Gaming PCs

AtheK

:P

Hi guys,

what are your thoughts/comments on the below config ? Planning to run with Win 7 OS. Will be using for AV encoding/photoshopping/gaming/watching HD movies etc

Intel core i7 920 – 14800

Gigabyte X58UD3R – 14500

Transcend 2 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz – 2.2k

Cabinet: CoolerMaster HAF 922 - 6.5k

SMPS: Corsair TX 650W - 7k

Seagate 7200.12 500GB SATAII - 2.8k

Palit GTX 260 Core 216 Sonic - 11k

Benq 24" G2412HD - 11.6k

Can you help me improve or help decrease the cost, in case there's a cheaper/better option available ? How is phenom II compared to i7 ? I read that they give similar performance when it comes to gaming, and its a tad cheaper than i7 :panic:

dude... first off u got it wrong as it is...

u cannot use ddr2 ram in a ddr3 mobo.....

change ram to 4gb ddr3 .. it will be 1600 *2 =3200 approx

rest all is good... ( donno abt tht lcd)

u can go for a CM690 cabinet @ 4k

and u can also get the same HDD for 2.6k

gfx card is good enough... though id recommend a 4890 esp since its avail for 13-14k rite now..

and for ur purposes Phenom II X3 720 BE is enough ... but the fact is that no Phenom II can match an i7 :hug:

EDIT:: the RAM I mentioned above is Trancend 1333Mhz DDr3 with lifetime warranty... 2 x 2gb

Edited by ~--YeSH--~

I am using Phenom II 940 Black Ed. with a MSI DKA 790GX Platinum Mobo and 2x2GB DDR2 Ram and an Palit HD 4850 Sonic Edition card (512 MB DDR5)... It runs all games perfectly and its quite good with encoding videos and with photoshop also... Why don't you check out some camparisons and reviews of the Phenom II 940... It gives almost the same performance for lesser cost...

Thanks for the info Rakesh. I did some reading and from a gamer's pov, it seem to do the job just fine like i7. Hence, I'm bit inclined towards Phenom II. It costs atleast 3k less than i7. But I've never bought any AMD system, and I'm a bit skeptical. Since its just a difference of 3k, I was wondering if I should just buy i7 !

BTW, since you have a ATI card, does it support physx ? From what I hear physx is only for nvidia cards (since the company is owned by nvidia). Isn't that a disadvantage ?

dude... first off u got it wrong as it is...

u cannot use ddr2 ram in a ddr3 mobo.....

change ram to 4gb ddr3 .. it will be 1600 *2 =3200 approx

rest all is good... ( donno abt tht lcd)

u can go for a CM690 cabinet @ 4k

and u can also get the same HDD for 2.6k

gfx card is good enough... though id recommend a 4890 esp since its avail for 13-14k rite now..

and for ur purposes Phenom II X3 720 BE is enough ... but the fact is that no Phenom II can match an i7 :P

EDIT:: the RAM I mentioned above is Trancend 1333Mhz DDr3 with lifetime warranty... 2 x 2gb

Thanks buddy. Also, is there a cheaper / better motherboard ? I got this from one of TE's pc building guides. Is this the best I can get at this rate ?

Thanks for the info Rakesh. I did some reading and from a gamer's pov, it seem to do the job just fine like i7. Hence, I'm bit inclined towards Phenom II. It costs atleast 3k less than i7. But I've never bought any AMD system, and I'm a bit skeptical. Since its just a difference of 3k, I was wondering if I should just buy i7 !

BTW, since you have a ATI card, does it support physx ? From what I hear physx is only for nvidia cards (since the company is owned by nvidia). Isn't that a disadvantage ?

Thanks buddy. Also, is there a cheaper / better motherboard ? I got this from one of TE's pc building guides. Is this the best I can get at this rate ?

ATI does not support Physx.

if you can wait, wait for i5.

there are tons of better mobos... but they are also costly...

Actually u will get UD3 @13.5-14k depending upon dealer.... 14.5 is online price

The only X58 I recommend is Gigabyte UD5 which retails for 15-16k

and regarding physx.... alas yes its Nvidia exclusive.... but i dont care.. 'coz i dont use it

on the whole your machine is really powerful as it is.... if u can go for it

and I must warn u HAF 922 is a dust magnet.. and it doest come with dust filters... but is the best case for cooling in mid-atx segment..

