Suggestions and feedback

SchizoidFreud

I've been trying to find a solution to it, but the forums have become so bloated over the last 10+ years, there doesn't seem like much can be done, short of dumping it and starting from scratch.

Even our AWS billing is through the roof (35k per month) because the forums have become so unoptimised that its taxing the server.

The forums software company (Invision) has a service where we can move the forums to their own server but they can't guarantee that it will run any smoother.

6 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

I've been trying to find a solution to it, but the forums have become so bloated over the last 10+ years, there doesn't seem like much can be done, short of dumping it and starting from scratch.

Even our AWS billing is through the roof (35k per month) because the forums have become so unoptimised that its taxing the server.

The forums software company (Invision) has a service where we can move the forums to their own server but they can't guarantee that it will run any smoother.

Is there a chance to move to another forum software? :fear:

29 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

Damn! I would suggest starting fresh or atleast remove some content but then again I can understand if some folks don't want to.

1 hour ago, HundredProofSam said:

I've no idea, but many other forums like TE are incredibly smooth, and have been around for same time. Maybe take a loss once (on threads) and use what they're using ? 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

Moving to a new platform is an option. There are similar software suites, and also SaaS solutions like Tribe.

The question is how much can we export and use on those platforms. If not posts and threads, we should at least be able to transfer the members database.

39 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

Moving to a new platform is an option. There are similar software suites, and also SaaS solutions like Tribe.

The question is how much can we export and use on those platforms. If not posts and threads, we should at least be able to transfer the members database.

I think as long as we can access the DB here, we should be able to do that! I saw a couple of guides on the same topic!

37 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

IPB has an SaaS offering, and they can also port our content and database from here for a fee: https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

What would be the most straightforward conversion tier for us? I guess that would also be dictated by where most of the cost is going currently. I'll be happy to explore alternatives as well!

16 minutes ago, abhi90 said:

What would be the most straightforward conversion tier for us? I guess that would also be dictated by where most of the cost is going currently. I'll be happy to explore alternatives as well!

The lowest tier should be fine for us. Migration cost is $250, but waived off if we pay for the full year up front. But I'm a bit concerned about getting stuck with a 1 yr commitment if their servers are sluggish and they aren't able to optimise performance.

Would everyone be okay with having these forums as read-only and switching to an entirely platform from scratch?

• Like 1

Here are some alternative SaaS platforms:

Vanilla: https://vanillaforums.com/features/forums/

Discourse (open source): https://www.discourse.org/features

IPB's SaaS platform: https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

Tribe is great but too expensive ($500 per month)

Or we could move to a traditional forum software like phpBB which is free and self-hosted. Many other forums use it. Only issue is that it looks even more dated than IPB.

1 hour ago, HundredProofSam said:

Would everyone be okay with having these forums as read-only and switching to an entirely platform from scratch?

Absolutely. As long as we can easily transfer over the users, it shouldn't be a problem!

21 hours ago, HundredProofSam said:

Why aren't we going with something like linode , AWS is costly and has too many instances and stuff to setup. Why not a a VPS?