Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HundredProofSam

Movie Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Aercy said:

Note true; in the origin (ancient Egypt days) story Black Adam after getting his powers, killed the tyrant/pharaoh ruling his homeland and took the throne for himself. He was banished by the wizard away from earth and eventually returned to earth 5,000 years later seeking revenge.

 

From Shazam Wiki:

 

Circa 1200 BC, Shazam became a high priest to the pharaoh Ramses II of Egypt. As the wizard grew older, he sought a champion worthy to inherit his powers. The young prince Teth-Adam of Kahndaq (Ramses' son) impressed the wizard with his fairness and decency. But before Shazam could bestow his powers, his daughter Blaze made a deal with the god Set. When Teth-Adam spoke the name "Shazam," instead of gaining the wizard's powers, he was blessed with the power of six Egyptian gods: Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton and Mehen. Thus, though Adam speaks the name "Shazam," he does not draw power from the wizard. Teth-Adam served Egypt for many years, but this duty drew him away from his wife and children in Kahndaq. While he was away, the mad priest, Ahk-ton ravaged Kahndaq and killed Adam's family. The priest was powered by the "Orb of Ra". Adam could not apprehend Ahk-ton, so he entombed his family and returned to the court of Ramses. There he served as Egypt's champion alongside another great wizard, Nabu. Mighty-Adam was a success as a hero for Egypt, but his service kept him away from his wife, Shiruta, and his sons Gon and Hurut.

 

Adam's homeland was destroyed and his family killed by the evil priest Ahk-ton using the Orb of Ra. A disparaged Adam continued to serve in Rameses' court, and allied himself with Prince Khufu (later Hawkman). At this time, he met three travelers from the future: Hawkgirl, Mr. Terrific, and Captain Marvel. Adam felt relieved that his legacy would continue through Marvel, and thought highly of his future counterpart. With the help of these visitors and the wizard Nabu, Adam was able to capture Ahk-ton, whom he killed as retribution for murdering Adam's family.

 

Adam returned to Khandaq and forcefully overthrew the government present there, and appointed himself ruler. The wizard Shazam was made aware of all of these events and, thinking Adam had been corrupted by Blaze, unleashed a powerful spell. He trapped Adam's soul and powers within a powerful scarab rendering Adam's de-powered body, now several hundred years old, into a withered corpse. Shazam then buried both the body and the scarab in the tomb of Rameses II, where he had planned for it to remain for all eternity. In death, the former hero was referred to as "Khem-Adam" ("Black Adam"). Disillusioned by what he perceived as Adam's betrayal, Shazam went several millennia before appointing a second champion to fight evil in his name

 

Sourcehttps://shazam.fandom.com/wiki/Black_Adam

 

Black Adam did serve Ancient Egypt heroically for a long time. It was only the actions of certain villains, death of his family while he was busy saving someone else elsewhere and the wizard Shazam mistaking him corrupted - that led to him being corrupted in reality and becoming the villain "Black Adam" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, puns said:

 

Lol, I watched it too and its one of best WTF movies of all time. Well shot and characters were good but the whole thing was just ...

tr00 tr00

 

the movie was deep, yes, but man, it's f**ked up too

tho i did understand the entire concept of the muvi, but still had to youtube the explanation and sh*t just so to know that i was being right

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, roun90 said:

 

From Shazam Wiki:

 

Circa 1200 BC, Shazam became a high priest to the pharaoh Ramses II of Egypt. As the wizard grew older, he sought a champion worthy to inherit his powers. The young prince Teth-Adam of Kahndaq (Ramses' son) impressed the wizard with his fairness and decency. But before Shazam could bestow his powers, his daughter Blaze made a deal with the god Set. When Teth-Adam spoke the name "Shazam," instead of gaining the wizard's powers, he was blessed with the power of six Egyptian gods: Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton and Mehen. Thus, though Adam speaks the name "Shazam," he does not draw power from the wizard. Teth-Adam served Egypt for many years, but this duty drew him away from his wife and children in Kahndaq. While he was away, the mad priest, Ahk-ton ravaged Kahndaq and killed Adam's family. The priest was powered by the "Orb of Ra". Adam could not apprehend Ahk-ton, so he entombed his family and returned to the court of Ramses. There he served as Egypt's champion alongside another great wizard, Nabu. Mighty-Adam was a success as a hero for Egypt, but his service kept him away from his wife, Shiruta, and his sons Gon and Hurut.

 

Adam's homeland was destroyed and his family killed by the evil priest Ahk-ton using the Orb of Ra. A disparaged Adam continued to serve in Rameses' court, and allied himself with Prince Khufu (later Hawkman). At this time, he met three travelers from the future: Hawkgirl, Mr. Terrific, and Captain Marvel. Adam felt relieved that his legacy would continue through Marvel, and thought highly of his future counterpart. With the help of these visitors and the wizard Nabu, Adam was able to capture Ahk-ton, whom he killed as retribution for murdering Adam's family.

