Halo 4

Bulovski

If you've seen the "Making Halo 4: First Look" video, you probably noticed two multiplayer maps were revealed: Wraparound and Warhouse.

In the most recent Halo bulletin, 343 Industries community manager Jessica Shea sat down with Halo 4 lead multiplayer map designer along with one of the senior environment artists to talk about the new maps. This week, they focused on the map Wraparound, with next week focused on Warhouse.

Wraparound

Clouds billow past. The sun is blinding. And your mind cannot even begin to comprehend the monstrous scale of the imposing towers that surround you. As your eyes follow the flowing lines of the Forerunner architecture, your body picks up the implied movement and your mind suddenly asks, "Where am I?" The answer comes to you, a subtle whisper hidden within the whistling of the wind: you're inside a tower, suspended in the atmosphere….

You're on Wraparound.

Wraparound was one of the first maps we worked on for Halo 4, and because it was done early in the development process, it went through a few different reboots. From a design perspective, it stayed the same. Visually, though, it became more ornate with each successive iteration.

When the first iteration didn't meet our vision for the Forerunner style, we (literally) went back to the ol' drawing board. Significant progress was made between the second and third iterations, and that's when this particular multiplayer map became an integral part in helping define the visual style of the Forerunner geometry found in Halo 4.

Some of the things we really wanted to push were the impossible scale of being on colossal towers, the complexity of the high-reaching structures, and the familiar yet foreign sky. We also felt it was important to capture a feeling of movement. When you look at a still image of Wraparound, the form pulls your eyes in different directions. Players follow those guiding lines, which helps with traversing this two-tiered playspace.

Stylistically, the philosophy behind the layout of the map is closer to some of the small, symmetrical arenas in Halo: CE, 2, and 3. We wanted something balanced and tuned for competitive play, and something that supports Halo in its purest form: aiming, running, shooting, and jumping.

Jump gaps that you use to get into the center are there so if you find yourself on the losing side of combat, you can drop down, recharge your shields, and regain your composure. Those very same jump gaps also give you that adrenaline-filled moment when you're charging into combat and leaping over the center, confidence soaring that you are, in fact, going to finish the fight.

Yes, you're a humanity-defending, ancient-evil–fighting, codpiece-wearing, cybernetically enhanced super-soldier. And yes, you should have those hero moments where you feel every single bit of that, too.

Back to the map, though. Halls in the center provide long lines of sight. This map is not as powerful for long-range weapons, but, if you look hard enough, you can still find locations where you can use those weapons effectively. The bulk of the combat, as you would expect from a smaller-sized map, is close to mid. But, no matter what happens in the sandbox, this level tends to play out consistently.

The center is a rally point, with the rear disconnected from the front and middle. While you can get there on foot, man cannons are also available to launch you directly into this high-occupancy area. In addition to the established lines of travel, there are a few secret routes that lead from the lower level to the upper center for players who are observant about the angles of the pillars leading to the upper deck.

I can neither confirm nor deny that fancy-schmancy jumping may be involved in those routes. I can say, however, that fancy-schmancy jumping is definitely involved in those routes.

Speaking of confirming and denying, you may be wondering why I'm not sharing new Wraparound in-game screenshots with you. While many of you would say (and have said, AHEM) I enjoy torturing you, the truth is that when we withhold information, there's always a reason why. The two most common reasons are we prefer to only share that which is close to final or final (in order to minimize disappointment if things get changed or potentially pulled) or there is a plan which involves its usage in the future. I'll let you reread the first few paragraphs and determine which one is applicable in this case.

Some Art

imageaxdpicture20122f32.jpg

imageaxdpicture20122f32.jpg

Additional changes to the multiplayer from Reach include a modified score tracking system, with kills now confirmed to be worth 10 "points", with multiplayer games now going up to as much as 400 points. The health bar from Halo: Reach has been removed, possibly indicating the removal of health packs. The radar is now "two dimensional", and doesn't differentiate enemies or friendlies on radar based on their elevation.

The radar is now "two dimensional", and doesn't differentiate enemies or friendlies on radar based on their elevation.

Hmmm is this officially confirmed or guesswork by someone from watching the reveal videos?

I actually liked the Radar in Reach. It worked great and made camping almost impossible. I remember how people used to camp the purple and gold lifts in Construct in H3. Wouldnt honestly have minded if they stuck with it. Most of the people who didnt like it were MLG types and they played without Radar anyway.

LOL MLG playlist isnt really populated by MLG players. :P

Its annoying playing in it not just cause there are some freakishly good players in there who roam around in a party of 4-5 but its also annoying cause any time I play it its full of idiots who blame their team mates for everything.

Its kinda like the morons in BF3 typing "omg noob team" while playing as a sniper sitting a mile away. Except here its some dipshit actually yelling it into the mic. While rushing the enemy base alone. And getting killed over and over. And then blaming everyone on his team for not saving his dumbshit a*s.

we play mlg quite often on customs and mm infact we planin a MLG lan at a friends place in delhi hopefully next month ill be flying down from Mumbai for it :)

we need more plyrs for mlg customs unfortunately non of u guys ever join which is sad cause its strange most Indians prefer playing in lag rather than green pings...

we need more plyrs for mlg customs unfortunately non of u guys ever join which is sad cause its strange most Indians prefer playing in lag rather than green pings...

No I think you will find that most Indians prefer playing people of their own skill level rather than be cannon fodder in your games. Blame yourself, you guys are freakishly good. :P

nah man thats not the case i have players playing Reach as their first Halo series game and play with us on customs they had no clue about MLG either in the beginning but after playing a couple of times they understood the game type and now are good players... its just practice IMO... plus i can give you guys pointers about spawns and callouts on maps and weapon spawn times that way your game improves automatically... you guys should join and keep the Indian Halo community alive...

it just feels sad when i see firang players stream they have 45-50 plyrs online and each and everyone on Halo and here even though i have 5-6plyrs online its like wow we have 6 Indians online.. but out of which 2-3 never join us <_<

I play Halo ODST almost daily in office (4 player local split screen) and usually play Reach at home online. I rarely came across any Indians while playing and after a while things started to get boring. Good players left the match 'se they thought others were noob and noobs left 'se they thought others were pros and in the end I was left with 1 or 2 other players and a long waiting period for finding folks. Sad part is that many-a-times, those who just left were again chosen in match-making and then the leave again :).

Thats why i didn't find enough motivation to buy the latest reach map pack (Halo CE one). Waiting for Halo 4 though and hoping to have a good local community.

Yeah, I'm with Afty. Reach matchmaking is soo good. It pits me up against players of my skill level. I feel at home when I play alone (online).

@ Mak

I'd love to join you guys too, but you guys play so dedicatedly. I'm not so dedicated and my timings are variable :(

Archived