Gaming PCs

AtheK

I have done my fair share of research and still in progress but with the vast array of options would love some suggestions for a gaming monitor? Preferably future proof (atleast to some extent).

GFX Card : Once everything settles, will get 3000 series card, hopefully 3080.

Resolution: 4K / 2K (4K preferred)

Refresh rate: 144-240hz

Low input lag

Size : 27" +

Never used curved so don't know if i will favour it or not but would like to try.

Will be used for consoles and PC gaming.

Will be used for other entertainment like tv shows, movies aswell.

Gaming look and design preferred.

Budget : 30K (desirable) to 50K.

Is it worth waiting for proper 4K monitors to hit the market or better to settle for 2K? There is still time for my purchase so are there any new models/upgrades expected in immediate future? 

Also is it worth investing so much in a monitor or should i save and invest in other upgrades?

If yes, what would be a great 144hz+, 2K, low input lag monitor for now?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Edited by StormShadow
screen size

2 hours ago, adity said:

I think 4k 144 hz monitors are either not sold here or have exorbitant pricing. Anyways, I don't think 3080 will be able to do 144 fps at 4k.

maybe 2 in SLI mode :P

PS:- 144hz in 4k is insanity. I dont think if present display tech can even support that.

Edited by radicaldude

excruciatingly

5 minutes ago, adity said:

Display tech is there. My TV can display 4k 120hz with VRR and all that. 

30xx doesn't support sli far as I know. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-4k-gaming-monitors-pc-144hz,6023.html

You are correct. Moreover these are not excruciatingly costly. I mean compared to bravia 4k 120 tvs.

No GPU has power to run games at 4K 144hz outside comp games.

If you are buying 3080, then go for 4K monitor. 144hz will be more expensive.

My personal suggestion would be ultrawide 3440x1440. Amazing experience. Work, media (movies) and gaming is so good. TV/streaming have black bars but I got used to it eventually. So there is one con.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 9:54 PM, adity said:

I think 4k 144 hz monitors are either not sold here or have exorbitant pricing. Anyways, I don't think 3080 will be able to do 144 fps at 4k.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:37 AM, radicaldude said:

excruciatingly

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-4k-gaming-monitors-pc-144hz,6023.html

You are correct. Moreover these are not excruciatingly costly. I mean compared to bravia 4k 120 tvs.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:30 AM, Joe Cool said:

No GPU has power to run games at 4K 144hz outside comp games.

If you are buying 3080, then go for 4K monitor. 144hz will be more expensive.

My personal suggestion would be ultrawide 3440x1440. Amazing experience. Work, media (movies) and gaming is so good. TV/streaming have black bars but I got used to it eventually. So there is one con.

Thanks guys. I had shortlisted LG 27GN950-B but it lacks hdmi 2.1 port. I game on PC as well as all consoles. So need something which is good for both. Will wait out a bit for more 4K monitors to hit our market.

Currently everything is out of stock or over priced due to Covid. I'm building a complete gaming setup so have a long list of things-to-do and things-to-buy. But facing out of stock for most items, even simple stuff like gaming chair.

Cheers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StormShadow said:

Thanks guys. I had shortlisted LG 27GN950-B but it lacks hdmi 2.1 port. I game on PC as well as all consoles. So need something which is good for both. Will wait out a bit for more 4K monitors to hit our market.

Currently everything is out of stock or over priced due to Covid. I'm building a complete gaming setup so have a long list of things-to-do and things-to-buy. But facing out of stock for most items, even simple stuff like gaming chair.

Cheers.

We can help with your part requirements, We're based out of Pune as well BTW!

Alright, so the PC is setup now  (sorry for the poor quality image, ttaken from my mobile).  

20201220-180348.jpg

Full specs:

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 
Motherboard - asus tuf gaming b550-plus wifi
RAM - ADATA D30 3200Mhz 8GBx2
SSD - Adata XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD - 1TB
HDD - WD 1TB Blue
Cabinet - Lian Li Lancool 215
Graphics Card -  Inno3d RTX 3060ti
PSU - Corsair CX 650M

Next step in the upgrade is the monitor.  Currently I use a LG 27" IPS panel full HD monitor, and have connected it to both the PC & my work laptop.  

