X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Cyborg

ACTIVISION Discloses DETAILS ON X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE

wolverine.jpg

Developer - Raven Studios

Publisher - Activision

Expected - May 2009

Platforms- Xobx360, PS 3, PC, Wii, DS, PS 2

Activision has revealed details about their latest venture X-Men Origins:Wolverine.

The video game,expected to release in May 2009, the game puts you into the shoes of Wolverine as you experience his tormented past in the Weapons X facility to his present day adventures. It also reveals details about his Origins as you progress through the game.

The team at Raven were ready to disclose some info regarding this promising looking game.

“We have an amazing team with Raven Studios at the helm, creating what will undoubtedly be the quintessential, true-to-character Wolverine video game experience that fans have been craving,” said Rob Kostich, vice president, global brand management, Activision Publishing, Inc. “X-Men Origins: Wolverine amps up the action by bringing to life Wolverine’s wholly unique skills such as his brute strength, regenerative mutant abilities, and indestructible adamantium claws and skeleton in an immersive experience that is fitting to one of the most enduring and popular characters of all time.”

xmen_origins_wolverine.jpg

You will encounter legions of baddies in vast environments ranging from forests to high-tech labs. There will be a plethora of combos, fast-paced counters, heart-wrenching finishing moves and a host of other special abilities at your disposal for kicking some serious butt. Some unique features of this game worth a mention are the revealations about Wolverine's past as you progress and also the way you will heal in the game. The game is supposed to feaure a real-time healing feature where wounds will heal in real-time before your very own eyes. Sounds great to me. I have been a big fan of Wolverine from my childhood days and this game by no means looks disappointing!

Looking forward to playing this one.

More Information about X-Men Origins : Wolverine

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Hands On

wolverine-origins-helicopter.JPG

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is disarmingly violent. After watching NPC’s crudely decapitated, de-limbed, and disemboweled, any thoughtful, intelligent criticism or comment was pushed aside for me to mumble an “Uh, woa,” or a “Did they just, wow, they did that.” If you have any concerns that Wolverine’s latest videogame foray, brought to us by Raven Software and Amaze Entertainment by way of publisher Activision, lacks the visceral viscera that makes Wolverine one of the most brutal, animalistic superheroes, worry not. This is the most violent Wolverine game yet.

And while I’m at it, how about another hyperbolic generalization: this may be the best movie-game yet, too.

To call X-Men Origins: Wolverine a movie-game, though, is to misunderstand it. X-Men Origins: Wolverine borrows from plenty of sources beyond the film that shares its name—God of War, Uncharted and LOST to name a few.

How could I name drop everyone’s favorite mystery island, without eventually explaining myself. To tell our hero’s tale, Origins uses a narrative device similar to LOST’s flashbacks and flashforwards. You open the game on a tropical island setting, which acts a constant for Wolverine’s back story as you pop from different times and places; tropical stages are palate cleansers between the various levels spent battling helicopters, super villains and a 200 foot tall Sentinel.

More details after the jump…

wolverine-origins-cut.JPG

Oh yeah, you fight a Sentinel. No we didn’t see it, nor did we score any gritty details, but if it’s half as awesome as what we saw, expect your fanboy glands to secrete pure joy.

The gameplay plays like a fusion of Uncharted and God of War. That’s meant as a flattering comparison, as Wolverine borrows generously, but, for the most part, nails what made those two titles great. The attacks—light, strong and grab along with additional abilities—feel like God of War, but without the need to remember intricate combos or button presses.

Thanks to an easy lunge maneuver where you lock on an enemy with right button, and hurl yourself at them with left button, you can leap across 30 or 40 feet in a split second, flaying your enemy up on arrival.

If a bullet or a machete interferes with the slaughter, Wolverine’s down, but not out. Our hero can be injured—torn away flesh and gaping wound—but with time the skin, muscle and bone regenerates. The regeneration’s an impressive effect and a visual way to express the self-healing mechanic popularized by the Call of Duty series.

To break things up, you have Uncharted-esque platforming moments and your “feral senses.” These senses strip away an environment’s colors and highlight interactive set pieces a glowing green; a blue wisp of light emanates from Wolverine, aiming in the direction of your next goal. With the help of these senses, you navigate the lush jungle, and, presumably, some tricky mechanical compounds (read: Sentinel, we hope).

But in the end, this is a movie game, so there must be a downside, yes? Well, maybe. The game contains a bulk of the movie’s events and characters, but takes things a step further with 30% more content not from the film. The folks at Raven claim they were developing this Wolverine title before the film, so we’re curious to see how their take on the beastly tough guy meshes with a big studio’s likely more kosher image.

The devs don’t seem too concerned. The over the top violence and fan service (you can unlock additional Wolverine costumes like the popular yellow and blue outfit from the cartoon) may not make this the best X-Men Origins: Wolverine: The Movie: The Game. However, I doubt that was ever Raven’s goal.

What it does look like is the best Wolverine game, and that is what fans have been waiting for.

http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesbl...erine_hands_on/

It actually sounds pretty good for a movie tie-in...

Holy sh*t....when did Wolverine get ripped?

Dude,did u see the movie trailer.....he looks like the comic wolverine,i really want to see his Original claws ripping and cappin' ppl!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived