The Automobile Thread

Chaztin

i never meant to say that you should've bought it, i mean I would have bought it, it looks sexy to me :)

Agreed. To each his own.

Chevy beat looks wayy too girly IMO. I'd not go smaller than an i10. But thats just me.

Meanwhile, Etios has released a hatchback version. Looks just as shitty as the Etios. WTF Toyota! Although they got the pricing right with the car. Brilliant pricing for a sedan.

@GS

Hyundai Verna looks pretty rad IMO. I thought the old Verna crdi had a stonker of an engine? M sure this wont disappoint.

I love how good the new Verna looks. And knowing Hyundai it will generally be reliable. Loved the Accent and how nice it was. So I don't doubt this will be any different. The reason I didn't offer any opinion about it is because I've never driven one or been near one. Not seen too many around the place either. Heard it brings a fair bit of kit too.

Etios? Blah. Looks shitty. Like a Logan from behind.

the new Skoda Superb :cheers:

Skoda? Baaaaaaaad A.S.S car! :scarerun:

Skoda? Baaaaaaaad A.S.S car! :scarerun:

:giggle:

btw gaurav could you let us know how your Cruze is doing ? a summary perhaps ? :fear:

1. You have a LT or a LTZ ?
  2. What s the mileage that you get in the city , with what kind of driving ?
  3. If its the manual version how is the hard clutch thing that it is notorious for ?
  4. Have your brake pads been replaced yet and if yes at what no of kms ? :fear: ( another thing with cruze that I read about )
  5. Can you give your service costs as well ?

lots of questions sorry :scarerun:

Already have a civic and it's one of the best car around IMO performance wise , looks wise and for the price range, so no point in going and buying another honda and I am specifically looking for a diesel engine, buying. a petrol car with today's fuel prices is out of question. :suicide:

Hence only cruze , Altis and new verna is in the option.

Btw I don't know about others but I hate automatics, I feel te gears are integral part of driving expereince , at least for me.

manual cars win hands down but the fooking roads in mumbai take away all the driving pleasure of manual cars.

cruze and altis, both are same IMHO as in buyer's POV. now the only concern you should have is the after sales service. Toyota's a brand name.u'll get better service and cheaper parts. so it not mean a hefty investments if, god forbid :devil: , nething happened to the car. u can go for a chevy if the service in your area is good.

n IMHO after sales service should be top priority than good looks n fancy accessories because u'll need it the most if something happens. n for most cars initial 1-2 yrs the car is good and then the problems start . especially if u have a diesel.

toyota's a name . go for altis. u'll have peace of mind atleast.

:giggle:

btw gaurav could you let us know how your Cruze is doing ? a summary perhaps ? :fear:

1. You have a LT or a LTZ ?
  2. What s the mileage that you get in the city , with what kind of driving ?
  3. If its the manual version how is the hard clutch thing that it is notorious for ?
  4. Have your brake pads been replaced yet and if yes at what no of kms ? :fear: ( another thing with cruze that I read about )
  5. Can you give your service costs as well ?

lots of questions sorry :scarerun:

1. LTZ with all the bling options other than the mirror turn indicators (which we felt would easily break in our Chennai traffic what with the autowallahs drawn to such stuff like a moth to a flame :P )

2. Lots of start-stop driving in city ... gives around 11kmpl (dropped from when it was brand new :( ). Highway driving gives around 16-17.

3. Manual (was the only version available at launch date). Clutch is pretty easy. Once you drive it for 2 days, you get used to it. It's not HARD as such, just that u need to be slightly careful when you release it to prevent stalling. I had a problem with that when I moved to it from the Accent and Baleno, but when you drive it regularly you won't feel it. These days when I switch between the Baleno and Cruze, I don't have any trouble at all, even in bumper to bumper traffic.

4. No, no replacement. Brakes are as strong as ever. Helps when you floor the accelerator :fear:

5. Well our 1 year free service period just finished and the recent services cost around 1-1.6k. This time around they spewed some crap about oil filter replacement (there really was no issue with it, just trying to get some cash, our dear Sundaram Chevrolet ). Dad told them no need. If we'd replaced it though it would have been 6k this time around. You only need to replace it at 15,000km for this car but these fellows wanted to change it for the heck of it. My one big fear is that the Chevy guys here don't have too much of a thorough understanding of the car itself and that any serious electronic faults will need repairs that they might not quite know how to perform well. We've had none of those though, so fingers crossed.

One problem we ran into was that the battery died exactly at 1.5 years after purchase. The issue was that a replacement battery just COULD NOT be purchased from any dealer. The particular battery required was an OEM piece only available to Chevy themselves. The distributor here flat out refused to sell us this piece. And they don't quite give you a piece wrapped in plastic and with a neat warranty card. None of the chevy dealers in fact. Finally we paid 12k to these guys and had them do it themselves. They only give you a warranty of 1 year based on the bill they send in your mail. These small things are why I say that Toyota may have better service, but hey the grass is always greener on the other side :giggle:

However, raise the issue on TeamBHP with a few pictures and also contact Chevy via their facebook page and they'll get in touch with u ASAP if you have some problem. If the local dealer gives you any grief, just contact Chevrolet/GM India's email support or said FB group admins and they'll take every effort to set things right. I did it once when they botched up a polishing job and returned the car without cleaning even the floor mats during one service. Chevy India central called the local dealer up and tore him a new one, after which they've been very nice with me :lol:

All said and done it's one of the cars we've been happiest with. For the looks, the features and the power it delivers on road. Plus the price isn't too much either when you compare the rest of the bunch (Civic, Corolla Altis etc). And this is the car that made us make the BIG (for our family) jump from Petrol to Diesel. We've never had a diesel car ... ever. Much like Jeremy Clarkson we think of it as the Devil's Fuel. But the Cruze and our govt's frequent price increments :P changed it all. More so the former.

• Like 1

Imo the Civic still looks better than Cruze. The dealer issue might not be a such a problem for me since the GM dealer from Navi mumbai is a good friend of my dads, but if the staff's themselves are noobs then there is hardly anything that could be done about it. BTW The 12K battery thing is a total rip off, i always get a discount and some monies back from the battery dealer for handing in the old battery. but i see this wont be happening with the GM guys it seems.

Imo the Civic still looks better than Cruze. The dealer issue might not be a such a problem for me since the GM dealer from Navi mumbai is a good friend of my dads, but if the staff's themselves are noobs then there is hardly anything that could be done about it. BTW The 12K battery thing is a total rip off, i always get a discount and some monies back from the battery dealer for handing in the old battery. but i see this wont be happening with the GM guys it seems.

Well it was 10.something K + some 500 or so service. We kept the old battery and sold it off to some local guy for a good enough price. Don't go by the Sundaram Chevrolet experience though. Sundaram Motors is infamous for it bad service in Chennai. Not Skoda A.S.S levels but bad in its own right.

I'd stay away from cars with low presence in the country. Which makes it easier for me to narrow down the list of cars I'd shortlist in case I make a purchase. I'm not confident of buying a Nissan or a Renault etc today.

Volkswagen is picking up presence. Lot of Ventos and Polos on the road, so I'd take a chance with them though.

I'd stay away from cars with low presence in the country. Which makes it easier for me to narrow down the list of cars I'd shortlist in case I make a purchase. I'm not confident of buying a Nissan or a Renault etc today.

Volkswagen is picking up presence. Lot of Ventos and Polos on the road, so I'd take a chance with them though.

Exactly, members should avoid new car companies like plague. Apart from companies prospect, getting these cars serviced and after sales is a headache