Nvidia and AMD readying for DirectX 11

Nvidia and AMD are preparing to launch their latest DirectX 11 supporting GPUs in the second half of 2009, according to sources at graphics card makers.

Nvidia is scheduled to complete engineering samples of its DirectX 11-based GT300 GPU at the end of September in order to start shipping in December at the earliest, the sources noted.

Meanwhile, AMD is prepared to launch its DirectX 11-based Radeon HD 5800 series (RV870) in late September and will start mass shipping in October. AMD will launch two models initially, the Radeon HD 5850 and 5870, the sources added.

AMD declined the opportunity to respond to this report saying it cannot comment on unannounced products. Nvidia was also contacted, but did not respond by the time of publication.

500x_cards.jpg

source

dam my 260 gtx is oudated now :P

Think about poor me with an 8800GTX bought at launch time... :/

Oh well, PC's get outdated within three months or so of assembly. Unavoidable unless you have truckloads of cash and an abundance of patience to keep buying new stuff all the time

^^Technology never becomes outdated as much like you guys talk about.A current good budget card such as GTX260 or HD4870 can handle all or most of the games at a playable framerate at a full HD for another 2 years with better graphics than either of the consoles whether its 360 or PS3.It what you guys think that it is outdated but not so in real

It's so simple and comes to this; you spend all your money on games if you are a console gamer and on few on hardware and software if you are pc gamer.At the end what you spend on buying games for console will simply outpace that you spend on both PC software and hardware

• 6 months later...

So apparently the new Nvidia Fermi line up looks....interesting. Here are the specs and info. Link.

Gist of it seems to be -

The site claims to have already benchmarked NVIDIA's latest and has found the GeForce GTX 470 to be five-to-ten per cent faster than AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5850. The range-topping GeForce GTX 480 is said to provide a similar improvement over an AMD ATI Radeon HD 5870.

Which is nice enough as it is but they dont seem to have much to go up against the 5970. And since AMD have been in the market for a while they can probable afford a small price slash on the 5800 line up to make that 10% improvement seem not worthwhile.

Think about poor me with an 8800GTX bought at launch time... :/

Oh well, PC's get outdated within three months or so of assembly. Unavoidable unless you have truckloads of cash and an abundance of patience to keep buying new stuff all the time

I had upgraded only around 6 month back with 9600 Gt !

I'm never turning back for a pc upgrade again! :wallbash:

Archived