most games will be downloadble directly. as of now, u need to isntall every damn thing u get from the PS store. but if they make it such that it can be played directly (like a DVD iso can be played), it should be good.. because all the sht is on the hard drive ANYWAY...

on another thought.. "install while you play" anyone? like Ubuntu Linux's "play while you install"? lol

Will be well worth it. Also, this might be a worthy addition to your collection. i'd hit it if i wasn't interested in the RE Essentials pack.

I did. My copy arrived this Friday :D

Inside all the 3 game boxes, there were, apart from the normal booklets, 3 BIG posters of respective GTAs . Worth a buy.

Got RE:Essentials also, btw

Edited by WhatsInTheName

Compiled List of Reviews so far.........

IGN : 10/10

GAME INFORMER: 10/10

TEAM XBOX:10/10

EUROGAMER:10/10

1UP:10/10

OXM:10/10

PSM:10/10

COMPUTER AND VIDEOGAMES: 9.5/10

OPM: 10/10

GAMESRADAR:10/10

GAMESPY : 5/5

GAMETRAILERS:9.8/10

Edited by D33P@K

The coolest future scenario would be using solid state drive technology in a cartridge format, like the kick-a*s N64 days.

Precisely one of the main reasons why N64 lost out to PS1. They have more disadvantages than advantages compared to optical media !

Edited by ..Ne0..

GTA FAQ

Got questions about Grand Theft Auto IV? We've maybe got some of the answers! In an effort to address some of the frequently asked questions about the game, its two console versions and the particular quirks of each, we're compiling a handy reference guide which we hope you find informative. If your question isn't answered, ask in the comments and we'll hunt down an answer for you. We're trying our best to avoid spoilers, so some questions may go unanswered in the interest of letting you discover on your own. On with the questions...

How's the game? Any good?

Yes, yes it is. Check out our GTA IV review. It's spoiler-free and almost totally free of "teh biases"!

Should I get the PlayStation or Xbox 360 version?

That's up to you. They're nearly identical and it's hard to go wrong with either version. We found the feature set to be better on the 360, but the PS3 holds up a bit better technically. Check out our PS3 versus 360 GTA IV comparison piece.

Is there split screen multiplayer? What about local multiplayer via LAN?

No, multiplayer for both systems is only online.

Whats the deal with the PS3 hard drive install?

Installation is mandatory and kicks off when you insert the disc for the first time. We timed the 3.4 GB install at 7 minutes and 20 seconds.

Does the Xbox 360 have a hard drive installation?

No. There is no required installation, nor is there an optional one.

Can I remap the controls? Is there a control option for lefties?

Controls can't be remapped, but you can choose between Standard and Classic modes. Switching between the two will switch shoulder buttons for aiming and firing, among other changes. There is no special consideration for left handed players.

Is there an option for custom soundtracks?

No, the game's radio stations will have to suffice. Xbox 360 owners can still stream music from their hard drive or an iPod, but music played via the Xbox 360 Guide will continue to play over cell phone calls and cut scenes. If you're just going out for a stroll in GTA IV, it's still an option.

Does the PlayStation 3 version have any kind of achievements or accomplishments?

Outside of the standard stat tracking, which tallies up your kills, deaths, arrests, distance traveled, passed missions, stunt jumps, and other extracurricular activities, there are no Xbox Live Achievements-like features for the PS3.

How's the online performance?

Solid. We played for a pretty long, 16-player session before release via Xbox Live and were impressed. Microsoft says it's ramping up in anticipation of the release, adding hardware and hoping for smooth sailing. We have yet to go online with the PlayStation 3 version. Sony and Gamespy declined to comment about the status of the PlayStation Network.

How many players does the online mode support?

Up to sixteen players, depending on the game type.

Can I have sex with prostitutes?

In the game? Yes!

When can you trigger the "bullet-time"? Is it only while driving, or can you do it when walking around/shooting too?

You can switch to "bullet-time" during stunt jumps. While driving, hold B/Circle (or toggle to it using the Back/Select button) to enter the cinematic view. While in the cinematic view, click the left analog stick to toggle bullet time on and off.

Is there a huh, "normal" menu as in, not the cell phone one? For things like stats, audio, HUD and controller options, or just ofr ismply leaving the game paused? Or is this handled all in our cellphone?

Yes, when you press the Start button, you'll see options like Controls, Video, Audio and more.

How does the game end?

A list of credits scrolls vertically, with an extensive list of contributors.

Do helicopters have weapons?

Some do. Good luck hitting anything with the mini-guns! You might have better luck taking out foes with the chopper's blades.

Is ammunition only obtained by purchase? Are there (oh, the shame) cheats in this game?

Ammunition can be purchased from gun shops or one of your gun-running friends. It can also be collected from the corpses of your enemies. There are cheats, but we've yet to use any.

Can Niko buy the different outfits we see him wear or are they unlocked via missions?

Niko can buy new clothing, but some of Liberty City's clothing shops aren't immediately available to you.

Can you ride bicycles or skateboards?

Not that we've seen. You also can't ride in shopping carts.

Can you swim, or do those damn sharks eat you?

Niko can swim.

Is there a saved film or replay feature? What about saved screenshots?

Nope! This is certainly something we'd like to see added in a future game or update, as some of the player deaths are begging for a replay.

Are there different camera angles the player can select while on foot?

Sort of. The camera will pan further out or in, depending on your preference. While in vehicles or on the train, you can choose a cinematic camera mode, which is more cool than it is playable.

What if me and a couple friends just want to wreak havoc in Liberty City, no game modes, can we do that?

Yes, there is a Free Mode in multiplayer that can be played however you want.

How does the save system work?

There is an autosave feature, which you can turn on or off. The game will save your progress after each successfully completed mission. You can also choose to save at any time in one of Niko's safehouses.

Does GTA IV have Feature X from Vice City or San Andreas?

Character customization isn't as deep as it was in San Andreas, so you won't be hitting the gym or tattoo parlor to shape your own unique Niko. You can't own property, fly planes, customize cars or parachute off of skyscrapers. In multiplayer, you can choose how your character looks, with options for hair, hats, tops, pants, glasses and more. As you progress in ranked online matches, you'll unlock new looks for your character.

Are there subtitles?

Yes, and they come in handy, considering that Niko and his cousin will occasionally speak in their native tongue and characters like Little Jacob are nigh indecipherable.

Is lock-on targeting in multiplayer? Doesn't that kind of ruin it?

Lock-on targeting is an option in multiplayer matches, set by the game host. Even with lock-on targeting, however, there is still a level of skill involved, as accuracy increases while crouched, analog targeting tweaking can increase your likelihood of headshots and "pray and spray" firing will decrease accuracy. There are many, many options available to you in multiplayer, from having other players show up on your radar, to weather, to traffic density.

Link

Edited by Ayush12ice (GTA Rules)

Hang on, man. We're still reading..

EDIT: Done.

Nice FAQ list, man.

There is no special consideration for left handed players.

You know, thank God I'm right handed.

Is there an option for custom soundtracks?

No, the game's radio stations will have to suffice.

Meh, I'm pretty sure by the time I finish the game, I would not have heard all the radio stations through.

How does the game end?

A list of credits scrolls vertically, with an extensive list of contributors.

LOL! :P

You might have better luck taking out foes with the chopper's blades.

:thumbdown:

You can also choose to save at any time in one of Niko's safehouses.

Wonder if you have to buy safehouses or you just get 'em?

Maybe one of our pirates can tell us that.

/quote/You can't own property,/quote/

Oh well..

Edited by Achieved_Nirvana