Suggestions and feedback

SchizoidFreud

23 minutes ago, sathyabhat said:

it's a t2.micro instance + t2.small Aurora RDS

Please check https://www.vultr.com/products/high-frequency-compute/

$24 plan would be enough. Geekbench 11149 | Should be good for 100K monthly visits.

t2 micro Geekbench: 3216

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/790238

Even the next plan @ $48, geekbench: 15390   will be massively cheaper than current EWS $100. 

Vultr has free Plesk upto 3 domains, we can use that so the server will be easy to maintain security wise.

Edited by G33kgamer

2 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

I’m not sure what sort of server resources IVG is using now but before we shifted to AWS, our host was unable to handle the forum activity. We used to have frequent 500 server errors. After the switch to AWS we haven’t had that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vultr is not shared hosting, it is KVM based cloud server just like AWS and its tier scalable like AWS.

https://www.vpsbenchmarks.com/compare/ec2_vs_vultr : Refer: ops/hour

1 hour ago, G33kgamer said:

Please check https://www.vultr.com/products/high-frequency-compute/

$24 plan would be enough. Geekbench 11149 | Should be good for 100K monthly visits.

t2 micro Geekbench: 3216

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/790238

Even the next plan @ $48, geekbench: 15390   will be massively cheaper than current EWS $100. 

Vultr has free Plesk upto 3 domains, we can use that so the server will be easy to maintain security wise.

you need to understand the workload before you throw random numbers based random metrics. The geekbench numbers are useless because the forum isn't CPU heavy, it's IO Heavy. I looked up CloudWatch metrics, the average CPU utilization is less than 15%. 

There's a reason we have separate managed database and compute instance: the compute instance is quite cheap (less than $8 per month) and the heavy work(and expense) is done by the managed database. The forum is extremely database heavy and the IO workload choked the web server and as a result we ended up with 500 errors. And IVG was on a dedicated server(which IIRC cost 2x our current monthly bill), not a shared host.

I don't know how "plesk 3 domains" will be easy to maintain security wise, please enlighten me. And like I said, if you're interested in taking over running the servers and maintaining them, I'd be more than happy.

Funfact:, IVG does 150k+ views daily with half of it being absorbed by cloudflare with over 2Gigs of bandwidth. 

image.png

• Like 8

And IVG was on a dedicated server, not a shared host.

20 minutes ago, sathyabhat said:

The forum is extremely database heavy and the IO workload choked the web server and as a result we ended up with 500 errors. And IVG was on a dedicated server, not a shared host.

I bet that choking would be because of the HDD in the dedicated server in those days. So, do you think that we would get similar choking in NVME SSDs?

But, I understand your choice, if separate DB server is needed we won't save much.

^Since you already have an IVG account that is used to pay bills, we can credit directly to it. Money coming in, as long as it is spent for running the website and is used as an expense for IVG, there should be no tax implications, as you won't be generating any income.

Excess money: use it for longer renewals, or, the "crowd funding" thread can be updated to reflect if you've reached your monthly/yearly requirement, and members can stop contributing till the time the thread is updated again. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, HundredProofSam said:

Not a dedicated server but a VPS, which if I’m not mistaken is somewhere between shared and dedicated hosting. And yeah we were paying double of what we’re paying AWS so I’m happy with AWS. Just wish it was more user friendly.

For those suggesting a donation option: I don’t mind that but we just need to figure out where those donations go, how those are then used to pay the website costs, what happens to the excess money and what the tax implications are.

If anyone has does this before, please share details.

Besides donations, other option we could look at is ad and subscription based. People who don't mind donating/paying can subscribe for the website that doesn't have ads while the regular users will have ads around. NeoGAF has had ads for the longest time and I think it is fine as long as we don't over do it. Now I think both NeoGAF and ResetERA started subscription models. 

Ultimately it is your call as to which route you'd want to take. I feel the ad model will generate a stable income but donations, members will do few times initially but down the line you'd have to ask when needed. 

Hope it is a valid suggestion. 

2 minutes ago, Engineer said:

Instead of adding ads I suggest to setup Monero Mining Pool for donation. We have lots of members with high end gaming pc. They will mine monero for IVG which can be used for paying server fees

This seems like a bad idea to me. Seems highly invasive.

I'd be down for a resonable subscription fee/ads though.

Heck I preferred the affiliate links banner on the home page by play asia or amazon. Makes the website more lively :P

Somehow, I am allowed to have a profile picture that's only 50kb (yes, kB) in size. ? Don't remember the last time I heard/said kB in a conversation. Any chance that size restriction can be relaxed a little bit?

Edited by VelivolusDas
Was able to resize the image for now

On 7/9/2019 at 12:17 AM, HundredProofSam said:

Not a dedicated server but a VPS, which if I’m not mistaken is somewhere between shared and dedicated hosting. And yeah we were paying double of what we’re paying AWS so I’m happy with AWS. Just wish it was more user friendly.

For those suggesting a donation option: I don’t mind that but we just need to figure out where those donations go, how those are then used to pay the website costs, what happens to the excess money and what the tax implications are.

If anyone has does this before, please share details.

I don't think a Pvt Ltd Company can accept Donations in India, you might want to check with a CA for that. You can direct those donations in the form of revenue. Other than that, you can otherwise show the donations in the form of unsecured debt but that would mean you to pay some form of interest. As far as the tax implications are concerned, IVG will be charged a 25% corporate tax (as per the new budget) of whatever profit you make.

Edited by akashkhannabond007

43 minutes ago, adity said:

Not really. It won't be tax deductible but there's nothing stopping a company from taking donations. You can just show it as membership fees or whatever. There won't be any profits since all theoretical donations would be used for hosting expenses and such. 

Membership fee = Revenue, buddy. If there wont be any profits then no tax implications.

Where would you show donations under the balance sheet? Last I read that Donations weren't allowed for private companies, if you have some information to share would love to get updated

Edited by akashkhannabond007
typo

Here is what you do. 

Make it so that no one can block Zodka's posts. And all his posts show up multiple times in large fonts.

Then sell a "Premium package" called IVG+ that lets users ignore Zodka's posts. Boy, you would make more money that Google. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, adity said:

I mean you don't have to call them donations. Like I said, membership fee or whatever. Show it as income which'll be setoff by expenses. Donations won't come on the balance sheet. Since there is no obligation attached to them. What you're talking about is that private limited companies aren't allowed to accept deposits from the public. 

Then again I'm no expert so who knows? I may be wrong. 

abey tu CA hai na?