360 to match PS3's 10-year lifecycle

360 to match PS3's 10-year lifecycle, says Kim

Shane Kim, Microsoft's corporate VP in charge of strategy and business for Interactive Entertainment, was unsurprisingly upbeat about his company's performance at E3 this year, and revealed that Microsoft was working on a ten-year lifecycle for the Xbox 360 - vocalising for the first time a similar strategy to Sony's long-held plans.

Kim, talking to Venturebeat, explained that Microsoft saw motion control system Project Natal as something that would fit mid-cycle into the console's lifetime.

"We firmly believe that the Xbox 360 has a life cycle through 2015 (ten years after the launch)," he said. "Project Natal is a great innovation. It will work with every Xbox 360 sold.

"It's not about pushing more pixels on the screen," he said, referring specifically to Natal, "It's about how to break down barriers that stop people from playing games."

And when asked who he felt performed best out of the three platform holders in their respective press conferences, he was clear:

"I think we won," he said. "It's not just me saying that. It's pretty universal. We had something very special yesterday, starting with the games portfolio.

"We had a lot of content for a normal E3 briefing. But Project Natal doesn't come along every year, and it is very difficult to match."

More information on Project Natal is available in the GamesIndustry.bizpress conference coverage.

^^ the ps3 wont last for 10 years, and im damn sure about that. After 2010 theres absolutely nothing in store for it. Perhaps killzone3, final fantasty XIV which is mmo, and GT5 which is another DNF imo and thats it. And since mulitplatforms are better on the 360 anyway ,i dont see how its going to exist till 2016 when its already getting screwed everywhere.

^^ the ps3 wont last for 10 years, and im damn sure about that. After 2010 theres absolutely nothing in store for it. Perhaps killzone3, final fantasty XIV which is mmo, and GT5 which is another DNF imo and thats it. And since mulitplatforms are better on the 360 anyway ,i dont see how its going to exist till 2016 when its already getting screwed everywhere.

forza 3 is 2 discs. blu ray is the no 1 format now. incase you dont know.

so i dont think 360 can handle big games in the future.

@saha

the thread is about if 360 will be able to last the 10 year period

:fear:

another console wars thread in the making. lol

forza 3 is 2 discs. blu ray is the no 1 format now. incase you dont know.

so i dont think 360 can handle big games in the future.

who said forza 3 is coming in 2 discs, someone jes posted a posibble rumor in that thead and u are posting it like its a fact here :fear: sad.

@saha

the thread is about if 360 will be able to last the 10 year period

another console wars thread in the making. lol

i meant that it was getting "screwed" in sales.

who said forza 3 is coming in 2 discs, someone jes posted a posibble rumor in that thead and u are posting it like its a fact here :hi2: sad.

i guess if they can fix the RROD and other assorted problems there's no reason why the hardware and current status quo of multi-disc games for the 360 will not last for 10 years!

maybe ten years is wishful thinking but another five years is definitely in the picture so current three + five more equals 8 or so odd years! pretty impressive!

or maybe they will extend the support beyond the three year period...ultimately achieves the same thing.

gonna be interesting to see how MS goes about it...

i guess if they can fix the RROD and other assorted problems there's no reason why the hardware and current status quo of multi-disc games for the 360 will not last for 10 years!

maybe ten years is wishful thinking but another five years is definitely in the picture so current three + five more equals 8 or so odd years! pretty impressive!

or maybe they will extend the support beyond the three year period...ultimately achieves the same thing.

they said 10 yrs form launch......it will last till 2015..........

stop posting flamebaits like this in all threads you see ,, there is a proper place to do that .. CW thread ..

lamers like you turn every thread into CW..

And Karoo ,dont stoop to his levels everytime he posts, ignore him .. remember "Ignorance is a bliss"

if only they release some kind of adapter to allow a user to put any hdd he wants and going completely digital after two years will free them from limitations of the optical media..

also 10 years life doesnt mean there wont be a new xbox till 2016 .. chances are it may come in 2011 and they will keep supporting x360 even when it comes .So thats how its gonna have 10 years life .Infact when ps3 launched ps2 was 6 years old and somethin similar may happen for xbox too ..

"We firmly believe that the Xbox 360 has a life cycle through 2015 (ten years after the launch),"

Thats comforting to know. And they have a good track record of letting a console live out its fullest, you know like they did with the old Xbox. Ohwaitaminute.

TBH It would be kinda boring not having new consoles in a couple of years. Do you guys really want to be playing on the 360 and PS3 four years from now? Never even mind the fact that it would kill of the GPU sales in the PC industry.

So thanks but no thanks. New Xbox in 2011 please.

Edit Well, way to piss on my point by getting there first John.

/Stab.

:huh:

Archived