Gaming PCs

AtheK

And you are based out of Bangalore?

How many years do you plan to keep this PC and would you be open to upgrades down the line (like adding RAM or a hard-drive)?

In short, yup to both - Am in B'lore & I am open to upgrades over time.

The last time I built a PC, I thought I future proofed it for about 5 years. I built the comp in 2009. But it was a DDR2 ram era. So just within a few years (or months if memory serves me right :P pun intended! ) DDR3 kicked in and I was stuck with a MB that didn't support it.

I upgraded the GPU though, and pushed in a USB 3.0 pci-e chip for faster transfers.

So my biggest concern of course is to be future proof. I still play games on the PC i built. I played Arkham Knight on it (of course with all the glitches).

To summarize,

• I need a system (PC or Laptop) to be future proof
  • I really need it to be easy to carry and plug and play from room to room. Hence was banking on laptops
  • I want it to play the games mentioned above and future titles that are combat and story based
  • Mind boggling lifelike graphics is not important. It just musn't look like I am plying with legos or minecraft while playing new titles.
  • I will have my console (PS3 and hopefully PS4).

I think I'll invest time trying to learn what will and won't fit a micro gaming pc. Can I build one within 60K? Will it be future proof? while searching for parts (such as MB, RAM, GPU etc.) what must I look out for?

Try this cabinet if you want it to be easily movable: http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-202

Build a PC around its specifications. Costs 7K though (Sold by Amazon Export LLC)

Ask Alpha17 if it's a good idea or not. I am not an expert at these.

Mini itx is too constrained if I am not wrong. The parts cost would be a problem. And I guess the parts like gpu would need to be small. Plus limited upgrade choices.. That's why I was looking for at the last a micro setup..

Try this cabinet if you want it to be easily movable: http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-202

Build a PC around its specifications. Costs 7K though (Sold by Amazon Export LLC)

Ask Alpha17 if it's a good idea or not. I am not an expert at these.

Mini itx is too constrained if I am not wrong. The parts cost would be a problem. And I guess the parts like gpu would need to be small. Plus limited upgrade choices.. That's why I was looking for at the last a micro setup..

Hey man, sorry for the delay in response.

You are true about certain aspects of the m-ITX format, like your choices are slightly constrained and the components themselves are more expensive but you can install a full-size GPU on them now and even in that chassis that Panda has suggested.

I would concur that you should look at µATX builds though because of the selection and more importantly the availability of various components in this space. I am assuming you are keeping aside ~50,000/- for this build, in which case the following components are what we should look at,

Intel Core i5 7400 / 7500 series CPU

GIGABYTE B250M-D3H

Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB x1 2400MHz RAM

ZOTAC! GTX1050Ti

Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500W PSU / Seasonic M12II 520W PSU

Cooler Master MasterBox 5

Hard-drive capacity of your choice

I am not adding an SSD and a display as this itself is going to strain the budget, if you have any queries PM me. =]

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah u need minimum 50k with monitor to get something decent.

R5 1400 -13k

Asus B350M-A - 7k

Gtx 1050Ti - 12k

21.5 in 1080p monitor - 7k

Seasonic Eco 430W PSU -3.5k

Kingston hyper x 8gb ddr4 2133 -4.3k

Corsair Spec M2 -4k

So about 50k

You could save 10k by going with Pentium G4560+ GTX 1050/RX460.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am almost done completing my first custom watercooled PC. Still waiting on the GPU waterblock to finish the build. I am clueless when it comes to monitors though, I thought about getting TV first so I can connect PC and PS4 to it then decided against it after reading articles about input lags bla blah.

The gfx card is going to be a watercooled 1080ti and cpu will be a watercooled rx1700. This is the part where I get confused, Ive never seen a Gysync monitor in action live and to be honest I don't mind a odd screen tear or two, is it worth the premium over non g-sync monitor? Also, as a person who likes to keep all settings maxed out when possible, would you suggest getting a 1440p monitor or go for 4k?

Finally, I do have a 1080p 60 hz monitor lying around, should i use it and wait for hdr monitors to launch?

Please help a confused sould decide :)

Regards,

Arun

This is the part where I get confused, Ive never seen a Gysync monitor in action live and to be honest I don't mind a odd screen tear or two, is it worth the premium over non g-sync monitor? Also, as a person who likes to keep all settings maxed out when possible, would you suggest getting a 1440p monitor or go for 4k?

Get a good 1440p panel, preferably capable of a 75Hz refresh rate.

I would not recommend G-Sync to everyone but in-your case it might be the best bet considering your specifications.

