Suggestions and feedback

SchizoidFreud

Admin details and complete access should be shares between 2-3 admins. Minimum 2. I hope cost isn't a factor here but I won't mind if admins make donations as an option. That would lead into giveaways from admins as well. Just my 2 cents. 

Just now, eddy4823 said:

Admin details and complete access should be shares between 2-3 admins. Minimum 2. I hope cost isn't a factor here but I won't mind if admins make donations as an option. That would lead into giveaways from admins as well. Just my 2 cents. 

Exactly. 

If cost is an issue, I'm sure MANY regulars will contribute. 

7 minutes ago, slackerninja said:

Exactly. Which is why I thought it best that everyone knows what went down. The only person with access to stuff is Sam.

Just now, slackerninja said:

That’s happening anyway. Problem is hosting/forums etc master control is with one guy. 

Thanks for replying Ninja !

Maybe somebody else needs to share the master controls.

Seriously something needs to be done about it. 1 year of data lost, feedback lost and therefore overall trust. It has been happening quite erratically over the last 2 years. 

I believe that a public apology is required and solutions/redressals need to be made. If nothing is made, then we can expect it to happen again and IVG will definitely be history. It’s sad that IVG is the only and longest running forum for Indian gamers and I was expecting it to grow after the Xbox360/ps3 era but it seems to be declining since there is little to no promotions or giveaways.  Sam seriously needs to find a backup partner and open a donation thread if money is an issue. 

@HundredProofSam

Ditch AWS, go with Vultr. It will run @ max $20 plan and even less and have double performance of aws instance. It has integrated one click backup and snapshots. AWS requires config and is not good, so much overcharge. I can provide free assistance if needed.

Edited by G33kgamer

@HundredProofSam

Is there a way to start recurring billing if members want to contribute ? Many other (foreign) sites have it, via Paypal or Patreon or any other payment gateway. The amount isn't huge and crowd funding can be an easy way to not just generate money, but organize contests for members. 

$80-100 monthly for this size of forum seems expensive and AWS is unnecessary for it. Even more so when we lost a year full of data.

My suggestion would be:

Feel free to monetize is. I don't think any use will mind if you put a header banner ad. 

Add donation bar if necessary. Excess money can go back to members/giveaway or used for further renewal.

If you don't want to take donations directly, use Patreon. They have multiple payout options including Paypal/Payoneer. Downside, Patreon has a fee.

As for previous comment, sorry admins having onsite forum control doesn't help them to see hosting data. The cPanel or whatever AWS is running needs to have at least 1-2 more admins access just in-case you aren't around or busy allowing them to clear things out. 

All in all, nothing can be done regarding data loss. We just have to move on and hopefully it won't happen again. Shoutout to @slackerninja for keeping us updated on Discord. 

13 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

So the way it works now is - since IVG is a company, we have a company debit card from which payments are made, but AWS doesn't accept recurring payments via debit card. I do have a personal credit card on account as a back-up payment option.

The only issue with the Paypal donation model is that it's inconsistent, whereas costs are monthly. Also, I believe we would need to create a Paypal account for IVG, because I wouldn't want those funds going to an individual.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Patreon is available in India.

Yeah, I think Patreon is not available in India. But recurring payments (as subscriptions) can be set up via Razorpay, CCAvenue, Paypal and even Paytm (IIRC). 

Just now, HundredProofSam said:

Neither of those is supported by AWS. They only have the option of adding cards. No third-party services

I didn't mean they would go to AWS directly. Being a Pvt Ltd company, you must have a bank account for the company. They can go there, and then can be used for payments, giveaways etc. As it is, being a Pvt Ltd means you have to go through auditing etc via a CA, filing statements and all. 

26 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Last, what is the solution for the trading/traders? There were some ongoing disputes with new members and now due to data loss, they are completely gone. The feedbacks are also gone. 

Can admins manually increase feedbacks? If so people who have lost their feedbacks can ask to reinstate their feedback on giving a proof ( email, tapatalk notifications, etc.). This is just a suggestion. 

Also can the forum be rented for a longer period of time? Members can contribute a little and we can rent it for a longer period so it doesnt crash in future. And also there is no reason for a single person (HPS) to keep paying for a service all of us are using. 

Edited by Mizanurification
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, G33kgamer said:

@HundredProofSam

Ditch AWS, go with Vultr. It will run @ max $20 plan and even less and have double performance of aws instance. It has integrated one click backup and snapshots. AWS requires config and is not good, so much overcharge. I can provide free assistance if needed.

you're welcome to move/migrate/maintain it. I'd like to see double the performance of AWS at lesser price. 

• Like 1

Yes, members can and should donate a little to keep the forum alive. I agree with @Mizanurification.

If someone can help in other technical ways rather than by paying money, that should also be welcomed. It is a community and people should share the responsibilities, if they are capable.

3 hours ago, Mizanurification said:

Can admins manually increase feedbacks? If so people who have lost their feedbacks can ask to reinstate their feedback on giving a proof ( email, tapatalk notifications, etc.). This is just a suggestion.

Too much drama, and then again no cross-verification without threads. =/

1 hour ago, sathyabhat said:

you're welcome to move/migrate/maintain it. I'd like to see double the performance of AWS at lesser price. 

Could you provide details of current EC2 instance along with how many vcpu and how much memory is currently assigned. 

19 minutes ago, G33kgamer said:

Could you provide details of current EC2 instance along with how many vcpu and how much memory is currently assigned. 

it's a t2.micro instance + t2.small Aurora RDS