PS3 HDMI display flicker at 1080p

piper

I'm having a curious problem with my display. My PS3 is connected to 22" full HD monitor (Dell ST2210) via HDMI.

When the display is at 1080p, e.g. the main menu or some rare games like Black Ops, then the display blacks out for a couple of seconds every 10 seconds or so.

1. When I play games at 720p or 1080i, then it runs fine.

2. The same HDMI cable earlier connected my PC to this very monitor and there were never any issues.

3. Its probably related to HDMI connectivity somehow as the PS3 responds even during the black screen (I've tested this).

My guess is its something to do with HDMI version of PS3, my monitor, and possibly the cable quality. I'll borrow my friends cable tomorrow and pray its just a cable issue.

Anybody got any suggestions, hints, tips, tricks or plain black magic :bigyellowgrin: on how to resolve this.

22 inch ke monitor pe 720 aur 1080 mein kisse farak dikhta :slap: 720 pe chalane ka :good:

Wah bhai, aap ki baat mein dum hai. Vaise when was the last time you got your eyes checked :roflroll: ?

the same problem i faced when i had 24" Lg246WP,,

it just was happening, i thought there were some pS3 issues/problem/hardware malfunction

just kept this in mind, i even went to sony Service centre, i somwhow persuaded them to change my PS3, which was ofcourse under warranty.

so they took about 1.5 months, and i got it replaced

but i was feeling so silly when i saw the problem was till there.

so ,,

concclusion: there might be some monitor delaying display issues,. but ur PS3 is just fine

hope this wud help

best of luck buddy

Wah bhai, aap ki baat mein dum hai. Vaise when was the last time you got your eyes checked :roflroll: ?

the eyes that needs to be checked are yours, 1080p factor comes into play with the displays above size 40".....what is ur screen display size u said? 22"

GLOL!

stop dreaming and start believing!

and no, nothings wrong with your PS3

the eyes that needs to be checked are yours, 1080p factor comes into play with the displays above size 40".....what is ur screen display size u said? 22"

GLOL!

stop dreaming and start believing!

and no, nothings wrong with your PS3

Dude, not challenging your view coz you're free to believe in whatever you wish.

But lets say I set the resolution to 1280x720 on my PC (with this very monitor), I can see a visible loss in quality as compared to when I view the same content in 1920x1080. Unlike large screen TVs, with such a small monitor I would be sitting fairly close to it (1.5ft to 5ft max). At such close range, the difference in quality is clearly visible. I tried it with Black Ops too, forcing my PS3 to 720p. The game looked pixelated.

Chk with a friends cable once. Dont think its a ps3 issue.

Even I feel its the same thing. My cable cost like Rs. 140 so can't go about hoping too much from it. Though PS3 is HDMI v1.3 so most cables should work.

piper bhai. get a better cable from croma. they have good quality ones for reasonable prices.

and yeah I do agree that when you are sitting closer to the screen you get to see all the difference in this world between 720p and 1080p.

whereas what khurana said is also true. but that is for lcdtvs above 32" that you view from a distance.

Even I feel its the same thing. My cable cost like Rs. 140 so can't go about hoping too much from it. Though PS3 is HDMI v1.3 so most cables should work.

140?

u shud get a good cable re.

i will tell u my experience. bought my bravia and ps3 together from croma. i asked him to give me a good cable and dualshock free. on delivery, he gave me a "chalu" cable. my kz2 (which came with ps3 bundle) was giving 576p :rofl:

i went back to him and got a new good one. the output hasnt been a problem after that.

though ur problem is different...

Dude, not challenging your view coz you're free to believe in whatever you wish.

But lets say I set the resolution to 1280x720 on my PC (with this very monitor), I can see a visible loss in quality as compared to when I view the same content in 1920x1080. Unlike large screen TVs, with such a small monitor I would be sitting fairly close to it (1.5ft to 5ft max). At such close range, the difference in quality is clearly visible. I tried it with Black Ops too, forcing my PS3 to 720p. The game looked pixelated.

PC and PS3 is different. on PS3 u cannot tell the quality difference between 720p and 1080p on a 22" display, whereas on PC resolution is THE sh*t! it's everything for eyecandy.

well, whatever, u have ur point, and u can defend it to hell and back, but the world already knows the answer, and when u actually understand it, u will look back at ur foolishness and laugh like a mad dog...

PC and PS3 is different. on PS3 u cannot tell the quality difference between 720p and 1080p on a 22" display, whereas on PC resolution is THE sh*t! it's everything for eyecandy.

well, whatever, u have ur point, and u can defend it to hell and back, but the world already knows the answer, and when u actually understand it, u will look back at ur foolishness and laugh like a mad dog...

+1

Presently PS3 has next to nil 1080p titles, but the ones that exist would surely be useful in showing the difference. I'm waiting to get my hands on Wipeout HD, and will definitely play the game in both 720p and 1080p and get my 20/20 vision checked out in real time.

The main issue at hand was the display flickering. That has been resolved as I borrowed my friend's cable and it works like a charm. His TV is 720p and my cable works fine for him so it has worked out fine (didn't need to buy a cable... yet).

By the way, folks and old IVGians, thanks for the sweet way in which you all have given your caustic comments to what I feel was a simple concern that I raised (this is the 2nd time I'm getting burnt by everyone for no reason, thats some warmth ppl at IVG have).

good to know that u have ur issue sorted, now keep on gaming baby :punk:

Was expecting something more below the belt, but thanks bro. Black Ops ahoy! (not as good as BFBC2 so far :( )

Nothing beats BFBC 2 :punk:

Next game I buy which are MP heavy , UC 3 and BF3

Repppppppppped! Me too will preorder UC3 and BF3.

• 2 weeks later...

But for 24" FullHD monitor...they are different right ?

But for 24" FullHD monitor...they are different right ?

For me, there is a difference between 720p and 1080p. I played WipeoutHD and it clearly shows the difference.

For me its very huge difference..when i set 720p , i cant even play with playing in 1080p HD..very bad. Full HD rocks.

Both are very different

Archived