tut_getaway_original.gif

The Getaway

Developer:Team Soho

Publisher:Sony Computer Entertainment Europe

Genre:Free roaming action

Players:single,online multiplayer

Platform:PlayStation 3

Release:2008

SCE premiered a brand new trailer for its next-gen version of The Getaway (now just called "Getaway"), and while last year's Getaway demo focused on the depth of the town, this latest demo was a close look at what happens off the streets, away from the traffic, in the dark corners of Amsterdam's underground.

The short teaser shown at the event used what looked to be the same real-time engine from last year's E3 and from GDC a few months back. This time, however, it didn't show the landmark locations people expect to see. In fact, at first, it showed a quiet little suburban street, with housewives, townies walking about, bicyclists driving by, and Civics rolling down the street. But as the camera slowly pulled back, we entered a building and saw something unexpected. There, lying next to a toning payphone off the hook was a body -- one bullet through the brain. And past him was our lead character, hot with pistol and not a happy thought shown on his face.

The level of detail in this clip was fairly astounding, with detailed smoke pouring out of the gun and bloody scars on the main character. One of the coolest aspects of the engine -- if it remains at this quality in real-time -- is that texture is rendered with very hard shadows and highlights. As the camera swoops in from the idyllic street into the murder scene, we pass over a guardrail on the building's landing. The dark textures used here for the worn metal helps illustrate the shadowy world that we are about to enter into, with the realistic texture helping to lock down the reality of the scene. There are also nice camera effects like rack focus techniques as the camera comes in, shortening the focal distance to really present a cinematic moment.

Getaway still has only been shown in demo and trailer scenarios, with great technology but no actual gameplay yet to show how it improves upon the original two games. We're eager to see how this technology changes the next game in the franchise, although we don't expect new news on the game for a while. We'll see if we can dredge up more info on this game from the E3 show floor

Screens

the-getaway-ps3-20050916045717509.jpg

the-getaway-ps3-20060117010055233.jpg

Reviews

IGN-

gamespot-

1UP-

CVG-

• 7 months later...

by one of neogaf posters

I spoke to one of the lead designers working on the game earlier today. He told me a few other bits and bobs too. haven't made a GAF thread or post about it all yet.

I'll copy and paste my thread from IGN here.

Finally managed to have a little chit chat with one of the lead designers (at SCEE Studio's London/Soho) today. Slyly asked about both titles whilst conversing.

Interesting points from the conversation.

- GT5 Prologues London track is using assets taken from The Getaway 3.

- Designer reckons The Getaway 3 looks a little better than the GT5P London track, only on a bigger scale. Essentially Getaway 3 will look similar.

- When quizzed about how this was possible, he merely stated that it's easier to manage when you don't have to worry about 60fps or 1080p.

- Getaway 3 will run at 720p and 30fps.

- This time around The Getaway will focus more on crime/thriller suspense.

- Eight days is coming along very well. First proper public showcasing of gameplay will be this summer.

- Eight Days will not be quite as revolutionary as some have mentioned, but will have numerous innovations.

- Designer reckons Eight Days looks so good, he wouldn't be surprised if it gets 10's from reviewers for visuals.

- Eight Days and Getaway 3 are visually quite different, namely in contrasting art styles.

- When asked which game of the two he thought looked better, he said he thought Getaway 3 looked "a little bit better", but that both looked fantastic.

He also told me what kind of mock scores early play tests of Eight Days had been getting. Ranging from 8.5 - 9's for gameplay and 10's for visuals. But said he wouldn't go in to much detail or blow his trumpet, as we could decide for ourselves later this year. I'll take that as a hint the game is being released later this year. But he didn't budge on the subject.

Take it for what you will. It's from a genuine source. Got his business card and everything.

:bigyellowgrin::D :D an open world game with GT5 level graphics :sign_omg: :sign_omg: :sign_omg:

yeah it looks fantastic...now just sit back and wait for fanbois to come in and say.."buh buh itz aint pozziblez!!!"

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It had better controls than the first game. As long as you can handle the quirky controls (which are MUCH better than AitD) and love the setting, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The games quite short btw, and its divided into three sections where you play as three different characters. And yes, the obligatory stealth sections are present and are very very annoying to boot.

Let's have a few more opinions though.

anyone played getaway black monday.

is it good?

i am planning to buy one.

played the first getaway and i liked it.

need to know if black monday has some car chasing scenes like in getaway 1 and good action.

No

First one was better.

^^ How so? Reasons, man, reasons!

They really fine tuned the controls in the second one. The first had those idiotic indicator lights LOL :bigyellowgrin:

The 1st one was flawed but at the same time was very ambitious(atleast for the time)

The second had better controls (only very slightly) but everything else(characters, mission structure etc) was worse including horrible and at times unplayable framerate(which was bad in the first game )

Even worse is gangs of london. Ppl reading this dont go anywhere near that sh*t.

LOL :bigyellowgrin:

The second one was also a bit more forgiving with its missions. No constantly trying and failing the same missions and the health system was much more lenient. I say get both 1 and 2!

The 1st one was flawed but at the same time was very ambitious(atleast for the time)

The second had better controls (only very slightly) but everything else(characters, mission structure etc) was worse including horrible and at times unplayable framerate(which was bad in the first game )

Even worse is gangs of london. Ppl reading this dont go anywhere near that sh*t.

thanks kc

saved my Rs 499. :D

Archived