Sign in to follow this  
HundredProofSam

Movie Discussion Thread

Back from Joker. An amazing, amazing movie. Joaquin Phoenix either matches or even tops Heath Ledger's performance as Joker. While Ledger's Joker was the whole "Animal" and "Agent of Chaos" thing, Phoenix actually provided the performance worthy of "The Clown Prince of Crime". This is no animal or random villain, but rather an actual real person with obvious mental problems. And the scary part - it is highly understandable why people thought that the movie would promote violence. If you watch the movie - even you as a sane person, might at some level find yourself supporting the Joker. Joaquin Phoenix's acting is just so awesome and the story is so amazing.

This movie also provides the answer to why Batman just always captures Joker and drops him off in Arkham Asylum again and again like an idiot in the comics. Joker is an obviously troubled individual and at some level you do feel sorry for him. The final part of the movie - where Phoenix's character ultimately - once and for all - descends into the character of the Joker is a spine chilling moment.

And the thing about this movie is, this kind of transformation could happen to any troubled and mentally sick individual.

Highly urge you guys to watch this movie. It's just amazing and one of the absolute best movies of the year. One of the highest contenders to win the Best Picture of the Oscars and if it should win - it would be very much deserved, simply due to the quality of the acting and the overall movie itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

Back from Joker. An amazing, amazing movie. Joaquin Phoenix either matches or even tops Heath Ledger's performance as Joker. While Ledger's Joker was the whole "Animal" and "Agent of Chaos" thing, Phoenix actually provided the performance worthy of "The Clown Prince of Crime". This is no animal or random villain, but rather an actual real person with obvious mental problems. And the scary part - it is highly understandable why people thought that the movie would promote violence. If you watch the movie - even you as a sane person, might at some level find yourself supporting the Joker. Joaquin Phoenix's acting is just so awesome and the story is so amazing.

This movie also provides the answer to why Batman just always captures Joker and drops him off in Arkham Asylum again and again like an idiot in the comics. Joker is an obviously troubled individual and at some level you do feel sorry for him. The final part of the movie - where Phoenix's character ultimately - once and for all - descends into the character of the Joker is a spine chilling moment.

And the thing about this movie is, this kind of transformation could happen to any troubled and mentally sick individual.

Highly urge you guys to watch this movie. It's just amazing and one of the absolute best movies of the year. One of the highest contenders to win the Best Picture of the Oscars and if it should win - it would be very much deserved, simply due to the quality of the acting and the overall movie itself.

Very well put. I actually found myself sympathising with joker by the end of the movie. This is one of those movies which gets better with every watch. In fact, I'll probably go again this weekend. Joaquin went to extreme lengths for this role and it f**king shows. Honestly one of the best performances I've ever seen.

Although, I don't support people saying it'll promote violence. People who get provoked to do violence from a movie are already deranged and need help regardless of the movie existing. Shouldn't give support to the ridiculous people saying a movie like this shouldn't exist. 

2 hours ago, roun90 said:

The final part of the movie - where Phoenix's character ultimately - once and for all - descends into the character of the Joker is a spine chilling moment.

This. One of the best moments. Also, I love the way he 'descends' (like you mentioned) into becoming the Joker. Very gradual but substantial at the same time with each passing scene.

2 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Movie had so many goosebumps inducing moments!

This.

2 hours ago, Big Boss said:

Yeah that message was f**king annoying.

This.

2 hours ago, Sach4life said:

+1..felt like walking out in the first 5-10 minutes

This. So. Much. Then I remembered the amount I paid for the movie and sat on the chair quietly, with a frown.

Also wtf at this stupid trend about shooting or taking pics of the start of the movie and posting it on social media like a dumbass. Almost everyone did it and then kept checking their likes or views etc. People are getting stupider day by day due to social media.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Also wtf at this stupid trend about shooting or taking pics of the start of the movie and posting it on social media like a dumbass. Almost everyone did it and then kept checking their likes or views etc. People are getting stupider day by day due to social media.

Yep, pretty distracting and idiotic. I mean, just post your thoughts after the movie. People don't have to know that you are watching it right now. 

10 hours ago, adity said:

Although, I don't support people saying it'll promote violence. People who get provoked to do violence from a movie are already deranged and need help regardless of the movie existing. Shouldn't give support to the ridiculous people saying a movie like this shouldn't exist. 

Exactly what I said. You and me are not going on a violence spree. But it has the potential to spread violence in already mentally ill people (Like Phoenix's character - which does exist IRL). This movie has the potential to give the last bit of confidence to mentally sick people and complete a**holes like those school shooters and the other random violence thugs.

11 hours ago, Sach4life said:

+1..felt like walking out in the first 5-10 minutes

Lol absolute same. That pathetic message felt like it was covering the bottom 1/3rd of the screen. In my screen, to make things worse - many times the images were zoomed in, making the head or sides of the movie cut off. Pathetic cinema screen quality, especially for the high prices they charged. But then, the theater operators did agree to refund us the amount completely. So I guess I can't complain. Will watch the movie once again later on a better quality without those annoying ads. The movie deserves a repeat watch anyway.

One thing I still don't understand - why doesn't the govt. divest itself from ITC and put control on cigs instead of irritating us with these pathetic messages continuously? But shouldn't discuss this here I guess.

@Big Boss Ours was better. No one took photos at the movie like yours. But there was a fight to claim refund for the zoomed in movie, and people took pics of that.

And that too on Gandhi Jayanti. It really felt as Joker was there and enjoying every moment of it lol

Edited by roun90

1 hour ago, Big Boss said:

would like to add constant phone ringing, people actually picking up calls and talking, random chit chatting

Watched Joker last night. Thought it was decent.