 

Adam returned to Khandaq and forcefully overthrew the government present there, and appointed himself ruler. The wizard Shazam was made aware of all of these events and, thinking Adam had been corrupted by Blaze, unleashed a powerful spell. He trapped Adam's soul and powers within a powerful scarab rendering Adam's de-powered body, now several hundred years old, into a withered corpse. Shazam then buried both the body and the scarab in the tomb of Rameses II, where he had planned for it to remain for all eternity. In death, the former hero was referred to as "Khem-Adam" ("Black Adam"). Disillusioned by what he perceived as Adam's betrayal, Shazam went several millennia before appointing a second champion to fight evil in his name

 

Sourcehttps://shazam.fandom.com/wiki/Black_Adam

 

Black Adam did serve Ancient Egypt heroically for a long time. It was only the actions of certain villains, death of his family while he was busy saving someone else elsewhere and the wizard Shazam mistaking him corrupted - that led to him being corrupted in reality and becoming the villain "Black Adam" 

This is not the original story but a add-on/revisit much later. Found a video that may shed some light to the original story,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Aercy said:

This is not the original story but a add-on/revisit much later. Found a video that may shed some light to the original story,

 

You cannot keep the original story though. DC will always go for the later stories. The original stories are from the 1940-50s and character additions are always to be expected. Even the Shazam/Black Adam movie will go for the later origin stories. If you go by the original stories for example - Superman is only faster than a speeding bullet. He is in no way even remotely comparable in speed to Flash. Yet the later stories give Superman a blank power-up in all attributes as and when the writers want. Current Superman can benchpress the Earth, which would have been absolutely ridiculous to the original Superman reader. In fact, Earth itself has been rebooted countless times, and the original 50s stories are in their own universe.

 

What I posted is the current canon, and DC will most probably go with that until the next revision. I doubt DC (the entire comics division and movie division) and comic readers (outside of purist old-timers) even care about or are interested in the original comics. Outside the monetary value of selling mint condition of the 1st editions that is.

 

Edited by roun90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, roun90 said:

 

You cannot keep the original story though. DC will always go for the later stories. The original stories are from the 1940-50s and character additions are always to be expected. Even the Shazam/Black Adam movie will go for the later origin stories. If you go by the original stories for example - Superman is only faster than a speeding bullet. He is in no way even remotely comparable in speed to Flash. Yet the later stories give Superman a blank power-up in all attributes as and when the writers want. Current Superman can benchpress the Earth, which would have been absolutely ridiculous to the original Suerman reader. In fact, Earth itself has been rebooted countless times, and the original 50s stories are in their own universe.

 

What I posted is the current canon, and DC will most probably go with that until the next revision. I doubt DC (the entire comics division and movie division) and comic readers (outside of purist old-timers) even care about or are interested in the original comics. Outside the monetary value of selling mint condition of the 1st editions that is.

 

My point was calling him superhero is stupid. He is an anti-hero, and through this movie he will be turned to the villain he is. I’m no purist btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aercy said:

My point was calling him superhero is stupid. He is an anti-hero, and through this movie he will be turned to the villain he is. I’m no purist btw.

 

And my point was that changing his origins is doing him a great dis-service. I am not calling Black Adam a super-hero. His actions in the present are inexcusable in many cases. But that in no way changes the fact that he began his career as a super-hero. A super-hero falling into becoming a villain and then rising a bit to become an anti-hero is quite a good story. People are not born as evil from birth. Circumstances bring them there. And the wizard Shazam is not perfect - especially from Black Adam's point of view. This movie will show that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, roun90 said:

 

And my point was that changing his origins is doing him a great dis-service. I am not calling Black Adam a super-hero. His actions in the present are inexcusable in many cases. But that in no way changes the fact that he began his career as a super-hero. A super-hero falling into becoming a villain and then rising a bit to become an anti-hero is quite a good story. People are not born as evil from birth. Circumstances bring them there. And the wizard Shazam is not perfect - especially from Black Adam's point of view. This movie will show that.

I didn’t mean you calling him superhero. Dwayne Johnson called his character outright a superhero, that is what I referred to. It’s same as the Lethal Protector, Venom.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aercy said:

I didn’t mean you calling him superhero. Dwayne Johnson called his character outright a superhero, that is what I referred to. It’s same as the Lethal Protector, Venom.

 

In that case, I apologize for the misunderstanding and I agree with you. Though I don't really know the context in which Dwayne Johnson called him a super hero. Is he himself misunderstanding the character? As in - he has never read about or heard about Shazam/Black Adam, and just sees a heroic role in his script - that being of a super-hero (BA's origin)? Is it that the DC studio itself is twisting the role of Black Adam around - just so Dwayne Johnson will not have to play the role of a villain? We truly don't know until we see the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, roun90 said:

 

In that case, I apologize for the misunderstanding and I agree with you. Though I don't really know the context in which Dwayne Johnson called him a super hero. Is he himself misunderstanding the character? As in - he has never read about or heard about Shazam/Black Adam, and just sees a heroic role in his script - that being of a super-hero (BA's origin)? Is it that the DC studio itself is twisting the role of Black Adam around - just so Dwayne Johnson will not have to play the role of a villain? We truly don't know until we see the movie.

Creative freedom. Whatever works for mass consumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noah Hawley is back on track with Noah Hawley set to write and direct. The cast will also reportedly return, including Chris Pine. 🙏

 

Quote

“Fargo” and “Legion” creator Noah Hawley has been tapped to direct the next installment of the “Star Trek” franchise, sources tell Variety. Though plot details are being kept under wraps, sources tell Variety it is expected to see Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban and Zoe Saldana returning to man the U.S.S. Enterprise.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford v Ferrari in 4DX is f**king balls-to-the-wall amazing!

I mean the movie itself is great and would probably be a good watch in 2D as well but 4DX takes it to a whole another level.

Do yourselves a favour guys and don't miss this movie in 4DX. It can seem a little gimmicky initially but fits the movie like a glove as it goes on (almost like it was meant to be watched in 4DX). It definitely ranks high up in my list of best movie-going experiences.

 

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpearHea:D said:

Holy sh*t, thats one of my fav. books. Buck is such a fantastic example of adopting to situations and unleashing one's true self.

There are 2 books that I can never get bored of. IT and The Call of the Wild. I've read both I don't know how many times but i never tire of them. Can't wait :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...