Sign in to follow this  
HundredProofSam

Movie Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

This was at TIFF and apparently it was terrible. Very over the top headache inducing. 

Yeah, the trailer doesn't really do it any favours either. But it currently has a decent 64% rating on RT, albeit with a low number of reviews.

---------

Anyway, tickets booked for 1917 tomorrow. f**king finally! :D

1917 was good, but not quite as good as I was expecting it to be.

There's no denying that the movie is indeed a technical feat but I was kinda left questioning the merits of making an entire movie like this employ the "one-shot" technique.

It's supposed to make the movie more immersive, but it had the opposite effect on me. I was always aware of what the camera was doing. More so because all the edits were overly obvious which pulled me out of the movie.

Even the set-pieces aren't nearly as tense as the one-shot sequences in something like Children of Men.

I feel the movie would've been better off if they had just used the one-shot for select sequences instead of for the whole thing.  It didn't really add much IMO and ultimately felt like a gimmick, which probably even crippled the movie to an extent.

On the positive side though, both the lead actors are fantastic, the music is great and the movie looks really good (for the most part).

Finally saw 1917, was absolutely worth the wait. The cinematography, the sweeping one-take landscape shots, the music, the incredibly tense moments as the camera pans around with main characters instead of jumping from cut to cut, its brilliant. People say one-shot take is a gimmick (like in God of War or Half Life), but nothing shows the epic journey of the character from start to end and the impact it has on them like a camera view that stays with them for that entire journey. Deakins absolutely has his second Oscar in the pocket.

10 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

1917 was good, but not quite as good as I was expecting it to be.

There's no denying that the movie is indeed a technical feat but I was kinda left questioning the merits of making an entire movie like this employ the "one-shot" technique.

It's supposed to make the movie more immersive, but it had the opposite effect on me. I was always aware of what the camera was doing. More so because all the edits were overly obvious which pulled me out of the movie.

Even the set-pieces aren't nearly as tense as the one-shot sequences in something like Children of Men.

I feel the movie would've been better off if they had just used the one-shot for select sequences instead of for the whole thing.  It didn't really add much IMO and ultimately felt like a gimmick, which probably even crippled the movie to an extent.

On the positive side though, both the lead actors are fantastic, the music is great and the movie looks really good (for the most part).

10 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Finally saw 1917, was absolutely worth the wait. The cinematography, the sweeping one-take landscape shots, the music, the incredibly tense moments as the camera pans around with main characters instead of jumping from cut to cut, its brilliant. People say one-shot take is a gimmick (like in God of War or Half Life), but nothing shows the epic journey of the character from start to end and the impact it has on them like a camera view that stays with them for that entire journey. Deakins absolutely has his second Oscar in the pocket.

:lol:

I still think the movie is worth watching though. So if you guys are interested in it, you should check it out.

The movie didn't blow my mind like I expected it to and I thought the one-shot technique hindered the movie more than it added to it.

But that still doesn't make it a bad movie IMO. The actors have done a great job, the production design is also really good and there are admittedly a couple of brilliant sequences in there. It's just that I probably won't remember much about it a few months down the line, apart from the fact that it was a one-shot war movie.

Also cinematography-wise, I'm sure this was an absolute nightmare to pull off and will surely get an oscar for it (god knows Deakins deserves it for his incredible body of work alone), but comparing the end results on-screen, I'd actually rate Dunkirk much higher than this. Not a big fan of that movie either but its cinematography definitely blew my mind! 

Bong Joon-ho’s Oscar nominated Parasite gets long-awaited India release date

Jan 31

Holy sh*t! :O
Is this the first Korean movie to release here? 
It's in my watch list. Btw people who have seen it just wanna know is it in English or Korean? Or a mix of both.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Bong Joon-ho’s Oscar nominated Parasite gets long-awaited India release date

Jan 31

Holy sh*t! :O
Is this the first Korean movie to release here? 
It's in my watch list. Btw people who have seen it just wanna know is it in English or Korean? Or a mix of both.

16 minutes ago, harsh1387 said:

Apart from a couple of very short lines, it's entirely in Korean.

--------