While it has some really excellent cinematography, nice pacing and a great performance from Joaquin Phoenix, I was still left disappointed overall.

Like someone has already said, the story is definitely lacking and so is the characterization. The movie feels superficial, tame and also kinda juvenile at times, which I wouldn't have found issue with if the movie wasn't a self-serious drama.

Even when Joker does some terrible things in the movie, I was feeling indifferent to it all, which I really shouldn't be.

The movie definitely wears its inspirations on its sleeve which makes it impossible to not make direct comparisons to Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. And let me just say that it ends up coming across as more of a wannabe. This is probably pretty close to what a Bollywood remake of Taxi Driver would be like.

Unlike in those movies (or even in Nightcrawler), I didn't find the main character too compelling either. I was even left wondering if they had gone full-retard with him at times. I wasn't a fan of his "medical condition" plot device. It was overdone, over-the-top and just kinda lame. Nightcrawler's Lou Bloom was a much better and much more chilling sociopathic protagonist who actually made me feel uncomfortable with how sick he could get.

I really wanted to love this movie and was hoping it would take its place alongside TDK and Logan. But sadly, that wasn't the case for me.

All that said, I guess the movie still kept me entertained for most of its duration and it does have a few great moments. So it's definitely still watchable.

There is one bit in particular towards the end which gave me goosebumps for 4-5 seconds straight. The imagery and the accompanying background music were pretty awesome!

• Like 3

Agreed

What they should do is make a sequel with more him in the Joker character. I haven't felt such goosebumps in the last 20 or so minutes in a long time, What would work for the sequel is you are more attached to the character than ever before.

1 hour ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Watched Joker last night. Thought it was decent.

While it has some really excellent cinematography, nice pacing and a great performance from Joaquin Phoenix, I was still left disappointed overall.

Like someone has already said, the story is definitely lacking and so is the characterization. The movie feels superficial, tame and also kinda juvenile at times, which I wouldn't have found issue with if the movie wasn't a self-serious drama.

Even when Joker does some terrible things in the movie, I was feeling indifferent to it all, which I really shouldn't be.

The movie definitely wears its inspirations on its sleeve which makes it impossible to not make direct comparisons to Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. And let me just say that it ends up coming across as more of a wannabe. This is probably pretty close to what a Bollywood remake of Taxi Driver would be like.

Unlike in those movies (or even in Nightcrawler), I didn't find the main character too compelling either. I was even left wondering if they had gone full-retard with him at times. I wasn't a fan of his "medical condition" plot device. It was overdone, over-the-top and just kinda lame. Nightcrawler's Lou Bloom was a much better and much more chilling sociopathic protagonist who actually made me feel uncomfortable with how sick he could get.

I really wanted to love this movie and was hoping it would take its place alongside TDK and Logan. But sadly, that wasn't the case for me.

All that said, I guess the movie still kept me entertained for most of its duration and it does have a few great moments. So it's definitely still watchable.

There is one bit in particular towards the end which gave me goosebumps for 4-5 seconds straight. The imagery and the accompanying background music were pretty awesome!

The movie was lacking memorable dialogies/scenes like the "you talking to me" scene in taxi driver. I think some internal monologue like taxi driver would've helped. The movie was going for more visual storytelling which also worked to some extent. 

I believe this movie will definitely get better with repeat viewings. The scenes were very rich in detail. Right now it's a solid 8/10 for me. However, phoenix's performance is very one of the best. 

15 minutes ago, adity said:

The movie was lacking memorable dialogies/scenes like the "you talking to me" scene in taxi driver. I think some internal monologue like taxi driver would've helped. The movie was going for more visual storytelling which also worked to some extent. 

I believe this movie will definitely get better with repeat viewings. The scenes were very rich in detail. Right now it's a solid 8/10 for me. However, phoenix's performance is very one of the best. 

I frankly considered this movie an actual example of "Show; Don't Tell". That is the hallmark of good acting and the movie is far more better for it. Most of the movies these days generally go for the opposite "Keep on Telling; Don't Show". Thus you see tons of sarcastic dialogue, so called memorable one-liners that are excellent for making memes out of etc.

Here, just observe the character. Would love to discuss more but can't discuss it much without spoilers. Simply see Phoenix. Observe him throughout the movie. And observe him when he finally becomes the Joker. There is no corny one-liners like "Let's Burn everything" or anything else. But just see his body language and his face. Just from that, you can actually see that he is going more and more down until finally you know that he is too far gone. There is no coming back anymore.

Hence, this is a movie that must be seen. And it can be seen multiple times. The face and the body tells the story here. Not the mouth. Just like good live dramas, where the actors have to perfectly act and can't rely on just the dialogue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

I frankly considered this movie an actual example of "Show; Don't Tell". That is the hallmark of good acting and the movie is far more better for it. Most of the movies these days generally go for the opposite "Keep on Telling; Don't Show". Thus you see tons of sarcastic dialogue, so called memorable one-liners that are excellent for making memes out of etc.

Here, just observe the character. Would love to discuss more but can't discuss it much without spoilers. Simply see Phoenix. Observe him throughout the movie. And observe him when he finally becomes the Joker. There is no corny one-liners like "Let's Burn everything" or anything else. But just see his body language and his face. Just from that, you can actually see that he is going more and more down until finally you know that he is too far gone. There is no coming back anymore.

Hence, this is a movie that must be seen. And it can be seen multiple times. The face and the body tells the story here. Not the mouth. Just like good live dramas, where the actors have to perfectly act and can't rely on just the dialogue.

Yes that's why I said it'll get better with subsequent viewings. There is a lot going on in every scene.