Need to get a 4k/curved/wide screen for gaming soon.  Will mostly get it at  the end of the year sales.  Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Using my x360 controller with the PC for now.  I've completely lost touch on how to use it after using PS4 for the past 5 years and it feels so heavy and sluggish :lol:

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Alright, so the PC is setup now  (sorry for the poor quality image, ttaken from my mobile).  

20201220-180348.jpg

Full specs:

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 
Motherboard - asus tuf gaming b550-plus wifi
RAM - ADATA D30 3200Mhz 8GBx2
SSD - Adata XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD - 1TB
HDD - WD 1TB Blue
Cabinet - Lian Li Lancool 215
Graphics Card -  Inno3d RTX 3060ti
PSU - Corsair CX 650M

Next step in the upgrade is the monitor.  Currently I use a LG 27" IPS panel full HD monitor, and have connected it to both the PC & my work laptop.  

Need to get a 4k/curved/wide screen for gaming soon.  Will mostly get it at  the end of the year sales.  Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Using my x360 controller with the PC for now.  I've completely lost touch on how to use it after using PS4 for the past 5 years and it feels so heavy and sluggish :lol:

You can use your PS4 controller on pc using this program called "DS4windows".

If you have games on steam also you can play, steam provides compatibility for PS4 controller.

Many games also have out of box support for DS4 controller if connected through usb.

I play most PC games using DS4 controller only because of comfort.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:54 PM, adity said:

4K 144 Hz monitor launched a couple of days ago and yes price is exorbitant

LG Ultragear 27 inch, 4K-UHD, Nano IPS 144Hz, 1ms G-Sync Compatible Gaming Monitor - with VESA HDR 600 - Display Port, HDMI, USB up/Down, HAS Stand, RGB Sphere Lighting - 27GN950 (Black) 59999

2 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

You can use your PS4 controller on pc using this program called "DS4windows".

If you have games on steam also you can play, steam provides compatibility for PS4 controller.

Many games also have out of box support for DS4 controller if connected through usb.

I play most PC games using DS4 controller only because of comfort.

DS4windows is not needed outside GP games.

Steam has native support for DS4 and other client games you can add them as non-steam game and play with DS4. 

3 hours ago, Ne0 said:

Go ultrawide and never look back. Best work/gaming/movie experience. 

4K 144Hz is useless... There is no hardware to run games at 4K144. 

On 12/20/2020 at 10:39 PM, Joe Cool said:

DS4windows is not needed outside GP games.

Steam has native support for DS4 and other client games you can add them as non-steam game and play with DS4. 

Go ultrawide and never look back. Best work/gaming/movie experience. 

4K 144Hz is useless... There is no hardware to run games at 4K144. 

Ultra wide 4k is way too expensive currently.  How is Ultra wide wfhd ?

Also wanted to know how's the experience of using a 4k regular monitor ? At a 6ft distance, 4k TV would look good no doubt, but when you're sitting inches away from the screen, will 4k cause eye strain ? Especially if you use it for working etc, will the text be too small ? There're some good qhd monitors currently, but not sure if it makes sense to buy 2k now or directly go for 4k !

9 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Also wanted to know how's the experience of using a 4k regular monitor ? At a 6ft distance, 4k TV would look good no doubt, but when you're sitting inches away from the screen, will 4k cause eye strain ? Especially if you use it for working etc, will the text be too small ? There're some good qhd monitors currently, but not sure if it makes sense to buy 2k now or directly go for 4k !

Your eyes get used to the size fairly quickly, generally speaking. Explains why the LG 48CX is so popular. I had a 47 inch FHD connected in a multi-monitor setup before moving to a 55 inch. Tip: "Google FancyZones + Windows 10 PowerToys". Also helps if you want quick access big-screen gaming between work :D

1 hour ago, Ne0 said:

I use two 32" 4k monitors side by side. The screen space is just irreplaceable. You will adjust to it quite quickly, otherwise can always scale.

1 hour ago, Keyofx said:

Your eyes get used to the size fairly quickly, generally speaking. Explains why the LG 48CX is so popular. I had a 47 inch FHD connected in a multi-monitor setup before moving to a 55 inch. Tip: "Google FancyZones + Windows 10 PowerToys". Also helps if you want quick access big-screen gaming between work :D

woah, how come i never heard of this so far ! this looks so cool !

Edited by Ne0