Darksiders

Tinbin007

^^but it isn't look that good. just look at the WAR (hero). But I am getting this bcoz it looks exactly my type of game :)

dante77 :P .... are you drunk or something and hallucinating :wub: ..... the graphics rock solid for this game bro ...

I know but its not like next-gen graphics. btw, the game looks AWESOME :threatenlumber:

arey for next-gen graphics we have gow3 na so why u in rush for truely next-gen graphics ..... now stop comparing everything to mgs4 ..... :naughty:

today im really disappointed by the guy from vigil games ... and my interest in this game just saw a downfall the types our sensex had seen sometime back ....

heres why : http://g4tv.com/videos/39145/Darksiders-E3...ctor-Interview/

modern weapons and guns ... who asked for these *ranting*...... guy says great physics ull see like when you chop a head ull see it rolling down the hill - also many more funny things .... f**k how did he found these things to be funny and funny things my a*s this game not at all supposed to be funny you a*s - i just hope they manage to get gr8 gameplay now thats all i hope for from this game ....

it looks pretty good and the artwork is true J.Mad style (I am getting flashes of Onslaught). I just don't know how concrete the gameplay is going to be considering that it may flash now but will it stick to its guns later. Only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Darksiders Preview By Kotaku

The first game we've ever been told will include a "badass door" is also scheduled to be the first game released in 2010. And so much of it seems so familiar.

Pay no attention to the 2010 release dates for the next of mythical action champ God of War and the game already occupying the spot of number one contender, Dante's Inferno. They're going to be beat, on the calendar, at least, by another titanic, mythological struggle wrestled into game form, Darksiders.

THQ's epic-in-the-making is forging an identity shaped by many other games. But can it do more than match their features? Can it boast a worth and allure of its own?

What Is It?

Darksiders is a long-in-development (I saw it at E3 2007) action-adventure game from Vigil Games set for 1/1/10 release on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Players control War, one of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse, whose possibly erroneous summoning to Earth ignited the end of the world and made War the enemy of demons and angels. Fighting and exploring a hub-and-dungeon world — that's the Zelda connection — War must claim key items and develop his arsenal in order to stay alive and get vengeance for whoever set in motion the events that set Heaven and Hell at his throat.

What We Saw

THQ brought the game's E3 build to New York, allowing me to re-play the portion Crecente tried during his May pre-E3 event as well as watch the parts that reminded me of Panzer Dragoon, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Gears of War and games starring The Incredible Hulk.

How Far Along Is It?

The game's set for 1/1/10 release, but the slices I saw looked feature-complete.

What Needs Improvement?

The Unique Parts: Darksiders isn't going to be released for a while, so it's no tragedy that the game is currently pitched and shown with a bunch of obvious references to other games. The crossblade War can hurl can be aimed and locked onto multiple targets as well as ferry elements like fire from one target to the next. That capability is used to beat a winged big-breasted she-bat boss in Darksiders but that looked ripped from the boomerang of recent Zeldas. War can arm himself with limited-use demon weapons like a cannon which fires molten spears that he carries low, next to his right thigh like he's got a heavy weapon in Halo 3. A one-time-only flight sequence resembles Panzer Dragoon. Even War's horse, which is gained a third of the way into the game, may have flaming hooves to distinguish itself from Ocarina's Epona but still seems like an idea borrowed rather than borne. The borrowing of ideas isn't inherently bad, but it would be a pity if the onslaught of homage suppresses the expression of a Darksiders identity of its own. This is, after all, a game that includes the procurement of angel technology. More of that, please.

What Should Stay The Same?

Cornucopia of Chaos-Causers: More so than God of War's Kratos, War is armed with a wonderfully absurd arsenal. He's got a big sword and that throwable boomerang-blade. He's also got demonic guns, a gauntlet, all kinds of enemy-specific one-button kills (like squashing an attacking undead guy's head in his fist), the aforementioned cannon of glowing-red spears, a horse he can call on that will race under him and catch him if he summons it while he's in mid-air freefall, an impressive red-and-black walking brimstone havoc form and plenty more. This game might give Devil May Cry 4 a run for offering the most ways to fight unrelenting hordes, and just about every technique offered is impressive, in that macho death-dealing kind of way.

