I got lucky and a fellow iVG member arranged an Early Access key for me for DAY OF INFAMY and by Jove' they really managed to nail the whole feel down.

I have been playing mostly Co-Op and only a couple of PvP matches (including storming Dog Red on Omaha) and here are my initial impressions,

• They have tightened the gunplay even more than INSURGENCY, because you have a higher concentration of semi-automatic and single-shot weapons systems with a distinct lack of aiming optics you really need to make every bullet count
  • Also, whatever few auto-weapons you get are woefully inadequate for long-range engagements not because some random RNG god is tweaking your firing cone but simply because these weapons fire oversized ammunition from too small a system making the weapon kick wildly even if you try to burst fire. Firing a .30 cal or MG34 / 42 even ADS is going to be ineffective unless you bipod the system (extra brownies for the latter making an absolute racket)
  • The UI is nice and open, you get all the information and nothing you do not, with a couple of markers thrown in for added emphasis
  • The sound design is all about them feels, I had turn down the volume because there is so much going on at any moment, there is artillery shrieking in, your allies are calling out the OpFor positions and anything over 80% volume on headsets is going to make your ears hurt
  • Team-play was complimented by adding mechanics like regrouping and officer class-system, the game features a live artillery system where a player with a radio set and a player playing as an officer have to get together to bring it down. I have never played as an officer so, I cannot tell if you can dial in specific coordinates or it is all guess work
  • There is basic terrain deformation and a decent particle system to accentuate the gravitas of the situation but no full on structural demolition going on here
  • Smoke actually works to camouflage your movements (just like IRL)

Will report as it goes along but if you were on the wire about this title coming from INSURGENCY do not hesitate. Some of the best moments to be had, even when playing Co-Op.

Also, if you are a bit confused about how the single-player is, it is basically the MP populated with bots and you get a good feel of all the weapon-systems without botching up someone's "hardcore" experience.

• 3 months later...

I recently started playing this.. It sure is tough to get a hold of the game mechanics..

I have played a few rounds and got some kills.. but in the game home screen my profile stats say 0 for all items.. check the highlighted part in this image..

20161205024647_1.jpg

Am I doing something wrong? What does the emblem on top of the DP mean?

No, it just takes some time for the stats to reflect.

Been playing this for several days now but still no updates to the stats.. Seems like a bug to me.. Does it reflect for you properly?

Also any tips for getting around the night mode? I tried both flashlight and NV goggles.. yet I'm still having a very hard time..

Been playing this for several days now but still no updates to the stats.. Seems like a bug to me.. Does it reflect for you properly?

Also any tips for getting around the night mode? I tried both flashlight and NV goggles.. yet I'm still having a very hard time..

Can be a bug, sometimes their stat servers are not responsive / down for maintenance. Yeah! It reflects for me properly.

Either use the torch or the night-vision goggles. Never together as the torch will always blow your NV kit off plus know when to switch of NV, you do not need it when you are inside a well lit area / peeking into the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived