XBOX LIVE Resource (FAQ)

Invictus

Q1. How to connect xbox 360 to XBL?

Ans. Get a broadband internet connection(preferably 512mbps and above) and share it between your PC and xbox360 or connect directly to the console. Get a gamertag and subscribe for gold membership.

Q2. How do I share a Broadband internet connection with my PC?

Ans. To share an internet connection the PC should have 2 ethernet cards(NIC). Let NIC1 be connected to your modem/router and NIC2 connected to your console via a cross cat network cable. Now Run ipconfig/all in the command prompt in your PC. Not down following details

IP Address(for NIC1) eg 102.103.111.122

Subnet Mask(for NIC1) eg 255.255.255.0

Primary DNS

Secondary DNS

Now go to the Network Settings in console setup and do the following.

1. Turn IP address to manual and fill in a value +1 to the IP address of NIC1. eg if NIC1's IP address is 102.103.111.122 then in console put 102.103.111.123

2. For Gateway fill in the NIC1's IP address as it is.

3. For Subnet fill in the same value as subnet mask from NIC1

4. For Primary DNS fill the value from ipconfig screen

5. For Secondary DNS fill the value from ipconfig screen

Now Run the Test connection utility and you are set

Q3. How to connect modem directly to the console?

Ans.

1. Turn the console off, then turn off your modem and disconnect the modem from its power source.

2. Connect one end of the Ethernet cable (included in the Premium package) to the Ethernet port on the back of your console.

3. Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the LAN port on your modem. Your modem's LAN port may be labeled LAN, Ethernet, or with a number.

4. Turn on your console.

5. Wait 30 seconds and turn on your modem.

6. In the System Area of the Xbox 360 Dashboard, select Network Settings.

7. Select Manual

8. Enter the following information (the addresses provided are just for illustration. these should be provided by the respective ISPs )

IP Address : 192.168.0.2

Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway : 192.168.0.1

DNS server (Primary): 192.168.0.1

DNS server (Secondary): 192.168.0.1

9. Once it is done, it will ask you whether to ‘Test Media’ or ‘Test Xbox Live’, select the latter.

10. Once it shows your Network Adapter as 'connected ' and your IP Address and DNS as 'confirmed', you're good to go.

Q4. What is the difference between Gold membership and Silver membership

Ans. Every xbox360 owner is entitled to have silver membership for free. It includes downloading demoes for free and few rare marketplace downloads for silver memberships. It doesnot have a provision to Play online.

Gold membership is a paid membership in which the subscriber can download content launched exclusively for Gold members, maintain friends list and most importantly play online.

Quite a few downloads eg demoes and Trailers are kept for Gold subscribers only for sometime and later on released for silver subscribers.

Q5. What are Microsoft Points, Gamer Points and their relevance?

Ans. Microsoft Points are the currency you use in XBL to buy stuff which is not free, eg Gamer Pics, Themes, Game Mappacks, Game addons, Arcade games etc

Gamer Points are the points you earn when you unlock certain achievement in a game. It has no monetary significance. You cannot buy anything using Gamer Points! Its a mere representation of your game completion.

Q6. How do i create a Gamer Tag applicable for XBL?

Ans. Currently XBL is not available in India(official launch speculated to be around Halo3 launch). So Create a profile using your region as the one which has XBL offically eg, USA, UK, Australia blah blah so on and so forth. Beware! Once the profile is created you cannot change your region

Profiles can directly be created using the XBL. Be wary while filling in the addresses and postal codes. Use google to search US/UK addresses and use them. Most of us do the same and we have not been jailed yet

Q7. How do i get gold membership for free?

Ans. Get yourself a Premium console. It by default has 1 months free gold membership available. This can be used again n again if you delete your previous GT and make a new GT and apply again. This trick works for certain number of times only. After that the trick is to shell out some cash :lol:

Certain Regular members have won some gold membership cards given away by some generous 360i mods/members so be good!

Q8. How do i pay for gold membership?

Ans. Gold membership is available in several packages but recommended ones are 3 months or 1 Month Packs(XBL will be here in INDIA in september then you can enjoy official packages).

There are two ways of getting gold memberships

1. Get a gold membership prepaid card over the net. You can try following URLs

http://stores.ebay.com/Netdirectbargains

2. Pay through credit card directly using your console(while registering/creating profile) or through live.xbox.com and logging into your GT profile.

Q9. Ho do i pay for Marketplace Points?

Ans. Prepaid marketplace points available over the net

http://myworld.ebay.com/lawadvocate/

urls needed

Pay through CC using your console while logged into you live account or through live.xbox.com while logged in.

Q10. How can i change my GT's region

Ans. You cannot do that!

Q11. How do i change my GT

Ans. Pay 800 MSpoints and you can modify your GT. You can use our console or log in to live.xbox.com

Q12. Is there a provision to transfer my game saves,gamerpoints, content from one GT to another?

Ans. Game saves and gamer points are locked to a GT and wont reflect for another GT on the same console. However contents like demoes, gametrailers, arcade games are accessible from any GT on the same console.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troubleshooting

Q1. During Test connection utility my Network Adapter test failed

Ans. Check the Ethernet card your console is connected to. Be sure that the ethernet cable is in working condition.

Q2. IP address check fails.

Ans. Check that the IPaddress being used, is for NIC to which your internet is connected and not to which your console is connected. If it still doesnt work, Try keeping it on 'Automatic'

Q3. DNS Check fails

Ans. Make sure the Primary and Secondary DNS entries are perfect. If it still doesnt work Try keeping it on 'Automatic'

Q4. MTU test fails

Ans. Xbox Live requires a minimum MTU setting of 1364, so your router or gateway's MTU must be greater than or equal to 1365. If it's less than 1365 you won't be able to connect to Xbox Live.

Use the following command at the Operating System prompt (type 'cmd' in the 'run...' dialog box)

ping -f -l 1472 <IP Address>

If this PING passes successfully you will get a reply from the IP address specified. If the packet was too large you will get.the message:

"Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set"

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/280

Change the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) Size

OR

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283165

How to change the PPPoE MTU size in Windows XP

Q5. Everytime i try to download things off the marketplace i get 'Not available for your region' error

Ans. XBL has identified you as a sneaking bitch! This happens when you are stayin in INDIA and using US gt and trying to buy content which is region locked for US(like movies, TV series' etc). In short XBL now identifies regions based on your IP and not your profile. So you can not bypass this. Be happy that gaming,demoes and game trailers are not region locked.

Tried Adding as much as i could remember. Will keep updating. Feel free to cast doubts. But go through the above post and be sure that you have done all you could

• 1 month later...

i'd recommend ebay.com - but read the fineprint carefully, some gold codes can only be used to create a new gamertag and others are region locked. you would need a code that works with an *existing* *UK* gamertag.

V

Q10. How can i change my GT's region

Ans. You cannot do that!

What does the above mean????

does it mean if i use a US or UK Region forXBL i shall not be able to change it to India after XBL live comes to India???is that correct

no, you can change your locale from the settings blade. BUT if you register a gamertag with a US/UK address it will be locked to that region (you will only be able to renew your xbl subscription & purchase marketplace points from US retailers/etailers)

V

I also want to to how to activate the free One Month Gold subscription as i have purchased the 360 Pro?

Does it get activated by default or should i perform few steps??

you have to create a gamertag and then connect to live (check the faq on how to configure your 360/pc to accomplish this) and redeem the code from there.

V

you have to create a gamertag and then connect to live (check the faq on how to configure your 360/pc to accomplish this) and redeem the code from there.

V

but what i am asking is that will it automatically give me one month free subscription or should i enter any code as u said, if yes where do i get that code

no, you can change your locale from the settings blade. BUT if you register a gamertag with a US/UK address it will be locked to that region (you will only be able to renew your xbl subscription & purchase marketplace points from US retailers/etailers)

V

thanks for u reply,

So what would u sugest, shall i wait for the India live launch or is it ok if i use any region

V

thanks for u reply,

So what would u sugest, shall i wait for the India live launch or is it ok if i use any region

create a gamertag with a spoofed US/UK address and use your free 1month trial for now. if/when live launches in india, you can evaluate the pricing/benefits to see if you want to create a new Indian Gamertag and use that as your permanent identity or continue with your UK/US gamertag.

V

create a gamertag with a spoofed US/UK address and use your free 1month trial for now. if/when live launches in india, you can evaluate the pricing/benefits to see if you want to create a new Indian Gamertag and use that as your permanent identity or continue with your UK/US gamertag.

One last Q....

what is the disadvantage of activating my XBL with a UK or US region....

One last Q....

what is the disadvantage of activating my XBL with a UK or US region....

with a US region the disadv is tht u cant buy MS points .... but there doesnt seem to be a disadv with the UK region.... hence im gonna be making a new UK gt....

Archived