Edited by ~--YeSH--~

there are tons of better mobos... but they are also costly...

Actually u will get UD3 @13.5-14k depending upon dealer.... 14.5 is online price

The only X58 I recommend is Gigabyte UD5 which retails for 15-16k

and regarding physx.... alas yes its Nvidia exclusive.... but i dont care.. 'coz i dont use it

on the whole your machine is really powerful as it is.... if u can go for it

and I must warn u HAF 922 is a dust magnet.. and it doest come with dust filters... but is the best case for cooling in mid-atx segment..

Since you bring up the topic of cooling ? Do I require any extra cooling accessory ?

^^ lol u didnt know tht?

n e ways i5 is lil bro of i7 which is comin out soon..

i5s are cheaper and don't require the costly X58s ... :D

cooling-- no need unless u wanna over clock.. i7s run really cool even at 3ghz on stock

PSU-- 650w is just enough..... aman can advise u better on this.. :)

Edited by ~--YeSH--~

Since you bring up the topic of cooling ? Do I require any extra cooling accessory ?

HAF 922 won't be available anywhere :D

Cooling if you are not overclocking you don't need it.

i5 launched 3 days back, will take time to get to india and there is i3 also.

^^ lol u didnt know tht?

n e ways i5 is lil bro of i7 which is comin out soon..

i5s are cheaper and don't require the costly X58s ... :D

I'm very out of touch with PC scene since a couple of years. My comp is way too old, and with the upcoming release of win 7, I thought of giving it an upgrade.

HAF 922 won't be available anywhere :P

Cooling if you are not overclocking you don't need it.

i5 launched 3 days back, will take time to get to india and there is i3 also.

Thanks. No I don't think I'll overclock it....not in da initial days atleast. BTW, saw HAF 922 at overclocked :) ?

Also, I think I can make my peace with the CM cabinet yesh mentioned :D

Edited by ..Billy..

I'm very out of touch with PC scene since a couple of years. My comp is way too old, and with the upcoming release of win 7, I thought of giving it an upgrade.

Thanks. No I don't think I'll overclock it....not in da initial days atleast. BTW, saw HAF 922 at overclocked :) ?

Also, I think I can make my peace with the CM cabinet yesh mentioned :D

even we don't have it in stock in the last lot we picked 3 all got sold in one day :D

Next lot is not expected immediately, i will advise go for scout even that is a beautiful cabinet, near about the same price range.

COOLER MASTER EXTREME 600W POWER SUPPLY

Cooler Master Elite RC 310 Case

Corsair XMS2 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz Desktop Memory

ABIT IP35-E MOTHERBOARD

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8400

Power Color HD 4890 1 GB DDR5

is this config any good ? :P

my cousin wants to build a gaming pc.. his budget is around 35k and he has no ps360 :)

ABIT IP35-E MOTHERBOARD

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8400

my cousin wants to build a gaming pc.. his budget is around 35k and he has no ps360 :)

good configuration, PSU is bad though

ABIT IP35-E MOTHERBOARD

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8400

yup bad PSU... try CM silent power 600w @ 6 - 6.5k or corsair vx550 also at same price I guess..

rest all is fab...

good configuration, PSU is bad though

yup bad PSU... try CM silent power 600w @ 6 - 6.5k or corsair vx550 also at same price I guess..

rest all is fab...

cool..

btw is there any major diff between different brands of gfx cards :P like i have msi ati 4890.. so is there any diff between msi n power color 4890 ? :hug:

cool..

btw is there any major diff between different brands of gfx cards :helpsmilie: like i have msi ati 4890.. so is there any diff between msi n power color 4890 ? :happydance:

Not much but yeah some brands give a better bundle like games , software etc. and also fancy looking and sometimes effective heat sink and fan combo.

But all manufacturers have to stick with same manufacturing design and standard for each GPU designed by Nvidia and ATI.

Like brands like XFX , EVGA , ASUS , MSI etc. are considered better than brands like Zotac , POV etc.. are generally a little expensive as well.