HDR monitors are a long way from becoming even standard fare abroad, forget locally, ideally if you are going to use this PC mostly for gaming I would suggest that you please look into getting a G-Sync or a high refresh rate full-HD or 1440p monitor. Only if you are okay scaling back the settings here and there should you even consider a 4K monitor.

Brands to look out for are BenQ-Zowie, ASUS and LG.

Hi guys,

I am almost done completing my first custom watercooled PC. Still waiting on the GPU waterblock to finish the build. I am clueless when it comes to monitors though, I thought about getting TV first so I can connect PC and PS4 to it then decided against it after reading articles about input lags bla blah.

The gfx card is going to be a watercooled 1080ti and cpu will be a watercooled rx1700. This is the part where I get confused, Ive never seen a Gysync monitor in action live and to be honest I don't mind a odd screen tear or two, is it worth the premium over non g-sync monitor? Also, as a person who likes to keep all settings maxed out when possible, would you suggest getting a 1440p monitor or go for 4k?

Finally, I do have a 1080p 60 hz monitor lying around, should i use it and wait for hdr monitors to launch?

Please help a confused sould decide :)

Regards,

Arun

A watercooled 1080ti? Can you share few details that how did you managed to watercool a reference 1080ti?

A watercooled 1080ti? Can you share few details that how did you managed to watercool a reference 1080ti?

It's a custom watercooling loop. I've ordered the ek waterblock from performance pc.com. it's on pre-order at the moment. Waterblock is only available for reference 1080ti I believe.

EDIT:the case I'm using is the thermaltake core p5. Let me know if you want the full watercooling part list.

Edited by hardcorelegend
  • Like 1

Get a good 1440p panel, preferably capable of a 75Hz refresh rate.

I would not recommend G-Sync to everyone but in-your case it might be the best bet considering your specifications.

HDR monitors are a long way from becoming even standard fare abroad, forget locally, ideally if you are going to use this PC mostly for gaming I would suggest that you please look into getting a G-Sync or a high refresh rate full-HD or 1440p monitor. Only if you are okay scaling back the settings here and there should you even consider a 4K monitor.

Brands to look out for are BenQ-Zowie, ASUS and LG.

Thanks for the explanation alpha :)

Ultra high fps isn't a big requirement for me personally. 60 is more than enough for me. With that said, would you recommend a 4k or 1440?

With regard to uses I'll be using it for gaming while my wife will occasionally use it for renders and stuff. Color accuracy is important to her. I've been thinking about getting a 1440 ultrawide. How do you check the color accuracy of a monitor? Is there something specific I can check and say ok, this monitor is accurate with color representation. Reading reveiws is only making me more confused.

Do you know of any specific models I should take a look at?

^ I would still recommend a 1440p panel at tops. You can check the sRGB rating of a panel and if it has been certified by companies like Adobe for render work.

LG and BenQ should be what you should be looking at in this case, ASUS is more into gaming monitors.

Hey there,

I own a Gsync monitor and i will suggest you to get one.

A 1440p Gsync monitor i think would work fine with your case considering the specs of your pc, If you're feeling fancy then I suggest checking out the curved acer predator Gsync 1440p monitor.

Gsync does help a lot while the screen tearing in my case had been rare, new monitors with Gsync gen. 2 should make it much better and remove the rare screen tearing altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the inputs guys.

@harjas, Im looking for a 21:9 monitor and the g sync ones cost a fortune. I still haven't zero'ed in on the monitor. Will 1080p 21:9 ratio look bad on 29inch screen? Those are the only ones I could fit into watever remaining budget I have after going overboard on watercooling :P

If anyone could suggest a 21:9 monitor which suits my needs, I'd be grateful. I can spend upto $600 on monitor right now. Also Im based in Dubai. the local prices are more or les in line with US prices.

Also on a side note, has anyone here used mayhem's aurora coolant? Ive ordered both pastel and aurora coolants. I have the XSPC D5 Photon 270 Reservoir/Pump Combo V2

D5 Pump Variety which is stated as not compatible with aurora on mayhems site, I was wondering what kind of issues I could run into if i ignore that warning and put aurora fluid into my loop, I dont mind replacing the fluid frequently as long as it doesnt cause permantn damage to the loop.

Also on a side note, has anyone here used mayhem's aurora coolant? Ive ordered both pastel and aurora coolants. I have the XSPC D5 Photon 270 Reservoir/Pump Combo V2

D5 Pump Variety which is stated as not compatible with aurora on mayhems site, I was wondering what kind of issues I could run into if i ignore that warning and put aurora fluid into my loop, I dont mind replacing the fluid frequently as long as it doesnt cause permantn damage to the loop.

No advice for you my friend, only a question :P . Malayali?