The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

So how do you explain that Z1 performs the worst in almost every condition.
For a phone being advertised as the Best in the world, this is ridiculous .

You are stuck on just the camera, get a G2 then. Stop whining because almost everyone who owns it (MT Sire here) and most review sites have mentioned it to be a software issue which can be tided over with updates.

Also, here are benchmarks where the Z1 comes on top (or close enough),

If the camera department is of a key concern to you, then the 20.7MP Exmor RS camera of the Xperia Z1 should sounds quite appealing. It's a great piece of camera hardware, but is let down by the software it accompanies it.

The pleasant surprise in this whole package — the G Lens camera — finally managed to convince us that Sony has indeed created a winner with the Xperia Z1. The camera easily outperforms any other Android smartphone out there as far as picture-taking goes. Sadly, the video isn't anything spectacular, but at least it's not too bad.

The Xperia Z1's slick, waterproof design, its good screen and of course its monstrously powerful processor make it a hugely impressive phone, easily justifying its flagship status. It's let down, however, by a high-resolution camera that doesn't produce attractive photos, and its battery life is disappointing too.

2/3 reviews are positive and only CNET is carping about the camera being bad.

Video playback battery life is not great but talk-time on 3G is best among flagships.

How does this make the Z1 a 'bad' purchase, I don't know. And while we are at this hopeless argument about marketing, no one projects themselves as, WE ARE TEH SUCK BUT PLZ BUY PHONE. RABBITS LOVE YOU. Doesn't mean you fall for this.

Everyone advertises, markets as dependable and desirable products that you will not regret purchasing, doesn't mean you fall for it.

Absolutely true, this whole sudden race of camera to be spectacular on your phone is a farce. 95% of the times the photos taken from your mobile stays there with no action taken afterwards, and almost 90% camera out there click photos good enough to be uploaded to facebook.

If you think camera is the reason you need to buy a phone, buy iPhone 5s or Lumia 1020.

What i find disappointing in Z1 is the web browsing time, LG G2 almost offers double the time. This is one aspect i will be more worried because this is something which is used daily, not the camera.

oh and speaking of camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRKu785g0O0

Edited by AtheK

Checked out a Z1. Is it just me or are the viewing angles on Z1 really worse than the Z? On the Z1, top-down viewing angles are as bad as the Z while side viewing angles are even worse?!? If its any consolation, colors pop out on the Z1 unlike the Z. Still i find it hard to believe that the ZU and the Z1 use the same display! :blink:

EDIT: Oh and the Z1 UI is snappier...

Edited by pixeljunkie

Checked out a Z1. Is it just me or are the viewing angles on Z1 really worse than the Z? On the Z1, top-down viewing angles are as bad as the Z while side viewing angles are even worse?!? If its any consolation, colors pop out on the Z1 unlike the Z. Still i find it hard to believe that the ZU and the Z1 use the same display! :blink:

EDIT: Oh and the Z1 UI is snappier...

Even ihave been reading about screen issues, and yellow tint.

I got to use a friends 5s and gotta say.. It's really amazing!! Tempted to sell my htc one for it.

I've never liked iPhones..but the fingerprint scanner makes it really convenient to lock the phone now

Unlock you mean :P

i am surprised that viewing angles are prevelant head on as well, this is a cause of worry. I do not read too much into angles sideway, it makes absolutely no difference in personal use of phone, but head on is a huge worry.

Will check it out next weekend.

saw the phone today, it's def a better screen then the Z. I increased brightness all the way to top. Viewing angles are doable. It was next to Note 3, AMOLED display shined much better. The shutter key is really good, camera worked well in the showroom lightning. Zooming the pic does reveal a lot of noise, but then it is a 20 mp camera. Built really well, and feels zappier and faster.

I still think some one who has Z should not even look at this phone and wait for next year, i am also double minded as i have a Z at home and i can easily swap phones with wife. G2 seems to be a better choice, but i can't find it anywhere here.

saw the phone today, it's def a better screen then the Z. I increased brightness all the way to top. Viewing angles are doable. It was next to Note 3, AMOLED display shined much better. The shutter key is really good, camera worked well in the showroom lightning. Zooming the pic does reveal a lot of noise, but then it is a 20 mp camera. Built really well, and feels zappier and faster.

I still think some one who has Z should not even look at this phone and wait for next year, i am also double minded as i have a Z at home and i can easily swap phones with wife. G2 seems to be a better choice, but i can't find it anywhere here.

Pit my Z against a Z1 and the viewing angles were definitely better on my Z at full brightness on both. Same results at two Sony showrooms rules out the possibility that either of the display units were defective.

Now i'm positive that its the factory calibration that is holding back the Z - LINK. Will Sony improve the Z's display in 4.3?! :wOOtjumpy:

Edited by pixeljunkie