Comic Book Style: The game is promoted as the realization of comic book artist Joe Madureira's creative vision. Not surprising, to those who have seen Madureira's art, characters are chunky, with big boots and gauntlets sporting something of an Asian warrior Manga influence. The characters – if not the landscape – are colorful, and everything is aggressive and fantastic at the same time. The game's visual muscles are constantly flexed, showing even what would be a boring door in another game as an impressive (badass?) living rock door giant. The imagination in the visuals is there on the surface and rendered with undeniable enthusiasm.

Final Thoughts

Darksiders controlled just fine when I played it, but I lean toward an innovation-bias. I want to see what's new. Darksiders currently feels built upon what has been. That foundation is solid as there were no glaring weakness in what THQ has been showing. But what should earn Darksiders attention for itself?

It's the game's fiction that stands the best chance of breaking out. At the right moment, it seems like it can. But if that moment would be early next year during the lead-up to the release of God of War III isn't so certain. Darksiders will have to be even more convincing that it can be a fun and satisfying game that can prove it's worthy of a following.

Looks Good.... and thank God it's slated for a release earlier than God of War 3 :dance:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

IGN AU interview : Joe Madureira

IGN AU: Tell me a little bit about your background in the games industry – you formed Tri-Lunar seven or eight years ago, for instance. What happened with that and how did Vigil come into being?

Joe Madureira: I did found Tri-Lunar. We were working on a game called Dragonkind, and we ended up having to shutdown because of a lack of funding. But the cool thing about it is that I met a lot of cool people, and we stayed in touch, and I was able to basically stay in the game industry, doing contract work for a little while and then getting hired on by a studio called Realm, which was based in Arizona. They got bought by NCsoft, which caused me to move out to Austin, Texas, and then we had creative differences at NCsoft, so some of us left and started Vigil. And that's how Vigil and Darksiders came about.

IGN AU: Have you always been a gamer? Is that what drove you to want to create games?

Joe Madureira: I've always been a gamer. Since I got my Atari 2600, Commodore 64, Amiga - I had the PAL chip in my Amiga so I could play the European stuff. And back then, I mean, there was the BBC [Micro] and all these bootleg games were running rampant, so I was able to play games from other countries that we normally wouldn't have access to in the States. I was about as hardcore into games as you could possibly be. I bought game soundtracks and that's what I listened to at work, and I had the Neo Geo with the big giant cartridges... Magician Lord, Samurai Shodown II...

IGN AU: In some ways Darksiders really is a homage to classic game design. We can really see the Zelda influence in the game, for instance, and I think it's quite refreshing that it embraces the idea that there are archetypes in the games industry that work really really well, and you can come along and be inspired by those but still do your own unique take on it. Is that how you viewed the game design?

Joe Madureira: Yeah, definitely. You always, as a kid, or as a consumer, have your ideas of 'man, if I could make this game, I'd do blah with it', and so, we were given that chance, and a lot of games, like Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, they all have a lot of similarities in the way that they're structured and how the puzzles work and everything, so those are some of our favourite games. But of course, like you mentioned, you have to put your own spin on it, and there was a lot that we wanted to bring to it. There's definitely a darker story, darker themes, more, I guess, mature content. It's kinda like-

IGN AU: -Zelda meets Old Testament?

Joe Madureira: (laughs) Yeah, I mean, we did play down the religious aspects as much as we could, just because we wanted it to appeal to as many people as we could, regardless of what religion you are. It doesn't borrow too heavily from any one religion. We stuck to the concepts like heaven and hell, good and evil, things that pretty much every religion has in common...

IGN AU: In terms of character design, how different is it designing a character for a game, as opposed to a comic? How does the process change?

Joe Madureira: There's a lot more thought that has to go into how the character moves, and what kind of attacks he's got to do. You know, like, if you draw short legs on a guy or goat legs, he's going to walk a certain way. There's certain limitations that we have that you just kinda learn by doing it. Like, 'the animators are going to kill me if I put tentacles on this guy, plus the wings and he's got a tail'. So you think about stuff that way, and comics don't really have that limitation, but on the flipside, you can do more crazy detailed stuff on the game, because you don't have to draw it a million times. For instance, when I [do] have to draw War and his sword it drives me insane, because there's so many faces and skulls and crap on it that it's impossible to keep track of, but in the game I only had to do it once, right, and then he's built and you don't worry about it anymore. Whenever I have to draw him now it's like 'aargh, I wish I'd made his armour simpler', it's impossible to draw this guy!

