h-103_74915_1.jpg.jpg

Trauma Center: New Blood

Developer: Atlus

Publisher: Atlus

Genre: Simulation

Platform: Wii

Release: Nov 13 2007

Vids: not yet released

This sequel to the Wii/DS surgeon sim follows both Dr. Markus Vaughn and Valerie Blaylock, two Alaskan surgeons with the Healing Touch who are recruited into the Concordia Medical Institute after their local facilities closes down. Once there, they learn that the doctors on staff are regularly more concerned with maintaining their excessive lifestyles than they are with the patients they tend to. Markus and Valerie are eventually taken into a government organization known as Caduceus, where they begin to learn about a vast conspiracy. The game comes complete with a fully functioning two-player cooperative mode in which gamers will have full control over each character, both operating with all their tools at the same time. The characters are brought to life with full voice work, there is an online score ranking system, and the game offers 480p and 16:9 widescreen modes.

941965_20070713_screen002.jpg

941965_20070713_screen005.jpg

• 2 months later...

IGN review

http://wii.ign.com/articles/835/835977p1.html

Closing Comments

There’s a trend developing with New Blood: More of the same, but improved overall. That general rule can be used in almost every facet of the game, and it’s really a testament to the solid design Atlus has on its hands. No global changes were needed, but the new game has more depth in gameplay, added multiplayer support, online ranking, more VO, and better overall story, improved presentation – now with 16:9 as well as the previously included 480p – a larger span of difficulty on both the easy and hard side of thins, and a fresh coat of polish around the entire package. There’s more to improve on, including full-fledged online play, a larger array of Healing Touch abilities, improved storytelling – static images and painted backdrops aren’t exactly engaging – and the lingering possibility of amazing DS-to-Wii connectivity that could come with a new wave of handheld and console versions of the game, but we’re getting to the point where most of our issues with Trauma Center are less actual complaints or flaws in the game, and more just general ways to make the next version even better. We put this one on our Holiday Buyer’s Guide for a reason, as Trauma Center is easily one of the best third party games on Wii this year.

Games like New Blood fit the Wii almost perfectly, and even after blowing through two full games during the system’s first year we’re still asking for more, as there’s simply no denying the franchise’s motion/IR appeal. We could write volumes on why this game works, but it wouldn’t change the simple fact that it just does, so rather than read about the game you’d be better off grabbing a copy (and a friend) and just diving into one of the best pure gameplay experiences Wii has to offer. Trauma Center: New Blood is the best in the series, and a must-have for any Wii owner. Buy it, love it, and then beg for more.

8.0 Presentation

Better than the previous version with 16:9 display, more VO, and a crisp storyboard style. Could still be improved greatly, but improved nonetheless.

7.5 Graphics

Widescreen adds to the visual style, and while the game looks very similar to last year’s effort it makes use of more backdrops and locales, and more “levels” to operate in.

7.5 Sound

A huge improvement in both amount and quality of VO. The general sound design is similar, but also offers a larger soundtrack.

8.5 Gameplay

Gameplay remains virtually unchanged, but new tools and techniques add depth. Co-op mode is awesome, as are the new story-less “challenge” stages.

8.0 Lasting Appeal

Online rankings make an appearance this year, as does the ability to play three difficulty levels (that really change the experience), two doctors, co-op, and challenge missions.

Great OVERALL

(out of 10 / not an average)

i still haven't finished the first one,so this'll have to wait.

• 1 month later...

i played trauma center second opinion man i really love this game....it really needs stable hands....this game is really good...most unique and innovative game i have evere played i will finish this game soon

u sure should man....2 days i have already played this game for hours and still seem to live it.....besides shooters and all this is the first game i love ..i hate anime things but in this game i kinda love the characters as well.....

Archived