IGN AU: Can you tell us a little about bringing Eric Williams (who was heavily involved in the combat systems for the first two God of War games) across to work on the project? What insights did he bring and how has the combat system changed?

Joe Madureira: We've been contracting Eric Williams for, I guess it's been about three or four months now, and he's been going through the game, and just refining some of the combat. We had a tonne of moves, y'know, the move trees and the way the combos work, [and it] had a lot of variety, but most people couldn't figure out how to do any of the moves, so it was buried a little too deep. And he's just been going through and restructuring the combo trees and just making sure the moves are a lot easier to execute for someone picking up the controller, without having to open up the big moves list and it's like Up, Up, Left, X, Square.

So that's one thing he's been helping out with, but also the delivery of the moves and the weapons – like, when you get them in the game; at what point, so there's more of a ramping to it. There's just a lot of subtle things that make the game feel a lot better. We borrowed a lot from his experience and he just contributed quite a lot, so I think next time you'll play you'll notice those differences as well.

The best thing about killing the undead is they're already soft and squishy.

IGN AU: The Fracture Cannon is a pretty bad-a*s weapon. Are there any other 'pick up and drop' weapons you can tell us about?

Joe Madureira: We have an angelic one as well... that's more like a fixed beam that does a tonne of damage to one single target, or to a line of targets, whereas the Fracture Cannon is more like area of effect damage.

IGN AU: There are six Gear items in the game, such as the Abyssal Chain and the Cross Blade. Is each one linked to a dungeon, is that how it works?

Joe Madureira: Right. Each dungeon pretty much introduces a new one, and they pretty much always have a combat use and a use in traversal, so the chain, for instance; you can use that to pull yourself up onto certain climbable surfaces, you can pull yourself to large enemies. Smaller enemies, you can pull them to you, so you can use that in combat as well. There are some areas where... you can attach to swing points and swing around. That's pretty fun, actually. And then the Cross Blade; same thing. You can use it as a weapon to hit enemies at range, but you can also use it to transfer fire from one area to another, and things like that, that you'll use in puzzle solving.

IGN AU: And the Gear items aren't unique to each dungeon?

Joe Madureira: Once you get it you can carry it outside of the dungeon, and a lot of times you'll find a use for it back in the overworld, which will help you access a new area. For instance, you may see the Ghost Hook attach points – or the Abyssal Chain points – early on and not know what they're for, and then once you get it, you'll come back. It's classic adventure [design].

IGN AU: And then the further into the game you get, the more tools the player has, and so, the more interesting you can make the puzzles. You can really build up the complexity of what the player's doing as he goes along.

Joe Madureira: Exactly. That's what I like [about it]. Y'know, when we're asked how the game differs from Devil May Cry or God of War, it is important to note that in the linear hack 'n' slash games... the world is shutting down behind you, right? The doors are closing. It's like 'you can play in this small area of the game now', whereas in an adventure game structure, you're actually unlocking more of the world as you go, so the world is actually getting bigger and bigger. So if you have a buddy who says 'hey, did you get that achievement in the church?' you can actually run back and try to get it, whereas in other games you may have to just say 'screw it', or play it again.

IGN AU: The other horsemen of the apocalypse – what roles are they going to play in the final game?

Joe Madureira: They have a very small role in the first one. The crazy initial concept for the game was four player co-op with all the horsemen. We had to reign it in a little bit, just to be realistic. So their role was diminished, but part of the story is still figuring out what role they played if any, and what happened to them after War gets separated from them. They are in the story in that capacity, and hopefully the first game will do really well so we can put them in the sequel. The first game definitely sets the stage for four horsemen craziness.

Come my baby GOW come fast to DADDY .....

+1. I'm really waiting for this game.

BTW Viking also did the "open-world hack-n-slash" thing.

Hmmm ... will definitely check out Viking, if i get a chance too.

Well this one im sure it will leave many of ours appetite wet for GOW3.

Also since Ign has started calling this game a mix of zelda-God of war, my interest has only grown.

• 1 month later...

Video Preview :

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Mayhem Trailer :

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Archived